on March 17, 2010
Format: Hardcover
I picked this book up while looking for another title in the "color analysis" section at my local bookstore and I realized right away that THIS was the book I was really looking for! If you know your season, this book will have you seeing "your" colors in amazing new ways. If you don't know your season or have been color typed but feel like something is missing, you need this book even more. After reading this you will know not only what your true colors are but how to incorporate them into your life to enhance your well being. I would recommend buying this together with Lora Alexander's book "Color Revival", Once you use David's book to determine/confirm your season and best colors, Lora's book will help you confirm your choice and expand your palette.

Note - this book contains NO color charts or color illustrations, which I actually think is a big plus, it forces you to follow the exercises to determine your best colors instead of turning to the charts as a short cut. If you already have seasonal swatches you can use them to complete the exercises (though if you are like me and had an old set from the 80s you might be surprised at which colors are missing), the author recommends that you use paint chips (available free at home improvement stores), some stores will let you "check out" a paint swatch book library style which would be the perfect tool for use with this book.

This book and Color Revival by Lora AlexanderColor Revival: Understanding the 12 Season Color Analysis System (Volume 1) are the best books in print on color analysis. I highly recommend both!
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on March 11, 2010
Format: HardcoverVerified Purchase
I love this book! It has helped me understand color and clothing like never before. The ideas about color coincide with the almost unconscious sense of what has been going on when I wear certain colors. Now I can focus on 8 main colors and use them consciously and consistently. The impact on my work days was immediate and when I come home, I can snuggle into my "essence" color and relax. Finding and using my dramatic color was an epiphany--my only problem is in turning the energizing effect off!

With this knowledge I have a clear sense of what colors to use in what capsules/areas of my life, allowing me to have separate capsules in my wardrobe that function at a deep level.

This book also explains the impact of how these colors effect me in my environment through color choices I've made in paint and the objects around me. I plan to be playing with the ideas in this book for a long time!
on March 25, 2011
Format: HardcoverVerified Purchase
Just finished the " Color Of Style" Book by David Zyla, and this system totally makes sense to me . Few days ago before this book came to my attention I was working on coloring of one of my clients and I was thinking to myself that all that colors that are in human eye and hair and skin tone some how has to be repeated in the way client dresses for a more natural and balanced look and voala , thanks to heavens , 2 days later I found this book.

Author's main idea is to find your essential colors in your own eyes, hair and skin tone for an absolute balance. Evident right?......makes sense to me!!!
So , his concept is to look in the mirror, in natural , indirect light and see what mother nature gave us.

The First Base:your skin tone.
What color of skin do you have? Is it beige or Olive? Usually your concealer is the Essential Color.

Essential Color:
The one that harmonizes your skin tones and reveals your most genuine , open and essential self; your version of white. Wear it when you have an intimate conversation, meditating, when you want to be completely open and honest.

Then,
Romantic Color:
The color reflected by your fleshed skin, which reveals your passion, sexual energy, romantic self. Your version of RED. To make relaxed personal connection with a valued client wear it as an accent: blouse or scarf.

Dramatic Color:
The color taken from the shade of your veins, which shows your power, your charisma and your sense of authority. Your version of BLUE. Also good color for active wear and bathing suit.

Second Base: colors in our eyes.
Energy Color:
The color seen in the darkest part of your iris( not the ring outside the iris) which taps into the deepest sources of your energy; wear it when you want to be calm, self-possessed, centered: family reunion, meeting with child teacher.

Tranquil Color:
The color found in the lightest part of your iris . Color helps you to relax and release stress. wear it when you when you want to recover from a challenging situation such as after a long day at work.

Third Base: Hair colors
Look for 3colors in your hair: your version of Black, Brown and Khaki.
Here is Results of my Analysis based on this book concept...........

More of my thoughts here:

[..]
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on January 21, 2012
Format: HardcoverVerified Purchase
I had big hopes for this book because it looked fun and was by a "fashion expert." But unfortunately, the expert specializes in Costume Design for daytime television.

I found the book to be too complicated for my needs. There are no thoughtful applications for ordinary humans. For example, he describes the "Must-Haves" of one style as "a hooded overcoat with toggles, stirrup leggings, a tie-front blouse worn under a jumper, a pencil skirt with buttons up the side, and a finewale corduroy shirtdress . . . a dress made of light-handed tweed and accessorized with items such as a boucle cloche hate or a pair of whip-stiched gloves . . . a cute little sixties shift dress with a beret . . ." (pp. 132-133).

Even if I wanted to wear this stuff, where would I find clothes like this? Ah, the costume department of a soap opera.

Very disappointed that this did not help me more. Just out-of-touch with typical women and their lives.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on February 27, 2011
Format: HardcoverVerified Purchase
There's no doubt that David Zyla knows his color theory and analysis. It was a lot of intensive work, though, to figure out what the colors of my skin, eyes, hair were. You really need not only perfect lighting, but a great friend with a good eye (and patience) and a good mirror. I'm pretty good at "seeing" colors, but this book did challenge my skills.
-On the positive side - I did learn to find colors that would blend with my skintones - when I would wear that color, not really sure -other than my lingerie. But this biggest breakthrough was discovering the colors in my eyes. God bless my patient husband for helping me (on the balcony of a hotel, paint chips in hand). Very intensive work. I did discover the green in my eyes and why charcoal is indeed my black. But I'm not sure everyone would be willing to go through this.
-The greatest weakness or challenge is not only the time to figure this out and trust me - there are no color analysts who know what you're talking about when you ask questions in Zyla's language - is the simple fact that there are no categories (yes, yes I know we're all unique, but surely there must be some similarities) and you have to go get/find your own swatches (paint chips at your local home improvement store - they must think I'm painting the Taj Mahal) and hope/trust that you're right. David Zyla is no doubt totally capable of doing this, but even the most adept of us are likely not.
-I think it's worth the read and certainly worth at least beginning to get a sense of your own unique coloring - learning to "see". But if you're looking for something more definitive or something to hold onto - this is not for you.
on August 19, 2010
Format: Hardcover
This is a terrific book in some ways - finding your personal colors in particular is a good exercise. I found my personal colors in about an hour.

What I'm having trouble with are the 6 archetypes. In Color Me Beautiful, I'm a Cool Summer. In David Kibbe's Metamorphosis, I'm a Soft Classic. In The Color of Style, I don't know what the heck I am.

A lot of the celebrities he lists for various kinds of Summer are not Summers. Tina Fey? Julia Louis-Dreyfus? Juliana Margulies? Katherine Heigl? There aren't that many brown-eyed white Summers in the world. How can there be that many in Hollywood? Of all the Summers he lists, the closest I am to any of them in coloring is Maggie Gyllanhaal. I can't figure out whether I'm a Classic Summer or a Dusky Summer or something else entirely.
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on January 22, 2011
Format: HardcoverVerified Purchase
Although an earlier reviewer made note of the fact that this book contains no photos or color swatches, I thought it might be a good addition to my fashion library. I had a difficult time determining my colors from the method described. It would have been beneficial to see an example for each of the "eight colors", and how they matched skin tones, vein color, iris color, etc. I wouldn't care if the person was of a different season. For instance just a sample of how a color in a model's hand translates to "her best red" would have helped me. This could have been contrasted with a photo of the same model in an incorrect red color choice. The same thing with the task of determining a color from wrist veins! That was hard! I guess I am off to look for another book with colored pictures!
on January 12, 2011
Format: HardcoverVerified Purchase
I'll start by saying that this is the only "color" book I've owned though I've looked through others and certainly understand the concept. I purchased this book based on several of the reviews here on Amazon. And I'm so glad I did. I learned alot about the right colors for me and was surprised at some of the colors that are "mine". I was fortunate to have 2 paint chip "books" at home when completing this process (repainting some rooms)so I could really hone in on the nunances of color.
AS stated earlier I was truly amazed at some of the shades that "revealed" themselves to me, and I admit I was starting to get a bit concerned because the palette was looking a bit drab,until I correctly determined my romantic and essence color.
With my "personal" color palette before me I wondered where I was going to find clothes in these colors! While I haven't purchased any clothes in my "new" colors yet (I did already own some), it was a pleasant surprise to try on hats and scarfs in "my" colors and see just how amazing my eyes could be, and how beautiful my skin was wearing colors that didn't make it look blotchy.

The archetype process was fun and interesting, and did give me a few important insights into myself, the clothes I've worn in the past and how I project myself.
Beyond the fun of color and clothes my "Big" insight was that, being at a "career crossroad", I now understand I want a career that will allow me to "dress as me" and express myself through color and clothes.
All this from a book I thought was going by "fun". (and yes the process is fun...after all, it's "all about me!")
on February 22, 2012
Format: HardcoverVerified Purchase
The information is valuable and unique. I own a number of style, color and fashion books and I believe this book to be worth purchasing. It is published under a different title, Color Your Style: How to Wear Your True Colors, so choose one but not both as I did.

This book provides advice, good advice, about looking to one's own coloring to find optimum colors and shades to flatter. It is different than many other systems and, for me, looking at my own skin, eyes, hair, etc. for colors is easier than determining my season, time of day, celestial body, etc., etc., etc.. I do not fall neatly into general categories but I can determine my own unique coloring.

A shortcoming of this book is the lack of visual material to support the concepts. I understand why pictures are not required, but I find that I do enjoy the inclusion of photo references.
on December 20, 2013
Format: HardcoverVerified Purchase
The idea of this book is to configure your own palette of best colors based upon your own natural coloring. It's a good idea and I got some good ideas from the book, but after awhile it got a little fanciful for me, I guess I'm more of a nuts and bolts kind of person.
Here's my own idea, fwiw, if you have a good digital camera, take a closeup photo of your face and natural colored hair outside in soft daylight with no makeup on. Be sure to white-balance first and that there is nothing of strong color reflecting on you. Then extract the colors from your photo and print them out. (You can use a web app to do this if you don't have image editing software.) You can bring that little card with you and see how it harmonizes with colors of clothing and makeup, and you will have a good idea what shades of colors will match with your coloring. I tested this against my professional color palette and they were virtually the same. YMMV but try it, you'll at least get to know your own coloring in more concrete detail. I found having this palette printed out helped me make more sense of the book as he talked about the shades of colors in hair, skin and eyes.