1,367 Reviews

3.0 out of 5 stars Season 7
Published on May 29, 2012 by L. C. Rainey

5.0 out of 5 stars Keeps Getting Better, August 7, 2011
This review is from: The Closer: Season 7 (DVD)
Most series go into a decline by the fourth season but there are ocassionally a few that do keep your interest beyond the fourth or fifth season. Very few improve. Closer is one that does. The seventh season finds the great cast clicking like a machine, with all the quirks of the characters we have come to care about continuing (I do miss Daniels and was sorry to see her go). The scripts are a nice mixture of drama and comedy as we have come to expect from Closer. The show revolves around Kyra Sedgwick, the head of the Major Crimes division, but several episodes allow the cast members to take center stage. Very nice. This is the best season yet. If you like Closer at all you will really like this season.

The first time I remember seeing Kyra Sedgwick was in Tai-Pan in 1986, who would have expected that young lady to evolve into this gorgeous woman. She just keeps getting better looking every year.

The eight season is scheduled to be the last, I expect they will go out on a high note. Perhaps leacve some room for a movie or two down the line.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Closer-Intelligent, Well-written & Superbly Acted, September 8, 2011
This review is from: The Closer: Season 7 (DVD)
There are only 4 television shows I actually watch and for 7 years, this has been one of them. I have waited for each new season and watched each episode avidly. Kyra Sedgewick is amazing - alternately sweet and savage and always, always, always driven by a purpose - get a confession. She is sensational in this role but she does not stand alone. Each of the cast members has grown and changed over the last 7 years, each contributes to the overall show.

And while praising the series, you cannot forget the writers who have had a wonderful run with The Closer.

The two part episode where Brenda, Fritz, Flynn and Provenza travel from Atlanta to LA in her parents RV with an armed robber in custody is funny, poignant and finally forces Brenda to tell her Mom what she really does day in and day out as the Deputy Chief of one of the largest police forces in the country. Well-written and superbly acted, the closing minutes of this episode bring tears to the eyes of all but the most jaded.

And these writers don't just do drama. Who else could have come up with an episode where Pope, Flynn and Provenza hand over all the evidence at a shooting to a Detective named...Dick Tracy? What about "Junk In The Trunk?" In this episode, Flynn is on the phone with Brenda when the car with the body in the trunk slips off the tow truck, flies down the hill behind him, hits a telephone pole and has a live electrical wire drop on it. Flynn, Provenza, the body in the garage and the ball game make up another hilarious episode.

I highly recommend this series, LOVE the Closer retrospective included in the Season 2 discs and will hate to see Kyra Sedgewick leave at the end of this season.

5.0 out of 5 stars LOVE LOVE LOVE The Closer, August 3, 2011
This review is from: The Closer: The Complete Seventh Season (Amazon Instant Video)
This is quite possibly the best show on TV (in my opinion). I love the cast, I love the writing. I keep thinking, they can't possibly do better than what they've done. And, every show is just more and more incredibly great!

5.0 out of 5 stars Farewell to Brenda, August 19, 2012
K. M. Bradley (Medford, NY USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Closer: Season 7 (DVD)
For you crime drama buffs this is a season not to miss! Not buying or seeing this season would be like leaving your car window open in a rain storm. Here are the main reasons why;
1. We find out who the leak was in Brenda's team. You will be amazed to find out who it was and who it wasn't.
2. We see the stunning final chapter of Brenda's plight to catch her archenemisis, attorney (and presumed rapist and murderer) Phillip Stroh. The only case Brenda could not close.
3. How the writers found a sensical way for Brenda to leave the show without killing her. (Well done)
Look I don't know much (I admit that), but the Closer is/was an excellent show, from season one to season seven. The rewatch value of this show is very high. New generations of crime buffs will enjoy this show for a long time.
For those that remember that first season watching and rooting for Brenda. Wanting to see Brenda prove herself to the other characters that she was the real deal. Watching Brenda gain the trust and confidence of her team, the Brenda way was great. One by one they all began to accept her and we saw the begings of a exceptional show, with good writing and great chemistry. With each season the episodes just got better (but just don't take my word, see for yourself).
Now what am I going to do on Monday nights around 9 PM eastern standard time? I guess I will go back to watching that sport with the odd shaped ball or those real athletes in the WWE.

3.0 out of 5 stars Season 7, May 29, 2012
This review is from: The Closer: Season 7 (DVD)
I am a huge Closer fan. I was prepared to not like the show since they do tend to type cast the southern and make fun of the accent. However, I started watching the earlier seasons and loved them. I gave Season 7 only 3 stars because of the over-arcing theme this year, which seems to be to torment and destroy Brenda (the main character). I "hope" things improve in the final 5 episodes this summer but it does not look good. I will say the murders and investigations are all still very good and the usual crew of characters are still wonderful. I even like her attorney but the storyline they are using turns me off more then makes me want to keep watching.

I will say the "cases" they are giving her a hard time over are the ones that made me stop to think about what happened, what is legal, what is right (not always the same thing) and what I would have done.

I am sad that this is the last season with Brenda. I will give Major Crimes a try but wonder if it will have the same feel without Brenda along to frustrate her bosses and protect her men.

5.0 out of 5 stars Closer not finished till summer 2012, November 27, 2011
Carol (Winnipeg, MB, Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Closer: Season 7 (DVD)
The Closer is my all-time favourite TV show and I have to come to the States to watch current episodes since it's not available in Canada. There were 10 shows in the summer, 5 this winter, and the final 6 next summer, so the seventh season won't be out until after that. I'm surprised that Amazon is listing the DVD for pre-sale already. I wish TNT was taking a page from Glee and offering the final season in two parts so I'd be able to purchase Part 1 now. I'm working on being very patient. I'm going to miss Kyra Sedgwick's fine acting and her Brenda Leigh character.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sad to see her go!, September 7, 2011
This episode brings us that much closer to the series ending. It was an excellent episode but just like the previous reviewer, I too am so ready for this cat and mouse game to be over! I would like to see Brenda go out with a bang! Say something like, her finding out that it was Pope all along who was leaking information to the other side so he can keep his job as chief of police. Or, Brenda finally realizing that he was never her friend! OMG, I can't wait until she finally realzies that! But best of all, the mayor admits that he always wanted to choose her for the job but he knew she wouldn't get rid of Pope but in light of his deceitful behavior, he is appointing her the new chief of police and althought Taylor is a kiss ass, and gets on every body's nerve, he is confident that she can handle him now that she is chief of police. That means that her whole squad will move up in rank and they can just ride off into the sunset. That's what I want to see happen!

5.0 out of 5 stars The Closer TV's Best Drama Series!, October 18, 2012
This review is from: The Closer: Season 7 (DVD)
The final six episodes of Season 7(Episodes 104 - 109) aired over the summer and are elidgible for Emmy and Golden Globe Award Consideration both in 2013. Some series phone it in during the final season. The Closer isn't one of those series and the last 3 episodes of Season 7 showcase just how talented and brilliant the actors and creative team behind the series truly are.

How the best acted, best written, best directed, best produced, highest rated basic cable drama series has never been nominated for Best Drama Series at either the Emmys or Golden Globes is shocking.

Kyra Sedgwick has rightfully won both the Emmy (Season 5 "Maternal Instincts") and Golben Globe (Season 2) Awards for Best Actress in a Drama Series for her work as Deputy Chief Brenda Leigh Johnson, which has given her the role of a lifetime.

TNT should bring "The Closer" back as a limited series every two years for six episodes, as Brenda Leigh Johnson is truly missed.

4.0 out of 5 stars The end of a fantastic run, September 11, 2011
This review is from: The Closer: Season 7 (DVD)
Just want to correct the first reviewer--THIS season is the LAST season for the show. Expectations & guesses are going wild, trying to figure out how the plots will play out for the last season. Will Provenza find love at last, or will it come out that he & Flynn are gay & walk of into the sunset? Will Brenda get pregnant, as happens more times that you think during menopause? Will Tao be assassinated by an unhappy convict who was convicted because of Tao's amazing work on every case? Will Sanchez find love, a love that is worthy of the memory of his dead wife?

Will Gabriel be hand-picked to work with the Mayor's security detail, or groomed for upper management by Chief Pope? Will Pope, who's put on too much weight, have a massive heart attack, moving Brenda into his slot temporarily & perhaps permanently? Will Captain Raydor marry Commander Taylor?

Will cast members be killed off, one by one, or will there be some kind of "going-away" party as the squad deteriorates for some reason & these six police officers & Buzz find jobs elsewhere? Will they say goodbye with that famous group hug, like the one on the last show of Mary Tyler Moore?

Will we see the return of those horrible Dutton children one last time, or Bill Groelick hiding in the shadows for Brenda to come by? Will Charlie come to visit, in college at UCLA, an honor student?

Will the writers rise to the challenge & make the most amazing transition from the reality of this show into the reality of unemployment? The writers & directors have been the worst thing about this season. That & their endless, stupid product placements & close-ups of Brenda's shoes. Maybe Jimmy Choo is getting a cut of the action.

For my money, this season is pretty much a 50/50 disappointment. Having Brenda chase after a murder suspect like a helpless little girl, Sir, slow down, please, please! Grrr---rrrr! Oh <weepy face> Sir, please, wait, please!

That's not how Brenda rolls. I love this show because it's about an amazingly strong woman unaffected by the fuzziness of emotions. She remembers everything about handling a case, while others are saying, "Chief, whatcha wanna do?"

Don't get me wrong. I love to see her cry, too. But she doesn' just cry over anything. When she cries, it's because of something that makes us cry, also.

I have never seen a female character so well developed & worthy of everyone's respect. She is it!

So I'll forgive the lame-duckness of 7th season & will be loyal to the show that's so good, I watch episodes of it on my DVR before I'll watch a regular t.v. show.

5.0 out of 5 stars Includes most entertaining episode in the entire 7-year run, September 4, 2012
This review is from: The Closer: Season 7 (DVD)
SEASON 7 shows satisfying growth of one continuing character, and the introduction of two interesting new characters.
Capt. Sharon Raydor (Mary McDonald) gradually proves to be a subtly sympathetic character.
Peter Goldman (Curtis Armstrong) is a despicable lawyer who is determined to destroy Deputy Chief Brenda Johnson.
Gavin Baker (Mark Pellegrino) is a thoroughly charming and disarming top-notch lawyer who tries to protect Brenda from Goldman's vendetta.

EPISODE 17 ("FOOL'S GOLD") is the most entertaining episode of the entire 7-year series, with Liz Provenza (Deidre O'Connell), providing considerable humor and charm as the first of Lieutenant Provenza's three wives.