Format: Paperback
According to Rita Emmett, the Deadly SINS of Clutter require just a little repentance. If you are saving everything, insisting on bringing stuff into your house that you don't need or setting things aside until you "decide about it," then you will definitely want to read this hilarious book about clutter. She believes there are only four steps to eliminating clutter and gives the four primary causes of clutter.

She explains how you can prevent clutter from returning, forever. If you are tired of sorting, wondering how you accumulated so much "stuff," or just need to organize your house, then this book gives excellent advice and even a "clutter quiz."

The book begins with a funny letter and then introduces you to the clutter generation. There are wonderful bits of information like the inspiring:

"Cleaning professionals say that getting rid of excess clutter would eliminate 40 percent of the housework in an average home."

Rita Emmett is also the author of "The Procrastinator's Handbook" which only took her 38 years to write. She is a recovered "Pack Rat" who knows how to motivate with humor and insight. She gives advice on how to organize books, notes, greeting cards, paper clutter, business cards and clothes. She delves into creative storage ideas and give excellent advice on how to sort a closet. She also addresses issues like:

What do I do with all this furniture I just inherited?
Do I really need to put some things in storage?
Will removing clutter lower my stress level?
What do I do with all these holiday decorations?

Her advice on e-mail has been very useful on a day-by-day basis. I like her idea of not even opening some e-mails. If I see "FW" it is gone. You may have to get a little selfish with your time, but it is "YOUR" time.

I started to read this book while my mother was moving. She is now sorting her office, but we were able to effectively organize the rest of the house while I was there for a week. We had some funny moments sorting through the "junk box" and it was quite the healing experience to see a house filled with boxes turn into "home."

As an organizer at heart who has helped numerous people clean up the clutter and organize their houses, I can highly recommend this book. My mother says I should do this for a living, but currently I'm exclusive.

One of my own secrets for reducing clutter involves giving away things to charity and consistently going through my house to find things I don't use anymore. I think if you take one room or one closet at a time, it is much easier to deal with clutter. I also find that putting a pile of unrelated items in the middle of a room makes it easier to decide what you don't need.

Books organized. Check.
File cabinet organized. Check.

I had to laugh when I noticed the picture on page 144. My mother used to teach me to organize my room as a child by pulling everything out from under the bed and everything that was disorganized in the closets. There I would sit organizing until I had a wonderful sense of satisfaction I never forgot.

~The Rebecca Review
Format: Paperback
My name is Don. I'm a Clutter-a-Holic. I come from a long line of Clutter-a-Holics. Can we be saved?

My wife was so thrilled when she saw this book come in the mail that I thought she would jump into my arms with joy.

The only reason that we can see the floor in our house is because my delightful wife is a neat freak . . . and she constantly takes action to contain my piles and clutter.

If I leave town for a few days, many piles will permanently disappear. I can't find anything when I return, but they do disappear.

Rita Emmett uses humor to deal with us Clutter-a-Holics. I assume that she believes that if she can help us laugh at ourselves we'll do something about the clutter. I found that her best jibes describe my relatives, leaving me feeling superior for being so much less of a Clutter-a-Holic than they are. I'm not sure that was her intention.

The book points out the close ties between procrastination, wishful thinking and negligence . . . all of which contribute to clutter.

If you really want to get rid of clutter (without getting rid of your Clutter-a-Holic) this book offers a good plan: Be the Clutter-a-Holic's buddy in erasing clutter.

Although ostensibly aimed at the Clutter-a-Holic, this book is more for the Clutter-a-Holic's co-inhabitants.

I came away from the book feeling like I knew a lot more about how to get rid of clutter (such as replacing my piles with files), but not feeling much more incentive to eliminate clutter than before.

Now if a book can make me want to get rid of clutter, that would be something.

The best method for me is to simply have to move every so often. Every time we move, a lot gets thrown away. If I haven't opened a box since when I moved it, the box gets dumped. I like that system!

Seriously, this is one of the best anti-clutter books I've seen. If you want to get rid of clutter but don't know how, Ms. Emmett is your author.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Format: Paperback
We all accumulate some amount of clutter over time but some of us gather much more than our share. This book is for those people who tend to have clutter lying about consuming any and all flat surfaces available in their home. The author takes a light-hearted look at the clutter problem while still offering good advice, specific techniques, and encouragement to help not only clean it up but change your lifestyle so it does not become a problem again. For those who have chronically cluttered homes, offices, garage, or whatever, The Clutter-Busting Handbook is a recommended read.
on August 24, 2005
Format: Paperback
To much unused - unneeded junk. Clothing I out grew (if I loose the weight - I'll get something new!) Also the question when making purchases--do I "need" this? Where will I put it? Paper, magazines and tons of other accumulated clutter- Rita with humor gives lessons on how to start the process of unloading the heavy burden of too much stuff.....she's a great teacher! Her terrific seminars are reflected in her books! I started with "The Procrastinating Child", then got her "Procrastinators' Handbook" after attending a seminar, he latest book is another fine piece of help in my house. As I get things in order- other members of my family are following her directions too - I am so grateful - GREAT FULL!!
on January 3, 2006
Format: Paperback
The books is great...and I can personally attest she lives what she writes. Even her 1/8 tsp. measuring spoon has a perfect little hook it hangs on ready for use. This book was funny and full of tips to help you unclutter areas not commonly addressed...like your car. Pick it up...enjoy the read...feel better about your stress free space.
on January 21, 2007
Format: Paperback
This book is easy to read. I would highly recommend it to anyone looking to have a little less clutter in their lives. I have 3 kids and after reading and implementing the ideas in this book am now feeling in total control of my house and home!
on July 11, 2012
Format: PaperbackVerified Purchase
I might be 62 and a 3 time grandma, but I didn't want my house to reveal these facts. There are times when you feel you must save something or display something and just pack it up for later in that overstuffed closet. My husband saves old batteries thinking they will be resurrected! Not me and not after reading this book. I had to do most of this purging when he was at work as he just thinks that jar of seeds will one day reach the garden and I know that they are long past their prime. Rita Emmett delves into our inner selves and reveals our private thoughts. Once I knew she knew, I started cleaning small areas and not just re-arrange but actually catorgorize and throw out. I even started to breathe easier with the relief of control over "things". I gave my children things that I had been asked to save for them and now it is on their conscience. I fight the urge to refill those newly cleaned areas with incoming objects but after 5 years of being clutter free, it isn't likely.
on August 30, 2014
Format: Kindle EditionVerified Purchase
I was interested in this book because I liked her "Manage Your Time to Reduce Your Stress" but I found "Clutter Busting Handbook" less useful, although still worth reading. She does excel at pithy observations. One of my favorites was "we all have stuff that we love -- for a while -- and then one day, instead of looking wonderful, it looks like clutter." Another insight was that clutter is often just postponed decisions, and that the postponement isn't just procrastination; it can come from "decision fatigue" because we have so many options and stimuli coming at us. Giving myself permission to set some boundaries was useful in getting over the "loss aversion" that is programmed into us and capitalized on to the max by marketers.
on November 12, 2012
Format: PaperbackVerified Purchase
Rita Emmett's book is right on the money! She has such good advise on clearing out out-of-date and out-of-fit clothing, little used furniture that is taking up valuable space, and the duplicate kitchen items that so many of us have in our kitchens. Her often humorous approach in telling us how to do it makes for interesting, enjoyable reading. It's a fine book and anyone with a clutter problem will gain much from reading and re-reading it.
on November 10, 2013
Format: Kindle Edition
I zipped through this book so fast and I'm usually a pretty slow reader. I feel motivated to start clutter busting. I feel so depressed looking ast clutter and disorganization. It's a reflection of what's going on in my head. I want to change all that and Rita's tips will make that happen. Thank you, Rita! Sincerely, Patricia. : )