5.0 out of 5 stars A powerful, uplifting book
"The Color Purple" is one of the strongest statements of how love transforms and cruelty disfigures the human spirit that this reviewer has ever read. Alice Walker gives us Celie, 14 years old when the book opens, who has been raped, abused, degraded and twice impregnated by her father. After he takes her children away from her without a so much as a word, he marries...
Published on May 2, 2000 by JLind555

3.0 out of 5 stars The Color Purple
The Color Purple was formatted well. I liked the way it was written as a series of letters from one sister to another, and fromt the main character, Nettie, to God. It allowed the reader to recieve a better knowledge of the characters thoughts. Celice was an inspiring character because she never gave up. She kept on writing to her sister Nettie even when she knew that...
Published on February 26, 2002

‹ Previous | 151 52 5377 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars A work of beauty and a fine piece of writing..., July 28, 1999
By A Customer
Have read it twice, even husband who is no great reader was enthralled and finished it in no time flat. The "critics" above, who got hung up on the sexual aspects which Walker includes, have sadly missed the context, and would probably also think that "Moby Dick" is about a wooden leg!! I was intrigued by the first person style Walker uses and manages to carry off so well. Will definitely read and savor again.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful absolutely wonderful, July 24, 1999
This review is from: The Color Purple (Paperback)
I have read this book 2 or 3 times.I loved it.Its detailed and the Author really draws you into the book.Some friends of mine have read and they think its really good also.this book is a must if you like reading about the African americans and such.

5.0 out of 5 stars This is one of the greatest books I have ever read..., July 18, 1999
Ayshen Claborn (Montebello, CA USA) - See all my reviews
I have read this book 4 times and I can never get enough of it. Everytime I read it I cannot put it down and end up reading it in one night! This is a great book, and should be treasured by everyone.

5.0 out of 5 stars This book was incredible. . ., July 15, 1999
By A Customer
This book taught me so many things. A must read for EVERYONE. While it does present some graphic situations, Ms. Walker makes the reader think about things instead of just stuffing prose down your throat. Her beautiful language brought me almost to tears at points: the only book that ever has. Wonderful!

4.0 out of 5 stars It was another cliche novel, however the creme de la creme!, July 15, 1999
By A Customer
When I was first assigned to read this novel, I contemplated that it would just be another cliche novel, telling the same story of the hardships of African Americans. However, as soon as I began reading the book I realized that this may be a cliche novel, but it sure was an excellent one. At times the letter writing format gets a bit tedious and dull, but the storyline is interesting and informative. I enjoyed the novel very much and I would recommend it to anyone that had some leisurely time on their hands.

5.0 out of 5 stars Certainly one of my favourites!, July 12, 1999
This review is from: The Color Purple (Paperback)
I have to say I watched the film first, but even so I think that made me appreiciate the book even more....I could put names to faces. I can honestly say I would reccommend this book to anyone.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautifully, deceptively simple, June 9, 1999
By A Customer
Walker presents a clear, vivid and brutally honest picture of Celie's life in a way that is both simple and profound. She does not sugar-coat or romanticize the sometimes shocking events, creating a refreshing and poignant style of writing. If a reader is offended by the sexual and religious themes in this incredible novel, allow me to make a suggestion: close the book, put it away, and go read a Nancy Drew mystery.

5.0 out of 5 stars The emotions and heartaches of this book are heartfelt., June 7, 1999
By A Customer
The Color Purple is just a pure example of good literature. Alice Walker proves the hardship of life for those less fortunate. The painful and hard things that Celie had to go through make you feel complete passion for the girl. One of the best qualities of a book is being able to feel what the characters are feeling. In writing this book, Alice Walker did just that.

5.0 out of 5 stars WOW, May 27, 1999
This review is from: The Color Purple (Paperback)
I THNAK MY AM. LIT TEACHER FOR RECCOMENDING THIS BOOK TO ME. THE FIRST PAGE IF THIS BOOK WAS A EYE CATCHER. THE BOOK TAUGHT SOME VALUABLE LIFE LESSONS. IT ALSO TEACHES THE READER HOW LIFE WAS BACK THEN AND IN SOME CASES STILL IS.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the Greatest Books to read for school, May 21, 1999
This review is from: The Color Purple (Paperback)
When I first started reading this book for my AP English class, I thought: "Oh great, anither boring and stupid book," I was wrong, when I got into it I couldn't put it down. I've been recommending it to all of my friends.

‹ Previous | 151 52 5377 | Next ›