Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: The Coach House
Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Melvins Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer WienerDog WienerDog WienerDog  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro STEM

Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:$2.99

on May 24, 2012
The Coach House is a good read. I can only become engrossed in a book when I care about the main character. I cared about Marie. And caring about the other characters was a bonus. The book encompasses big city life, small town life, ethnicity, ethics, domestic violence, and yet the story flows quite smoothly. I look forward to the sequel so that I can continue to be engaged in Marie's life.
on May 30, 2012
I really enjoyed reading The Coach House on many levels. For a first novel, Florence Osmund shows lots of promise as a budding author. Her story of Marie's life quietly grabs the reader until I was caught in its spell. I did not want to stop reading each night. The ending leaves the reader wanting more and more will be supplied in Ms. Osmund's second novel, its sequel called Daughters. I also liked reading about Libertyville, a town where Marie lives for a short while, because its where I grew up. Osmund's use of adjectives is stellar as her descriptions create visual images thus making the characters and scenes come alive.
on July 18, 2012
What a wonderful story this turned out to be! I actually bought the book because I loved the cover picture, and I'm so glad I did. From the beginning I felt a connection with Marie. Being swept off her feet by a gorgeous man who dabbled in the underworld, and then continued to lie to her about it, she eventually made the right decisions. Learning of her heritage may have been a shock to her, but in the end she handled it well, making me want to applaud her. Throughout the story, Marie went from one extreme environment to another, and with each she gained knowledge and insight, making her a strong likable character. The read was well worth my time. I can't wait to read the next one.

Carole McKee, Author
on June 2, 2012
this book is so easy reading. even tho it is set in the early 40's, I found myself interested in what went on in those days and to these people. good book and fast reader.
on May 30, 2012
This book grabs you and wraps its arms around you. It's an easy read that flows well. I found myself not wanting the book to end, because there were so many unresolved questions. I wanted to pick up the 2nd book immediately. I am a product of the 40s and can identify with everything in this book - the landscape, the characters, the lyrics, the morality, the culture. It really took me back.
Keep writing. We may even see "The Coach House" as a movie.
on July 1, 2012
Tall, dark, and handsome describe the two men in Marie Marcheti's young life. Besides being from different ethnic groups, they are worlds apart in character, moral, and ethical strength.

Marie lost her mother when she was a young girl and never knew her father. The only information her mother shared was that her father was tall, dark, and handsome. Marie had no idea until she was in her late twenties that `dark' meant Negro. Realizing she was a Mulatto in the 1940's left Marie with mixed feelings of confusion and fear.

Richard was her tall, dark, and handsome husband. In her gut she felt there was a secretive side to him, but she married him anyway, doubts and all. They were in love and enjoyed each other's company, but things aren't always what they seem. It didn't take long for Marie to decide to leave Richard.

Not taking this well, Richard stalks Marie. She desperately tries to find a place to live where he will never find her. But Richard's secret life involved corruption and it was easy for him to keep tabs on her every move.

Marie ends up in Atchison, Kansas renting a coach house apartment. It's located behind a beautiful Victorian home where her landlord's family lives.

Marie is an interior designer and left a good job in Chicago when she left Richard. When she ended up in Kansas, after working a menial job for a year, she was able to thrive once again as an interior designer. She made friends easily and Karen, her new best friend, helped Marie endure her life on the run from Richard in Kansas.

The settings in The Coach House are described beautifully by Florence Osmund. Chicago and its music venues, New York City, and San Francisco, we get to travel and enjoy these cities with Marie.

The character development is Osmund's strength in The Coach House. Each character becomes alive in chapter after chapter. It's hard to put down the book because we get so absorbed with each character - whether it's Marie, Richard, and Karen, or Richard's cohort doing his dirty work.

The Coach House is a superbly written book, in my opinion. It will leave the reader thinking about relationships, adversity, independence and growth, and prejudices. It's always nice to finish a good book with something to think about.
on May 26, 2012
The Coach House is an awesome book. I was so connected to Marie, the main character, that I thought about her and her circumstances while I wasn't reading the book!! Kudos to the author!!
I even found myself reading slower towards the end of the book because I did not want the story to end!!
I will read the Coach House again, before the sequel comes out, just in case I may have missed something the first time.
on May 18, 2012
The Coach House is an engrossing story that brings you into the life of a young woman in the late 1940's. As I read, I became more and more involved with Marie and her life. She is complex person, and just when you think you know much about her, a new fact emerges that takes you deeper into the story.

When I find my self wishing I had more time to read a book, I know it's good, and The Coach House fits the bill. And when I want the story not to end, it's a very good book. And thankfully there is a sequel due out. I'll definitely be reading that book too.
on June 26, 2012
I thoroughly enjoyed The Coach House. The story was engaging and held my interest. The story of Marie was compelling from start to finish. I highly recommend this book. I can't wait for Florence Osmund's next novel, Daughters.
on June 3, 2012
I am taking over from endeavour as she is no longer my protege. As I said, when I saw the book cover I almost changed my mind, but not being the mean and nasty type I took a look at the sample to see how the story unfolded. I was happily surprise at the quality of writing and the way Florence told her tale, it sort of rolled off the pages, her easy-going prose was a joy to read. I must admit the price is a little high for my liking, but this is one book I can recommend, five stars.

T. J. Edison, Author and playwright.