5.0 out of 5 stars fantastic first novel
It's refreshing to read a first novel by an author who isn't trapped in his own insular world. This isn't yet another novel about a confused twentysomething trying to make it in the big city. It's a big, brainy, heartfelt novel, set during World War II, that is unashamedly exciting and fun to read. Big ups to Liam Callanan.
Published on February 9, 2004

2.0 out of 5 stars Potential arises from a misfire in this authors debut.
Cloud Atlast is the story of a WWII Bomb Disposal agent who is sent to Alaska in the wake of Japanese hot air balloon-bombs making their way across the Atlantic at the end of the war. While there he falls in love with a native Alaskan fortune teller and has various underming experiences with his sadistic commanding officer. The story is told in a series of flashbacks...
Published on March 21, 2006 by Surface to Air Missle

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 59 | Next ›

3.0 out of 5 stars Cloudy Thoughts, February 7, 2014
This review is from: The Cloud Atlas (Paperback)
While the book explores an interesting and often unknown topic with the backdrop of an Alaskan war time love triangle, it often becomes muddled and confusing in detail and description. In the end, it leaves the reader wondering about more than perhaps was really necessary, or more than what was able to be resolved in the print of its written pages.

5.0 out of 5 stars A happy accident, December 14, 2013
This review is from: The Cloud Atlas (Kindle Edition)
Like many others here I was aiming for the David Mitchell book but I am happy to have stumbled across this gem. The narrative style is charming with the reversion between the elderly narrator and the young protagonist creates an interesting rhythm to the text. The mysterious Japanese balloons and the mythology of the Yup'ik people are woven together rather beautifully to create a compelling story. An intelligent and conscientious novel. I will certainly be looking out for more of Callahan's work.

5.0 out of 5 stars Review of Liam Callanan's The Cloud Atlas, November 4, 2013
This review is from: The Cloud Atlas (Paperback)
The novel is set in Alaska during World War II. The Japanese are making bombs, attaching them to balloons, and sending them over the Pacific Ocean. This actually happened, I hear. One of them landed here in Oregon. The story is about a young soldier assigned to the bomb disposal unit, his crazy commanding officer who is intimately attached to a mysterious woman who looks Japanese, but is actually part Russian and part Yupic (a people native to Alaska). What I liked about this book was that it kept the reader guessing. Was this woman really using magic? Why did the narrator later become a priest? Was Captain Gurley going to finally shoot someone? And who was that boy?

It was a very good read, and I was very pleased my wife got it for me.

5.0 out of 5 stars Cloud Atlas, October 5, 2013
This review is from: The Cloud Atlas (Kindle Edition)
A great read! Liam Callahan will be visiting Altoona, Wi. Library soon. Normally I do not read World War 'll books but I enjoyed this book. It is suspenseful and a story of love lost and found, about friendship. I can hardly wait for the author visit to find out if some of the events actually happened during the end of the war.

4.0 out of 5 stars Wrong CLOUD ATLAS but I liked it, September 24, 2013
SatyaJZ (Seattle, WA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Cloud Atlas (Kindle Edition)
I ordered this book thinking it was the the book version of the movie--silly me! Since the film story was so tripped out, I was well into the novel before I was certain that I purchased the 'wrong' book. However, it was a great read in its own right. I loved the mystical allusions--particularly as they pertained to the native people's of the region. Living in Seattle, I'm about as far north as I care to be, and travel is usually to sunnier, more southerly climes. But I did enjoy this adventure up north very much! Well-written, great characters, and an interesting take on WW2 history.

5.0 out of 5 stars Mesmerizing., September 15, 2013
This review is from: The Cloud Atlas (Kindle Edition)
I think I will remember this book for a long time. It is beautifully written, sometimes the writing makes me yell out loud, and I just love it. I stopped reading at one point because it seemed to go on and on with too much Alaska, and I'm so glad I picked it up again. It's weird and quirky and it's hard to really like the main characters, especially the male ones, but I have to give it four and a half stars because I can't think of any book more deserving.

4.0 out of 5 stars Just started reading The Cloud Atlas, August 29, 2013
Linda (Morganton, NC, United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Cloud Atlas (Paperback)
I've just started reading the Cloud Atlas, but already I can tell this is going to be a good read. And it will surley help make the movie make more sense. You get pretty lost in the movie until you've watched it several times. So I'm hoping the book will help me understand the characters much better.

5.0 out of 5 stars Un-suspecting race against mysticism and virtue, July 23, 2013
This review is from: The Cloud Atlas (Kindle Edition)
A THOUGHT provoking novel for the adventurer within. Though some may say it's a military novel, it only is in the undertones and is more a spiritual novel which will leave you gripping your tight, with a warm cup of coffee, in a blanket.

3.0 out of 5 stars Make sure its the right one!, July 22, 2013
This review is from: The Cloud Atlas (Kindle Edition)
I bought this thinking it was a different book with the same name. Its a nice book though and still worth a read.

4.0 out of 5 stars This is was not the book I thought it was., January 25, 2013
This review is from: The Cloud Atlas (Paperback)
I ordered this book thinking that it was Cloud Atlas (the one that is coming out with Tom Banks). I started to read it after i finished the other and so far it's a pretty good book.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 59 | Next ›

The Cloud Atlas
The Cloud Atlas by Liam Callanan (Paperback - October 26, 2004)
$15.00 $11.98