4.0 out of 5 stars Sweet and VERY short...
Published on June 14, 2011 by Amazon Customer

3.0 out of 5 stars drugs and alcohol
Published on February 3, 2012 by June

3.0 out of 5 stars drugs and alcohol, February 3, 2012
This review is from: The Clever Detective: Story 1 (A Fairy Tale Romance) (Kindle Edition)
For a kids story (I found it looking for a bedtime story for my little ones and the search was labeled 4-8 age) it was cute, if it had stuck to being a kids story. Too many references about drugs and alcohol in my opinion. Now my teenagers would probably enjoyed the story, but for 4 to 8 year olds, not so much. So it either needs to not show up in the 4-8 year old search or put a warning on the description for parents who are looking for a sweet bedtime story, not a night of dreaming about hangovers and drug trafficking.

4.0 out of 5 stars Sweet and VERY short..., June 14, 2011
I enjoyed this story, it was just a little too short... Literally! The main character reached her goal and solved the "mystery" just a little too quickly and easily. I feel the story would benefit from just a little bit more detail. More mystery in the mystery story would be great. Also, I expect a heroine to have to suffer and struggle just a little to be able to be called the heroine of the story. Other than that I really did enjoy this story. It's fun and silly (in a good way) contains references to alot of great stories from my childhood just brought into a more adult light. The Author is very talented and I look forward to reading more of her work.

1.0 out of 5 stars total waste, March 15, 2012
I found this title while searching for children's books. Immediately once you start reading it, there is a lot of adult content that children have no business reading. This book was definitely put in the wrong category and is misleading.

5.0 out of 5 stars Cute!, August 9, 2011
A little Alice in Wonderland. A showing by the three little pigs. A peek at the golden goose. A little rivalry with Bo Peep.

Linsey Lanier's The Clever Detective is a grown-up's trip down memory lane. We follow Detective Stacey Alexander as she meets with a potential client at an address that turns out to be a hollow tree with a door carved in its side. She soon finds herself hurtling down a dark tunnel and landing at the feet of her client, King Thrugood. This begins a trip through some of our favorite fairy tales as Stacey sets out across the Kingdom to find the missing Prince.

Ms. Lanier has a fun, flirty voice that had me thinking of the old black and white detective movies where the detective's voice gives the audience a play by play of the story. The author combined this technique with the fairy tale world to create a fun and unique short story that left me smiling all the way through.

If you're looking for a temporary getaway that's light and easy to read or one that leaves you with a good feeling about the world we live in, The Clever Detective will take you to that place. Kudos to the author.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not a childrens book, April 24, 2012
Will say the story is cute. I do not think it should be in children's catergory. This will teach me to read the book myself first.

3.0 out of 5 stars Short, sweet, and cute!, July 28, 2011
This is just a short, sweet, and cute story. Not much to it, but a fun "lunch break" read.

1.0 out of 5 stars Awful, November 30, 2013
I am a kid so I would know how much kids would like it. I have this one star because this book isn't good for children. I got it to read to my cousin and I read the first chapter to make sure they would like it. It had stuff in the first chapter for adults and not for children. Even though it is free don't waste your time reading it.

1.0 out of 5 stars No Clue, September 26, 2011
Susan K (North Carolina, USA) - See all my reviews
Well, I guess I just have no clue. This was amazingly nothing. I had to fast forward through it on my Kindle just hoping for something..........anything..........but alas and alack........nada.

4.0 out of 5 stars A clever and funny tale, October 16, 2011
This is a clever and funny story that relies on the readers' knowledge of fairy tales, which the author mocks. The three little pigs appear in the tale as three building contractors who prefer building houses made from bricks and a goose that lays golden eggs so that the king of the kingdom does not need to tax his subjects. The hero is a twenty-eight year old private detective who likes charming princes. She is hired by King Thrugood to find his son, a charming prince. The king thinks that a dragon has kidnapped his son. The private detective thinks he means a gang of thugs called the dragons, until she comes face to face with the fire spitting kind.

4.0 out of 5 stars Pretty good book., March 12, 2014
This book was okay. I would suggest it for ages 10 to 13. It was pretty good so that is why I gave it 4 stars. :) ;)