5.0 out of 5 stars Song list- I'd want to know this before buying
Here are the contents of this book so you can see for yourself whether it is a match for your ability and interest, and whether there are enough tunes you don't already have to make purchase worth your while.

.....TUNES.....................................OTHER CONTENT.....
Au Clair de la Lune.......................ABCs of Music
Balmoral...
Published on June 22, 2011 by nonpareil

2.0 out of 5 stars frustrating CD
I was quite frustrated with the book and CD. it makes large leaps by letting you play a tune on your own and then jumps to a new lesson. too much toggling of the CD required and I am not ready on lesson 1 to jump to playing on my own. I want to play along and see if I have it right or not.

It also jumps from learning very easy note exercises to playing full...
Published 18 months ago by W. Nielson

5.0 out of 5 stars Song list- I'd want to know this before buying, June 22, 2011
nonpareil (rural New England, USA) - See all my reviews

Uir-Chill A' Chreagain
Wagoner's Lad, The
Wallflowers
West Fork Gals
What Shall We Do With A Drunken Sailor?
Will You Go To Sheriff Muir?
Wise Nora
Yankee Doodle

5.0 out of 5 stars The Best Tin Whistle Tutorial, December 23, 2001
If you want to learn to play the tin whistle, or if you've begun to play and need some direction, this set is by far the best available tin whistle tutorial on the market. Bill Ochs is a brilliant player and teacher. Buy this set, work through it, and then go to New York and take a lesson with Bill. You'll find all the information you need at his web site (look for the web address in the book).

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book for beginners, August 27, 2006
Very clear instructions. This book is obviously designed by someone who enjoys teaching the tinwhistle. In addition to tinwhistle basics, there are clear explanations of the basics of reading music. The lessons are well structured. This book is a good guide to people who want to learn the instrument on their own. It also has a good selection of tunes. Well worth the price.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, September 21, 2004
The history of the Penny Whistle was interesting. It gives such thorough instructions on playing with many good songs to play to. Just listening to the CD is enjoyalbe. I recommend this book. A person will get their money's worth with this book and CD.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wanna learn the tinwhistle..., May 16, 2007
If you want to learn how to play the tinwhistle, then this is the book. Starts you out with the very basics and works you up to the more advanced. Bill Ochs is by far one of the best whistle players out there. Make sure you buy the book with the cd; hearing how the tunes are played will help you to learn a lot better then the book alone. This is the best instruction book I have every seen. Clear, concise and never overwelming. You will not only love to play the whistle, but love learning to play.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Lessons, May 7, 2008
I really enjoyed all of the tunes in this book. It helped that I could read music to begin. The process of reading music is explained briefly and not until after you've already played a few songs, but the CD would definitely help anyone who was learning to read the notes on the staff for the first time. I don't think this would be a stumbling block or a reason not to get it- just something to be aware of. One thing I really liked was that there are short histories and backgrounds on the style of music.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Best I've ever used, January 21, 2008
I am just teaching myself how to read music and play the Tin Whistle. This is my second book purchased. I am finding this very user friendly. Even a novice like myself can learn , by listening and reading, then playing along. If I could, I would give this package 10 stars.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great way to pass time enjoyably, December 24, 1999
Russell Ball (Vancouver BC, Canada) - See all my reviews
I bought this book about three weeks ago and can already play a few simple peices.The accompanying cassette makes playing tunes all the more easy. I play guitar and am really into Celtic sounds. On a personal note, my grandfather used to play one quite well according to my mom but I was too young to remember. Now I am even more motivated ! BUY IT ! You won't regret it.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Pefect Book & CD, April 28, 2010
I wanted to learn to play the tin whistle, and had read good reviews about this book on Amazon. I got the deluxe with the CD. It is WELL worth every penny! It has been SO long since I've read music, I had forgotten how! I'd forgotten which notes are what! This book is great, it starts out teaching you to read music as well as how to play the notes on a Clark key of D tin whistle. It's easy to practice with the CD and self pace. I'm just now up to playing the songs without the letters below the notes, so I'm not advanced, but this book makes it so easy and fun to learn. I'm not getting frustrated and saying I'll never get it, I'm just going at my own pace and going further in the book and CD when I have time. When I don't I just spend a few minutes practicing what I've already gone over and cover the letters under the notes with a strip of paper. It's a great way to learn, and just what I had hoped for, I'm learning to play the tin whistle!

5.0 out of 5 stars A great book for beginners, December 29, 2008
Buck Bauer (ELDERSBURG, MD USA) - See all my reviews
This excellent book begins by explaining musical notation, for the student who doesn't already read music, but that doesn't get in they way for those of us who already do. The CD follows the text step by step, including dozens of tunes, so you can actually hear the sounds that can come out of a tinwhistle in the hands of an expert. Something to aspire to!

The CD has 91 tracks, not as easy to navigate as when it was on cassette tape -- you can't just stop at #51, and resume the tape at #52 the next day. . .

If you do buy this book, when you get to the paragraph on "balance finger," note that whereas Ochs recommends R3, the ring finger of the right hand, I find that R1, the index finger of the right hand, works better for me, because the R1 hole is directly above the right thumb. When you've learned to play an eight-note scale, try playing it with R1 covered for the notes B and C#. This can simply be incorporated in the fingerings for these notes where you find the need to use it. When playing either of these two notes, you may also find times when leaving R1, R2 and R3 all covered will facilitate rapid fingering. Don't try to understand what all this means now -- just remember I mentioned it, when you get to the stage where you will want to try it. With a little practice, it will become natural to you. Good luck!

The Clarke Tin Whistle.
The Clarke Tin Whistle. by Bill Ochs (Paperback - 1992)
Used & New from: $7.99