5.0 out of 5 stars Buy This Book And A Large Highlighter
You will run out of highlighter ink reading this one, because there are so many passages you will surely want to reread and savor later.
Published on June 9, 2002 by James L. Vickery

3.0 out of 5 stars Amazing Analogies and Characterizations
Published on January 22, 2009 by B. H. Stewart

5.0 out of 5 stars Buy This Book And A Large Highlighter, June 9, 2002
This grand matriarch of Southern Writer Tradition was first discovered, praised and published by luminaries such as Robert Penn Warren when he was coeditor of The Southern Review, Edward Weeks when he was editor of The Atlantic Monthly, and Mary Louise Aswell, when she was fiction editor of Harper's Bazaar.
This collection of stories is truly worthy to be called a classic. It is sometimes tedious reading, because the stories and characters are complex. After a number of false starts over a period of years, I finally resolved to give this scholarly work the focused time and attention it deserves, and feel richly rewarded for the effort.
Ms. Welty joins the ranks of great writers who prove to us that a great writer does not have to live the experience to effectively write about it. She leaps with ease between characters as diverse as Aaron Burr, a deaf black servant boy, a traveling salesmen, eccentric Southern matrons, and countless others. She portrays them in all of their complexities as if she had lived the experiences of each. Her descriptions of scenes and settings are equally as lucid and believable as if she had first hand knowledge of each. This rare and precious gift is best described in her own words, "I have been told, both in approval and accusation, that I seem to love all of my characters. What I do in writing of any character is to try to enter into the mind, heart, and skin of a human being who is not myself. Whether this happens to be a man or a woman, old or young, with skin black or white, the primary challenge lies in making the jump itself. It is the act of a writer's imagination that I set most high."

5.0 out of 5 stars Master of the Short Story., March 9, 2000
This review is from: The Collected Stories of Eudora Welty (Paperback)
For those who want to jump-start their introduction to southern literature, this is as fine a beginning point as you will find anywhere. The prose is so richly drawn that it feels like poetry, and the images in "A Curtain of Green" and "A Still Moment" will take your breath away. You have to slow down to savor every carefully crafted sentence. Very highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Pure Southern Gothic, July 11, 2001
This review is from: The Collected Stories of Eudora Welty (Paperback)
If Flannery O'Connor is the Empress of Southern gothic writing, than Welty is for sure the Queen. Her stories perplex, confuse, amaze and just plain make you happy that people can write like this.
Her short stories are a given on any English professor's syllabus, and with good reason. Not only are they well written and chock full of metaphors and symbolism, but they speak a multi-generational and multi-regional dialect all their own.
Personal fave: Why I Live at the P.O.

5.0 out of 5 stars "What I do in writing of any character is to try to enter into the mind, heart and skin of a human being who is not myself.", October 6, 2005
This review is from: The Collected Stories of Eudora Welty (Paperback)
This National Book Award winner and treasure trove contain all 41 of Eudora Welty's short stories, including: "A Curtain of Green and Other Stories," (1941); "The Wide Net and Other Stories ,"(1943); the seven interlocking narratives of "The Golden Apples," (1949), "The Bride of the Innisfallen and Other Stories," 1955, as well as two previously uncollected works, "Where Is the Voice Coming From?" (1963), and "The Demonstrators" (1966). Miss Welty also wrote a Preface especially for this edition, in which she says: "I have been told, both in approval and in accusation, that I seem to love all my characters. What I do in writing of any character is to try to enter into the mind, heart and skin of a human being who is not myself."

The intricacies of human relationships is the primary theme in this collection of short fiction. Eudora Welty's works combine wonderful humor and an astute perception of human psychology. Her ear for dialogue is superb and her prose lyrical and nuanced.

Eudora Welty was born in Jackson, Mississippi where she spent most of her life. From the moment of publication, her collections of stories won wide critical acclaim, as did her novels, "The Robber Bridegroom," "Delta Wedding," "The Ponder Heart," "Losing Battles," and "The Optimist's Daughter," which won the 1973 Pulitzer Prize. Her autobiography, One Writer's Beginnings, won both the American Book Award and the National Book Critics Circle Award in 1984. In 1996, Welty was given France's highest civilian honor, the French Legion of Honor Award.

This is a remarkable compilation of short fiction by one of the most gifted writers of our time. This volume enriches any library it graces. Highly recommended.

JANA

5.0 out of 5 stars Eudora Welty is simply the best, August 14, 2000
This review is from: The Collected Stories of Eudora Welty (Paperback)
As a short story writer, as a Southern writer, Eudora Welty is simply the best. Her writing is beautiful, but also complex--as are her characters. In a story of just a few pages, she can create a whole world and make a character come so alive that that character remains with you for days or even a lifetime. You feel as if you have known and lived with these people forever, and yet the short story form leaves you feeling that there is so much more to know. I love the stories about the South, but one of my favorites is the offbeat "Circe" based on the Greek legend about the sorceress who could turn men into swine. The harassed Circe notes that this is not a very great feat since men are pigs anyway and the legend develops an entirely different perspective. These stories are humorous, touching, and inspire awe for the talent that created them.

3.0 out of 5 stars Amazing Analogies and Characterizations, January 22, 2009
B. H. Stewart (Cincinnati, OH United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Collected Stories of Eudora Welty (Paperback)
Welty is a short story writer that I have tried very hard to like. I'm still culling through her large opus of stories and do have a couple of favorites. I liked A Curtain of Green, but to me this story did not seem typical of her. I enjoyed her most frequently anthologized work "Why I Live at the P.O." It is funny and cleverly written. But still I find that not many of her stories "slam" me the way her promotor and good friend Katherine Ann Porter's work does. Welty is, however, an amazingly adept story teller and undeniable a master of analogy and characterization. I keep looking for something in her stories that make them memorable for me, and I just can't seem to find it. I grew up near the geographical area in which most of her stories are set and can vouch for their authenticity and the accuracy of the dialects and customs of that region. In rating her story collection, I'd like to give her 4 stars for her brilliant writing skills and 3 for my personal enjoyment of the stories. I like 'em, but don't love 'em.

5.0 out of 5 stars Important Collection, September 29, 2001
By A Customer
Welty's recent death makes this collection more important, and brings all of her best work together in one pricey volume. It contains her masterful, southern short stories lived through the eyes of charming characters. This collection also contains what some say was her best piece: "June Recital." The reissue edition contains much more interesting cover art photography.

5.0 out of 5 stars Welty's stories have comic appeal and leave lasting images!, August 21, 1998
This review is from: The Collected Stories of Eudora Welty (Paperback)
I've never read this book, but I can reccomend this author with all my heart. I've read numerous famous American short stories in high school, but Welty's make for some of my favorite. She is, indeed, hilarious, and creates profound characters which you'll never forget. Her stories are varied in subject matter as well, which always adds an excellent surprise. I highly reccomend "Why I Live at the P.O." my personal favorite, and "A Visit of Charity."

5.0 out of 5 stars Don't Neglect Eudora Welty, March 6, 2008
Billy Lombardo (Forest Park, IL United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Collected Stories of Eudora Welty (Paperback)
If you think, after reading one of Eudora Welty's short stories, that you have a pretty good idea of what that story is about, I would urge you to read it at least a second time before committing to your opinion about it. After reading each of the first three stories I read from this collection, it was pretty clear that I had struck upon a brilliant writer, but it was only after re-reading each of them, that I began to realize just how brilliant a writer she was. "Why I Live at the P.O." is a first person account of a woman known only as Sister, who rants for eleven pages about her family's mistreatment of her. You'll get caught up in the swirl of energy Welty creates, but it may take a second reading to get at the story beneath the story. The same is true for "A Memory," a five-page retrospective narrative with a dreamy and sweet veneer. Just below the skin of the story, though, is another, less sweet story. In her own words, when Welty writes, she tries to "enter into the mind, heart, and skin" of her characters. In "Where is the Voice Coming From," Welty gets inside the body of the killer of Medgar Evers, the civil rights leader. When she learned about his murder, she immediately felt, "with overwhelming directness: Whoever the murderer is, I know him: not his identity, but his coming about, in this time and place." She continues, "...about that character's point of view, I felt, through my shock and revolt, I could make no mistake." If you're interested in great short fiction and the craft beneath it, don't neglect Eudora Welty.

4.0 out of 5 stars Lots of Gothic Here, October 1, 2007
Eric Maroney (Trumansburg, NY) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Collected Stories of Eudora Welty (Paperback)
This bulky collection of stories, like most which span a writer's life, have patches of unevenness throughout (and my edition goes to 622 pages). The consistent theme of Welty's prose is that the south is definitely a world apart. There are the odd nick-names, the long shadow of racism, and the sense of defeat and enclosure of the post-Civil War South. It is an odd testament of a people and a culture; a part of America but also separated from it; this sense of being at one with the nation but also severed from it makes for interesting, although sometimes tiring, reading.

The Collected Stories of Eudora Welty
The Collected Stories of Eudora Welty by Eudora Welty (Paperback - February 1, 1982)
$16.00 $13.16