on September 4, 2013
Holly Black is an author that I can rave about for days. I have read and reviewed a few books by her. I have also had the pleasure of meeting her on quite a few occasions. I consider her to be a personal hero of mine. I admire the way she creates these new worlds in her books, and characters that I have grown to love and adore. At BEA this year, I made it a priority to pick up her latest book The Coldest Girl in Coldtown.

This book was really good. It's the type of book that makes you wish that there were more hours in the day, so you can read more. It's just so captivating. But unfortunately for me the week that I read this book, I was so incredibly busy with real life, that I had to keep putting it down. I would try to force myself to stay awake a little bit longer to keep reading, and actually fell asleep while reading a few times. Most people fall asleep while reading when a book bores them, but it's actually the opposite for me. It's usually me doing everything to stay awake, but my body just collapsing on me.

The Coldest Girl in Coldtown is an extension of the short story of the same name that Holly Black wrote a few years ago. I actually did not read the short story, but after finishing the book I am gonna to hunt down a copy and read it, so I can compare the two. The novel is a modern take on vampires. Now it's been awhile since I've read a vampire book. But this book reminded me how captivating and seductive vampires can be, and also how dangerous they are. There is a perfect balance of human fascination with vampires and a nerve wracking fear.

The novel starts off with a seventeen year old girl named Tana waking up in a bathroom at a party to discover that everyone at the party has been slaughtered by vampires. Scared and confused as to whether the vampires are still in the house, she tries to plan her escape and discovers that her ex boyfriend Aiden is still alive and tied to a bed next to a vampire who is wrapped in chains. Tana quickly discovers that Aiden has been bitten by a vampire, and now has the vampire infection in his system.

The vampire aspect is very interesting. When someone is bitten by a vampire, the infection is called going "cold." In order for someone with the vampire infection to become a vampire, you have to drink human blood. You can choose to fight the infection, by trying to sweat it out for 88 days, but from the way it was described it is an extremely painful and horrendous process.

The vampire that Tana meets that is locked in chains is Gavriel. Gavriel is totally swoonworthy. I try not to gush and fangirl while writing reviews, but even as I am writing this review I am grinning like a school girl just thinking about him. He is the perfect mix of danger and seduction. He is also a little crazy, but he's the type of crazy that I enjoy reading about. As you read the novel, you learn more about him and you start to understand him. I loved watching his relationship with Tana grow. Tana was such a pleasure to read about. She's such a strong and driven character. She puts her love ones before herself, and fights for what she believes in.

The human obsession with the vampires in this book is very believable. Teenagers and anyone who feels like they just don't belong being obsessed with them just seems so realistic. Adolescence is a time where you just want to fit in. And here is a community where it seems you will be accepted. But of course nothing is easy. It is such a good example how there are no quick fixes. That everything you see on tv, is not what it seems. Vampires live in what's called "Coldtowns" and the more glamorous parts of vampire life are broadcast on television. I love how modern this story is. It's the first vampire novel I've read since social media has made a huge impact in everyday life. And social media is very present in this book.

I urge fans of paranormal novels to read The Coldest Girl in Coldtown! It's such an amazing read and is definitely one of the best books I have read this year!

Reviewed by Sana @ Step Into Fiction
on August 19, 2013
As someone who grew up loving vampire books, I was a bit hesitant to read this as I heard that Ms. Black's inspiration to write it came from THE VAMPIRE CHRONICLES by Anne Rice (which I have been a longtime fan of). Since I was lucky enough to receive a copy at ALA in June, I decided to give it a go anyway.

I ended up loving it. From the beginning of the story where Tana wakes up amongst a houseful of dead people - to the suspenseful ending -- I LOVED IT. It's the first vampire novel in a long time that I've loved so much -- and it doesn't disappoint. It's whimsical and gory and fabulous.

A good vampire story is always hard to write. You could end up with something fluffy like Twilight -- or something dark and almost horrible like Carmilla. Holly Black finds the ultimate balance between the two -- writing a world where vampires are looked upon as gods by some, but everything is not as it seems. The story is a rich tapestry of blood, decadence, disgrace, and awesomeness. If you like a decent vampire story, I suggest reading THE COLDEST GIRL IN COLDTOWN immediately.
on September 3, 2013
*Review posted on Page Turners Blog on 9/3/2013*

Sometimes a book inspires you to think back to the very first time you read a similar character in a genre. And The Coldest Girl in Coldtown made me do just that. PTB readers, do you remember your first vampire? I cannot forget mine; his name was Lestat. He was not a hero by any means; he was world weary, always jaded, but there was something about him that made me read on. I remember the thrill of picturing what his life would be like. I've met (fictionally, of course) many vampires since Lestat, but none teased my curiosity as much as he did. Until now.

Holly, Holly, Holly, what have you done? You've not only refreshed the concept of vampiric lore, but you've built an entire, credible (yes, I know vampires are fictional but you all know how involved I become in these matters) world. Coldtown is a tempting, seductive place where humans can be infected, where the entire world can watch vampish goings-on through their internet/TVs, where the allure of becoming cold is something that everyone can crave.

And Holly gives us this world through Tana's eyes. Tana who has a back-story that will haunt you as you read on. Tana who is strong and yet, flawed and worried about the repercussions of her decisions. Tana who is loyal to her friends and family even when the risk to her life is astronomically high. I simply adored her, no, I loved her. If you're like me and are tired of the super-strong-can-do-no-wrong characters, read Tana. She's so very, very believable.

I want to quote my favorite parts here, I really do, but they're so filled with spoilers that I can't. So, let me just say that Midnight and Winter may just be two of my favorite bloggers just because of their sheer determination to get to Coldtown and to document every single step in their process. In addition to them, there's Aidan. Aidan is a slick character who is so consistent that at times I wanted to smack him. And then, oh boy, there's Gavriel. The only thing I have to add is...move over Lestat and dozens of other vamps I've read in my past, Gavriel takes the Numero Uno spot as my Very Favorite Vampire Ever. He's melancholy in his madness, fierce in his determination and lovely in his romantic sensibilities. If I'm not making any sense to you, just go read him. I dare you to think differently about him.

And now I'm just going to sit back and re-read some of my favorite moments. Oh yeah, THAT KISS. I couldn't not BELIEVE Tana did that. Sorry, no spoilers. But who would kiss a vamp like THAT? OMGSOGOOD.

Holly, thank you for reminding me of why I love vampire stories, and why there is always room on my shelf for another exceptional tale.
on September 15, 2013
4.5 Stars

Oh, how delightfully delicious this was!

The Coldest Girl In Coldtown has been one of my most anticipated book of the year! I love Vampires books, even though I have been wayyyyy burnt out with them and haven't read one since April. But anything to do with Vampires, Dystopian, Quarantined Cities, and feasting on human blood in a dystopian setting, I'M IN! And The Coldest Girl In Coldtown has satisfied my craving for my Vampire-dystopian fix! Even though I would of liked these vampires to have been more...gritty, and gruesome, but they were still awesome, they just lacked that horrific, spine-chilling, menacing feel! But still definitely satisfied!

The main characters were well developed. Tana was a enjoyable, strong character, that wouldn't give up no matter the cost. And Gavriel, he had this mysterious sex appeal that just kept me drawn to him, whenever he was around! He had this rough around the edges feel to him. But once Tana broke through his hard layers, he revealed that something softer was in the inside.

Holly Black had an interesting way of writing this novel. She had one chapter of the main plot, then the next chapter had some background information on any character. Which was and interesting way for her the write Coldtown, but oh so annoying when a chapter ended with a fast-paced, heart-pounding scene, that you just had to see what was coming next, but then it would abruptly change to something that happen in the past. Sometimes I found myself screaming "NO, I DON'T CARE, take me back to the main plot, I need to know what happens!" But when the chapter didn't end on a heart-pounding note, it was interesting to get some back info on said character.

The Plot:

Vampires have come out of hiding and infected humans everywhere. Whole city's have been quarantined to contain the virus of vampirism. These cities are closed off leaving everyone left inside to fend for themselves, whether their infected or not, they refused to open the gates for anyone! So these cities became The Coldtowns.

Tana, one of the only handful of kids left that doesn't want to become a vampire, happens to be at the wrong place at the wrong time. Living it up with some friends at a party, they get trashed, and after many hours of playing a drinking game, Tana passes out in the bathtub. Waking up hours later, she discovers that vampires have broken in and murdered everyone except for her and her ex-boyfriend Aiden. She finds Aiden infected and tied to the bed like a good little blood pet. She also finds a vampire chained up next to Aiden. Tana decides to help both Aiden and the vampire break free. They mange to escape, but not without Tana getting scraped by vampire teeth on her way out the window. She now has to deal with the last thing she ever wanted. The uncertainty of not knowing whether she's infected like Aiden. Oh, and theirs that vampire in her trunk to deal with! So not knowing if she's infected like Aiden, she make the ultimate sacrifice, and decides to go to Coldtown were she can't hurt anyone or further spread the virus if she's infected.

Coldtown turns out to be nothing like they thought it would be. It was always talked up as being a big ol' party hangout with vampires as their blood buddies. But what they find is a death trap, and a lot of wanna-be-vampires, willing to do anything to become one. And with Aiden and Tana possibly infected, they may have to watch their backs from the humans before the vampires.

Tana can't deny the incredible pull she feels towards Gavriel, the vampire she helped. She knows he's the wrong "Type Of Guy". But how long can she fight the connection that sparks when he's around. And that just might be Tana's undoing!

This was an amazingly fresh take on vampires, that had me staying up late, glued to the pages, craving more! It really was a good book even though it was slightly different then I predicated. I would have liked these vampires to have more of a backbone, versus partying it up on a live TV for humans. I did not expect that aspect of this book, but in the end it won me over and turned out be very entertaining!

Overall, I loved this brilliant take on vampires in their dystopian world. The world building was great, the action was suspenseful, and the twist were unpredictable. I would definitely recommend this book, and I think anyone who wants a new heart-throbbing adventure with vampires, should definitely pick this one up. I don't think they'll be disappointed!
55 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on September 17, 2013
This is an urban fantasy in which vampires live in walled off parts of cities called cold towns. The vampires are familiar with the usual Hollywood attributes--e.g., they don't like holy water or garlic and they can't stand the sun, but here they've reached a sort of uneasy detente with humans. The vampires in this book are the evil monster types, not the suave, sexy kind. The MC is a high school girl, Tana, who starts out the story by waking up in a house full of dead teens. Tana makes her way to the local Cold Town and checks herself in -- for somewhat dubious reasons. The rest of the story concerns her adventures in Cold Town, trying to survive and deal with vampire politics, including the machinations of uber vampire Gavriel, who finds himself falling for Tana. If you live and breath vampire stories, then this is a decent story that you'll probably enjoy. If you're only up for a vampire story that is fresh and novel, you may find this disappointing. The idea of cold towns existing alongside the modern world is a new twist (although it is somewhat reminiscent of the vampire towns in Julie Kagawa's Immortal Rules books), but the rest of the story isn't that new or novel. Plus, Tana didn't really resonate with me, nor did Gavriel until the very end. Finally I found the beginning slow and a little boring, dragged down in places by some clumsy info dumps. In sum, for me, there's so many vampire books out there that I set the bar pretty high when it comes to yet another sucker story, and this one didn't make it over my bar.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
VINE VOICEon September 5, 2013
"...for the contingent out there who sneer at heroes like Superman and Wonder Woman and Captain America, those icons who still, at their core, represent selfless sacrifice for the greater good, and who justify their contempt by saying, oh, it's so unrealistic, no one would ever be so noble... grow up. Seriously. Cynicism is not maturity, do not mistake the one for the other. If you truly cannot accept a story where someone does the right thing because it's the right thing to do, that says far more about who you are than these characters." - Greg Rucka

When Tana wakes up in the bathroom after a party, her main worry is embarrassment. Then she reaches the living room and discovers that everyone else who attended the party is dead, murdered by vampires. The only other survivor is her ex-boyfriend, tied up in a bedroom with a chained vampire. It's up to Tana to save herself and the boys before the sun sets. But what to do then?

I read Jen Ryland's review while I was reading THE COLDEST GIRL IN COLDTOWN, and I think she has what makes this book so great dead on. Tana does the right thing because it's the right thing, and it sends her life into utter craziness. But in the end she's rewarded for her actions, for her determination to save as many people as possible. The world of THE COLDEST GIRL IN COLDTOWN is dark and scary, but not grim. Nobility of spirit can stand against the monster within and without.

Look, I think Tana is just great all around. She's not the most secure girl - she's done things she was uncomfortable with just to impress a boy - or the cleverest - she's more act first, plan later. But she's brave, and loyal, and composed to a fault. And even if I didn't like Tana, I'd be in love with this world. Of course vampires are celebrities, despite their pesky habit of killing humans. Of course people blog about it and become minor celebrities in turn. You cannot accuse Holly Black of being out of step with modern technology. She combines vampires and cell phones in all the best ways.

The relationships in this novel are also delicious. Tana still has feelings for her ex, that selfish, silly, sweet boy. She's drawn to Gavriel, the vampire, who is hot, more than a little crazy, but who listens to her and tries to play by her rules. Then there are the two traveling companions they come upon, who are clearly doomed, but still worthy of Tana's attempts at protection.

If you've ever enjoyed a vampire story, give THE COLDEST GIRL IN COLDTOWN a chance. Black has made the vampire hot again.
on September 11, 2013
The Story:
The Coldest Girl in Coldtown started off very strong, the story starts with our main character, Tana, waking up confused after a party went tragically wrong. Black wrote the beginning so detailed and vividly that Tana's fear and unease were tangible. I held my breath as I read; the scene being incredibly realistic and disturbing. For me, after this initial segment the story started to drag and I really struggled immersing myself as thoroughly as in the beginning. I felt that things were progressing too slowly, I wanted more to happen a lot faster.

There is a lot of information that Black had to provide as a backdrop to her story. We learn though flash backs from Tana or her sister's point of view how our world turned to one where vampires are real and living among us. I felt the flashbacks provided the information I needed though I didn't particularly enjoy reading them.

I did feel the way the Coldtowns were described was sadly accurate to how it might be if real. This story was bleak and gritty. I could never decide as I was reading if I was enjoying it or not. A lot of the writing was very eloquent,

But the thing is, I hadn't known myself at all until I went away (page 350 of arc).

But other descriptions felt over done to me...granted, this is an arc so it could be edited down before the final version and I kept that in mind. An example of a really beautiful description going too far in my opinion,

His blood was shady afternoons and metal filings and tears running-thrumming through the fat roots of veins to drip syrup slow, spurting across her mouth, teeth, chin. (pg 316 of arc).

The Characters:
I never fully connected with Tana due to her decisions always seeming very naïve to me. I constantly felt that she walked into some really horrible situations and it honestly frustrated me. Her blind trust of strangers perturbed me. As the story progressed she did seem to learn from her mistakes and not repeat them. Her character grew, toughened up and actually became much more enjoyable to me. I did feel incredibly sorry for her because of her past experiences, and that did give her reason to act in the way that she did on some occasions. I feel that Black did create a rounded character with depth though, personally, I wasn't impressed with her.

I found the entire cast of secondary human characters very dislikeable, from her family members, ex boyfriend to the people she meets on the road. The only character I could really stand behind was Jameson (and I loved his white crow).

The most intriguing and well constructed character to me was Gavriel, a vampire. I was taken with him immediately and would have loved to have seen much more of him and his back story. We do get to see a few flashbacks from his life and those were my favorites. I did find that Tana was much more likeable when in his presence and the book picked up and became vastly more interesting when he was involved. Worse problem was he wasn't there nearly enough.

Final Thoughts:
I have read the first two books of Black's Curse Worker series and found them highly enjoyable. This was not the best vampire book I've read mostly due to the slow story progression and lack of likeability of the main character. That being said I will be picking up the sequel if there is one.
on February 2, 2014
When it comes to my opinion of The Coldest Girl of Coldtown by Holly Black, I am conflicted. I have read other books by Holly Black, and they are some of my favorite books.

I wanted this book to be one of my favorites, but it fell short for me.

There was great world building in this book. There were also some moments of well-written, almost poetic, prose. Additionally, there was a refreshing throwback to vampires like the beautiful monsters in Anne Rice’s novels.

The back cover reads, “Coldtown was dangerous. Tana knew. A glamorous cage. A prison for the damned and anyone who wanted to party with them.” That sounded right up my alley! Unfortunately, the book did not deliver these promises.

For a book that promised a peek into this world, the main characters did not even get to Coldtown until halfway through the book. That is part of the reason why the first half of the book seemed to drag on for me.

The other reason this book seemed to drag on is that I kept asking myself where the plot was.

But there was no plot.

Even in the last half, the only smidgen of a plot was from a minor character that seemed to be thrown in at the end of the book to tie some loose ends.

Speaking of minor characters, I think this book would have been much better if that particular minor character was the main character instead. My favorite parts involved him.

His name was Gavriel, and he was a clear throw-back to the vampires of Anne Rice’s world. I loved Anne Rice’s characters Lestat and Louis, so I was happy to see similarities to them with Gavriel. To put it simply, these vampires didn't sparkle, and they were out for blood. Also like Lestat and Louis, Gavriel was seductive and became a vampire during the Victorian era.

But that was the extent of my enjoyment of the characters from The Coldest Girl of Coldtown.

My biggest source of frustration with this book was Tana, the main character. I found her to be very inconsistent. In the first half of the book, every other chapter is devoted to Tana’s tragic backstory involving her mom and vampirism. She spent an ample amount of time feeling upset about this, but certain encounters with vampires didn't seem to bother her. Additionally, she acted rashly and made poor decisions which didn't seem to be part of her character. These sorts of inconsistencies were distracting and frustrating to read.

Much of the book centers on the romance between Tana and Gavriel, but the relationship felt forced and rushed. There wasn’t exactly any exposition to their relationship, and I did not even know she was interested in him until they suddenly kissed. I wondered why a girl who was traumatized by vampires had made out with one. Maybe if she didn't have the tragic backstory at all, or she had actually overcome the trauma, this attraction would have seemed more believable.

In addition to my problem with the main character, I also did not like the third person omniscient point of view. The point of view made me feel distant, and it is probably another reason why I felt no connection to Tana. I think the book would have been much better in first person point of view.

Likewise to the distant point of view, there were awkward points of view shifts in the second half of the book. Suddenly, every other chapter had other characters’ points of view. Although I did enjoy some chapters that involved Gavriel, it was a confusing shift. Maybe if Black had started this earlier in the book it would have worked and made more sense.

There were also awkward places with overflows of information. Some of these were in the point of view-shift chapters. Most of the time this information felt unnecessary since most of it could have been inferred or had already been stated.

Also, there were too many references to social media and related technology. I felt this detracted from the dark and dystopian world. Plus, social media technology is always changing. Because of this, I think in a year or so these references will already be dated in a setting that is supposed to seem like a possible dystopia for our own world.

There is some great description in here that really involved the five senses. However, there was a lot of description that really should have been cut out. Several paragraphs were devoted to describing the character’s Gothic appearance. I enjoy alternative appearances, so it was nice to see them represented, but I found the descriptions to be tiresome, excessive, and verbose.

I wanted to love this book and give it a higher rating, but I honestly think it is worth two stars out of five. I think it could have been be a five star book since it has such a great concept, but it needed some work.

I’m not sure if I would recommend this book. If you can get past the things I’ve mentioned it is certainly interesting. You will probably find, as I did, that you keep reading it just because of Gavriel.

If you’re not sold on the idea of this book, I do recommend Tithe, which is the first book in Holly Black’s Modern Faerie Tale series. It’s my favorite book by Holly Black.

On the other hand, The Coldest Girl in Coldtown is a Holly Black book that I won’t be picking up again.
VINE VOICEon September 3, 2013
The party was supposed to be harmless fun, but when Tana wakes up hungover the next morning, she is horrified to discover everyone has been a victim of a vampire attack and her ex-boyfriend Aiden is on the verge of transforming into a vampire. Unable to return home, Tana and Aiden head to only place they can now live--the nearest Coldtown. Their companion is the vampire Gavriel, who has his own agenda, but doesn't seem interested in harming them...yet.

With expressive details and creative characterizations, Black builds a world in which vampirism is rampant, technology is essential to delivering all of the gory and glamorous details of Coldtown, and a teenage girl finds herself with an impossible choice. Black expertly moves back and forth between present action, past memories, and alternative points of view to portray a deadly, high-stakes world where choices can have fatal and eternal consequences. Tana is a strong protagonist, and her outlook on life with vampires is both honest and darkly humorous. She is unflinchingly strong and clever, but merciful--a characteristic that saves her life. Dark, twisting, and eerily realistic, The Coldest Girl in Coldtown is a vampire novel unlike any other on the YA market.

Cover Comments: I love the font the title is written in--absolutely excellent! And I do like the simplicity of this cover--the hand is eerie in a way, and I love the dark blue. Excellent.
on September 4, 2013
I feel quite conflicted about The Coldest Girl in Coldtown by Holly Black. I really wanted to like this book and it could have easily been 3.5+ stars had another person read this instead. On one hand, the premise was intriguing however its execution left a lot to be desired. Furthermore the things that bothered me are very subjective and will most likely not affect other readers at all. It's not exactly a bad story and I still think that this book is worth checking out especially if you are a fan of Holly Black's previous works. I was originally in the mood for vampires and went in with high expectations. Needless to say, I was ultimately left disappointed.

The opening of the novel is certainly attention grabbing. Seventeen year old Tana wakes up following a party in the aftermath of a violent vampire attack that leaves everyone dead except for her ex-boyfriend Aidan. Vampirism is portrayed as a clinical disease where people `go Cold' once they are bitten, with symptoms including a drop in body temperature, spiked senses and an overwhelming craving for blood. To avoid being turned into vampires, victims have to be prevented from drinking human blood until the infection is flushed out of the system, taking up to eighty eight days. The world-building in this book is overall satisfactory as the author adds an interesting take on traditional vampire lore. Never fear, the vampires are still bloodthirsty and dangerous as ever so I'm glad that Holly Black didn't tone down the blood and gore.

Unfortunately, one of the major downfalls of this novel was the poor pacing. The first two thirds were very slow even though the set up indicated anything but. The beginning lacked a lot of action and I felt that there was no real sense of urgency to drive the plot. This was mainly due to the numerous info dumps and internal monologues which significantly interrupted the flow of the story. Not only were they excessive and unnecessary, but they also wasted a lot of words and consequently dragged the rest of the story down. I was also frustrated by the flashbacks which often seemed to serve for no good purpose. For example in the early part of the novel, there were too many details regarding how Tana and Aiden had met. I did not need to know their whole backstory in one sitting, especially it was currently in the middle of an action-packed scene. In comparison, Daughter of Smoke and Bone does a much better job at revealing the main character's history with her dodgy ex in a more natural, seamless style. In here, it just felt random and annoying to say the least. Fortunately the last third of the novel was significantly improved however by then it was definitely too late, especially when I was less engaged and invested with the story. Overall, I felt that there was something missing to the plot that left me feeling empty and underwhelmed in the end.

In addition, there was nothing to write home about the writing either. The book is in 3rd person omniscient point of view as we witness multiple perspectives of the characters. Personally, this did not work for me at all. I found that it detracted from the overall mystery and suspense of the story however I guess that others can easily argue that it adds more layers and depth to the story instead.

Furthermore, there was an overload of references to social media, technology and fashion for a story that is supposedly gritty and dark. In a way this makes it unique compare to other similar books and other readers will probably appreciate it more than I had. Still, it was strange to see mentions of blogs, Twitter, Tumblr, Youtube, Flickr and Instagram in this world and I felt that it didn't fit well with the overall tone and atmosphere of the story. There is a strong emphasis on characters sharing everything online which can be seen as satirical of the current obsession with social media. Similarly, there is a constant sense of surveillance in the book as many events are recorded and televised in real-time, lending parallels to The Hunger Games and The Selection. Nevertheless I thought that these references added nothing substantial to the story and there was ultimately no real point behind all of this.

The descriptions of the characters' physical appearances, especially their clothing and make up, were too detailed for my liking in this sort of book. Instead, they felt quite shallow and out of place in this context although perhaps this may have been the author's intention. There is definitely room for these descriptions to be cut down which would lead to a lower word count, improved pacing and an overall stronger book. In addition, the dialogue (especially between Tana and Gavriel) felt cheesy and cringe-worthy at times and could have been tightened at a number of places. It was unrealistic for have a character speaking in huge consecutive paragraphs in a normal conversation. On a more positive note, I liked the quotes about death in the beginning of each chapter which added a nice, fitting touch to the book.

None of the main characters in this book seem to be particularly likeable. From the very beginning, I thought that Tana seemed to be too nonchalant with all the dead bodies surrounding her and she does a very good job in containing her own emotions. Despite having mixed feelings about her, I still find her to be an interesting character that is worth reading about. She can be strong, practical and resourceful enough to save herself from various situations instead of just waiting for the guys to rescue her (in fact, the opposite seems to happen more often in this book instead). However her actions can be very impulsive, random and contradictory which leaves me wondering as to why on earth she would do such things. I also thought that her narration and internal monologues were dull and simplistic to read at times and her voice was not really engaging for me. There is not much to write about the other characters as none of them have made a substantial impact on me (even Gavriel seems more like a typical YA `bad boy' instead of an old, psychotic and unhinged vampire that he was suppose to be). Some of the secondary characters were downright annoying and irritating to a point where I was actually relieved at their deaths (I feel terrible saying this).

Overall, The Coldest Girl in Coldtown was an average, forgettable read for me. Holly Black is clearly a very popular author so I suspect that it's probably just me (or at least I'm in the minority) with this view. I must admit that it is refreshing to see YA paranormal standalone for once and I give props to the author for not jumping onto the series bandwagon. I would recommend this if you are already a Holly Black fan. Otherwise, there are plenty of better YA vampire fics out there *coughs* The Immortal Rules by Julie Kagawa *coughs*.