5.0 out of 5 stars Three outstanding books on the Civil War
Published on March 7, 2000 by Charles Rhoads

3.0 out of 5 stars Good Books
The books were fine. The error was mine in that I was expecting a larger sized book,
like Jeff Scharra's Civil War Battlefields 7" x 9" book. The books I bought were 4" x 6 3/4"
I would have preferred hard cover books like the other Scharra books I already have.
Published 22 months ago by Teresa A. Jarvis

5.0 out of 5 stars Three outstanding books on the Civil War, March 7, 2000
This review is from: The Civil War Trilogy: Gods and Generals / The Killer Angels / The Last Full Measure (Paperback)
Yes, these books are fiction, but they are all based on fact. Although the authors take some liberties with specific facts, most of the writing follows very closely to the actual events of the Civil War. When you read other "non-fiction" books on the Civil War, the accuracy of these books will be evident. If you liked Killer Angels, you will love Gods and Generals and the Last Full Measure. Jeff Shaara writes exactly like his father and completes the entire story of the Civil War. I couldn't put them down.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, excellent and excellent!, July 23, 1999
By A Customer
Several months ago I saw the movie "Gettysburg" based on Michael Saara's novel- The Killer Angels. Since I was deeply moved by the film I decided to buy the book. I couldn't put it down- it was even stronger that the film. M Saara didn't try to stick to one side of the story: he wrote it from the point of view of those who took part in the Civil War with no regard to the colour of their uniform. He portrays us the battles and the feelings of the soldiers from both camps in an intelligent and beautiful way and style. After his father's death, Jeff Saara decided to continue his work by writing two other books which all together make a wonderful and touching trilogy. The two novels written by Jeff are as good as 'The Killer Angels' and I would like to shake his hand and tell him how breathtaking and deeply human this trilogy is. Good work! Don't miss it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Moving, inspirational, educational - a must read!, November 5, 1999
Susan Tribble (Merrimac, MA USA) - See all my reviews
This trilogy has touched me like no other books based on historical events have. Knowing full-well that these books fictionalize certain aspects of the characters, they nonetheless stir the emotions and evoke sympathy equally for both sides. Based on the descriptions of the early part of the war, I felt exasperation for the inept decisions of the northern leaders; later, as the inevitable end approached, I ached for Lee and the suffering of the confederate soldiers. These books opened up issues that in my previous studies were depicted in much more black and white terms. By the stirring depictions of the actions and characters, myriad and complex social and economic issues are raised, many of which continue to be debated today. These books have inspired me to pursue additional studies in the Civil War. I highly recommend that they be read by every American; they provide an interesting and emotional baptism into the most pivotal period of our nation's history.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Father and Son's Masterpiece, May 29, 2000
This trilogy about the American Civil War was inspiring to me. These books showed the leaders of this war in a different way than any other history book I've read. It showed their thoughts and feelings. This trilogy showed me why generals made certain decisions in that time period. The trilogy showed me why the war had come about. The trilogy also showed me what happened to the leaders after these horrible events that had to happen. These are the greatest books I have ever read.

5.0 out of 5 stars My three most favorite books of all time..., October 20, 1999
I disagree with B. Borden's review of these books. These three books are my three favoirte books of all time. Killer Angels is absolutely the best. The writing style in Gods and Generals seemed so close to the Killer Angels that you would think it was the same author. The books cross-reference one another. After reading Gods and Generals I had to read Killer Angels again and it just FLOWED so smoothly! The Last Full Measure gave me a sense of closure by completing the saga. I would probably give The Last Full Measure 4 stars, not quite as much of a page-turner as Killer Angels and Gods and Generals, but still VERY good reading. (My wife makes fun of me because I had a few teardrops roll down my cheeks reading the end of The Last Full Measure).

5.0 out of 5 stars Truly genius works!, March 19, 2003
Jaha (CT United States) - See all my reviews
I had never been much of a civil war buff until after I saw the film Gettysburg. The movie was so good that I ran out and bought the entire trilogy. I must say the the father and son duo have a gift for prose rivaled by few. The most intriguing aspect about these novels is not only are they a great story but that they are inhabited with factual characters and events. They do not read like history books rather more like a fictional novel and they are so well done you can almost believe that this is the exact way everything transpired. What ulimately gets me about these books is not the great storytelling but at the characters the Shaara's develop. The battle descriptions and plotline is adequately described but the interactions and conversations held between the main characters is amazing. Plus the Shaara's obviously studied hard and every character is based upon a historical figure. Even down to some privates. This is a unique trilogy in that it began with the middle book (The Killer Angels) written by Michael. After his death and the development of the film Gettysburgh, Jeff took over and wrote the first and last novels. Jeff not only captures his fathers writing style and character development but he also furthers it. The original novel by Michael was rather short yet still compelling. Jeff's prequel and finale are much more in depth, longer, and full of more detail. At times Jeff struggles a tad to keep some emotions in line with his fathers work and while these are not bad they tend to appear out of place in his own books. Jeff's battle descriptions are also much more in depth than his fathers. One finaly aspect that may hinder your enjoyment of Killer Angels is that the movie was pretty much taken from the book verbatim. Therefore there aren't many scenes in the novel that never made it to the big screen. This may be a let down if you are looking for more out of the novel but it still is a great read. If you are into the civil war or just like to read great novels these are a must read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Civil War 101, August 2, 2005
If I had to teach a course on the Civil war these books would be required reading. I have read a lot on the subject and nothing comes as close as these for their relevance as well as their entertainment value.

Jeff Shaara and his father have put together possibly the best historical fiction epic that has ever been written. Jeff mimics and surpasses his father's style in bringing the 1st and 3rd parts of this series to life. It takes you from the precursors of the war to just past its ending. Although they are technically classified as novels they may as well be considered non fiction because of the accuracy of the research.

It was wise to package all three of these together as I don't think too many people would be satisfied with just reading one.

Although I thought the movies based on two of these books were historically interesting they did seem to drag on in places. None of these books do that. If you want to add to an already great series get Gone For Soldiers by Jeff Shaara and read it first. All of the major players in this series are introduced in that work. You also see their relationships and backgrounds more fully developed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing and Thrilling Story, April 9, 2003
"dreaming1986" (Wakefield, RI United States) - See all my reviews
Since I took a trip to Gettysburg, PA, when I was 12, I've always been quite interested in the Civil War. I saw the movie Gettysburg, and read miscellaneous articles and such online about the war. Last year I invested in Gods and Generals and The Killer Angels, both of which were phenomenol. I enjoyed Jeff Shaara's depiction of Thomas "Stonewall" Jackson, especially how he was as a husband, a father, a soldier, and a man. J. Shaara did a wonderful job of showing the order of events that led up to the war, including Robert E. Lee turning down command of the United States Army. "The Killer Angels" was absolutley amazing, with a slighly different style of writing than Jeff Shaara. I loved Michael Shaara's depiction of James Longstreet and Joshua Lawrence Chamberlain. There was never a dull moment in this novel, and it should be tought in every United States History course in the country. Shaara brings you to a swift conclusion, leaving you breathless. The sequence of events including the Battle of Little Round Top and Chamberlain's 20 Maine Regt. was fantastic, and very addicting to read. Also, Shaara's story of Pickett's Charge was very thrilling, especially his depiction of Lewis Armistead and his relationship to Winfield S. Hancock. "The Last Full Measure" was also very entertaining, with some very harsh chapters. The story of Cold Harbor and the tunnel was very chilling, and Lee's surrender is quite sad, but Chamberlain's ordering his men to salute their countrymen was quite good.
Overall, I recommend this trilogy to every person who is interested in learning about the Civil War, especially the Southern Cause, and about the men that led the armies.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best books I've ever read - EVER!, September 8, 1999
By A Customer
I don't know that I could write better reviews than those quoted in these three books by prominent Civil War historians, but as a US History teacher I have never read better material to bring a story to life. It is hard sometimes to convince young minds that people and events from our past are more than just words in a textbook. These books do just that, and I plan to share them all with my classes. Though there are literally thousands of accounts of the great battles of the Civil War, these books, told from the perspective of the men who were actually there, will make you feel as if you are there with them. You will feel their frustrations, share in their triumphs, and finally see through their eyes what this war really meant to the men in uniform. As a person who reads a great deal of historical literature, fiction, and/or nonfiction, I can truly say that these three novels are the best books I have ever read on any subject, Civil War or otherwise. This is brilliant work. I only hope Jeff Shaara will continue his writing career and take us even farther back in time to when these men all fought on the same side, in the Mexican War.

5.0 out of 5 stars Civil War Trilogy, July 17, 2003
A Kid's Review
I read all three books and I thought they were amazing. I learned more about the Civil War through these books than through any history class I have ever taken. You will actully feel you know these characters and when one dies you will feel the pain. My favorite character was Joshua Lawernce Chamberlin. You follow him from when he volunteers for the army until the end of the war. You will also follow Lee, Longstreet, and Jackson for the Confederates. You follow Buford, Hancock, Grant, and of course Chamberlin for the Union.It is a story or normal men caught up in amazing times. It is an epic journey through America's darkest period when friends fought friends, when brothers fought brothers, and when Americans fought Americans.

$48.00 $32.87