Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: The Comedians of Comedy
Your Garage Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer roadies roadies roadies  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro STEM

Format: DVD|Change

on February 16, 2007
This is an amazing DVD. I read reviews online all the time saying "anyone will like this", but seriously. I even showed it to my mother who laughed. That's a big deal.

This DVD follows these four comedians on their two week tour. Their nightly shows are spliced together with scenes of them in their bus on their way to that particular city.

Also throughout the episodes, it shows the comedians in interviews discussing comedy in America during her "time of need", interpersonal relationships, and anything else they could think of.

This DVD makes me laugh to tears every time. Literally.
on March 10, 2007
What is great about The Comedians of Comedy is that it is not your typical comedian DVD. We have become so lazy as a society that even sitting on our sofa and watching TV can't be enjoyed unless our shows are explained in detail and wrapped up in a simple little package. The Comedians of Comedy is an example of what comedy is. Its more than some guy standing in front of a mic explaining the difference between white people and black people. Its timing, its irony, its looking at life and saying WTF?

But beyond that, this DVD shows a different side to comedy that we don't normally see and that is the comedians point of view. Patton Oswalt created this tour which is a bunch of comedy shows in "Indie rock" establishments to promote the idea that a comedian's career can be followed like a bands career. That is what this DVD is showing. So for those who need things spelled out for them (like R. Shultz) The Comedians of Comedy is SO FAR from frat humor its comedic that one would say this DVD contains the sense of humor of a frat guy. If anything, all the comedians on this DVD hate frat guys! They are simply doing what they love and really couldn't care less what other people think about their humor. Ok Im done with my preaching.
on February 15, 2007
Before I watched this film I was not sure who Patton Oswalt was. I watch a lot alternative comedy like Mr. Show, David Cross, and I love comedians like Bill Hicks and George Carlin. Patton, Brian, Zach and many others are carrying the torch. This video is without a doubt the very best comedy DVD I have ever seen. I liked this video so much I wouldn't let Netfilx have it back. When I saw the video it could not be purchased anywhere, so I "lost" it. I play this video in the background at parties in my, and it is fun to see how many people take time out to listen to comedians like these guys with no context. I always hear the inevitable, "who is this?" These comedians are the best on the planet it's great more people can see this DVD now.

I liked it beary much.
on July 29, 2008
This DVD features great comedians and some very funny moments, but it really suffers from too many performers and not enough time for each. Each comic comes on stage, tells 2 or 3 jokes and then introduces the next comic. It's an interesting concept, and I applaud Patton and the guys for trying something new and different, but unfortunately it doesn't translate to DVD very well, IMO. The DVD plays like 2 hours of emceeing with no main act. I would rather have a 2 or 3 or 4 disc set that has more of each performance or (even better) just pick the best 4 or 5 comedians and give them each a 20 or 30 minute set. Also, I know that it says there are 15 comedians on the back, but I kinda think that having 4 popular comedians on the cover is a little misleading. It gives the impression that you actually get to see more than a couple of minutes of them performing! The new comics were great, I'm glad they're on the DVD, but I'd like to see more of them too! Interesting concept, funny stuff, I just hope they come up with a better presentation next time.
on November 1, 2007
I'm so glad I read the review by R. Schultz. It was such a pick-me-up. I giggled 'til I almost peed. I'm really not sure how to process the opinion of anyone who is lamenting the pop culture passing of Skippy from "Family Ties". I'm sorry that Marc Price has disappointed you, Mr. Schultz. I, too, miss the hi-larious way he used to fawn all over Mallory... Oh, Skippy, will you ever win?

As far as Patton Oswalt goes, I think he's done a great thing with this tour. He showcases comedians that are smart, edgy and not-so-mainstream. Brian Posehn and Maria Bamford are very funny. And Zach Galifinakis is plain nuts. Reminds me of Andy Kaufman when he wasn't on "Taxi". As for comparing Patton Oswalt's stand-up to his appearancees on "King of Queens", I've always maintained that he was slumming when he was on that show to pay the bills and be able to do things like we see on this DVD. He played the lovable, misunderstood, third-fiddle doughboy on TV, and did a fairly decent job of it. But it doesn't come even close to the razor-sharp wit he displays in his stand-up act.

I've only been to one frat party, and once was enough. But anyone who thinks of Zach Galifinakis as a sloppy frat boy would yearn for the yesteryear clean-cut humor of that wacky Skippy. Mr. Schultz, there's this show called "Saved by the Bell" you might want to check out...
on February 25, 2013
Patton Oswalt alone would probably make this worth the price to purchase...and if that's not enough for you I have 2 words: Zack Galifianakis. Need 2 more? Brian Posehn.
Even if there's a name in there that doesn't blow your skirt up (I confess I'm not the biggest Maria Bamford fan), there are plenty other reasons to check out Live At The Troubadour, to wit : David Cross, Sarah Silverman, Andy Kindler, Doug, Benson, Jasper Redd, Jon Benjamin, and Eugene Mirman (the best comedian you've probably never heard of), amongst others....
Without giving away the ending, suffice it to say the final, unannounced comedian they bring out as the "closer" is worth the price ALONE!!!
on April 1, 2012
Before I saw the video of the show at the Troubadour in LA I saw the documentary on the tour itself and I liked that even more, but it was the best documentary about comedy that I have seen.

This show had some not-as-funny moments, but was still great due to the presence of three tremendously talented comedians. (And I'm not including Patton Oswalt in that trio even though he is one of the best around.) The three are - Maria Bamford, Brian Posehn and Eugene Merman. At the time of the filming of this video maybe Merman wasn't well known - now, thanks to this, satellite radio and some more exposure elsewhere, he is nowhere near a secret. But he is brilliant - skewed ideas presented in a no-bs manner. Something that is difficult to pull off, but he does. He is even better today - that bit of nervousness he seems to show in this video doesn't seem to be as present.

Brian Posehn can stand there and he will make you laugh. (Maybe with a bit of a frightened element in the titters of those watching. But he knows that the appearance of a 6-7 metal-horror geek often produces trepidation and he takes that audience funk and runs with it. He banks on his polarizing appearance and makes a positive and funny impression.) Towering self-deprecation with some comedians seems a sign of mental imbalance (or the feigning of it), but with Brian it comes off as a game(life)-saver. And you can laugh just for that ability alone.

However Maria Bamford was the star of this video for me - she will go out on the edge without a hint of concern. Or if there is a concern it is merely the pretense of a smidgen of concern. It seems that she knows she has entombed far crazier and darker thoughts and the fact that she is holding back on those demons keeps her from injecting prozac directly into her carotid right on stage. Her opening discussion with her pet pug Blossom had me laughing to the point of tears. Brilliance. There are other women out there telling great jokes, but Maria isn't just the best female comedian on the planet right now, she is the best period.

There were other good performances - David Cross, Jon Benjamin and Zach Galafinakis are almost always good. At times things seemed to drag just a tad, but for a two-hours-plus comedy stage show the energy kept going at a pretty decent pace. An eager crowd helped - some shows are doomed just by the locale, but the Troubadour usually doesn't have a problem providing giggles.

Speaking as to the presentation and production it was straight forward and somewhat static, but it is a stage show - David Cross and Jon Benjamin 'stretched' the stage with their hilarious and inventive bit on friendship, but outside of that, it was a standard stand-up review.

Recommended for all those who like their comedy raw - and I don't mean necessarily profane, but not prettied up by TV laugh tracks and movie camera tricks.
on July 15, 2009
Having seen the excellent "Comedians of Comedy" TV series I was expecting simply more of the same but this disc gives a surprisingly different angle to the antics of four very underrated stand-up comedians on tour.

What's not shown in most blurbs is that for a measly $10, a DVD-14 disc is included -

Side A - (DVD-9) - The Comedians of Comedy (Documentary/Reality Film)
+ Deleted scenes.
+ Making of.
+ Various bits from other rising Indie comedians.

Side B - (DVD-5) - "Live at the El Rey" (Comedy concert)

Comedy is very subjective, but for anyone with any interest at all in intelligent, alternative, dry or quirky humor, then this DVD will not disappoint.

It's difficult to choose a favorite comedian, since they're all capable of pulling big laughs but I personally found Maria Bamford to be a fascinating and truly unique comic and possibly the best character impersonator I've ever witnessed. It truly surprises me that we haven't seen more of her on TV and film but that can also be said of the others too.

Highly recommended.
on December 12, 2006
I saw this at the 2005 South-by-Southwest Film festival, and that night I wanted to buy it on dvd because it is so freaking HILARIOUS! I love Zach Galifinakis so much and this movies shows how truly funny he is! Awesome film!
on September 15, 2009
This DVD seems to get mixed reviews on here, and I think the biggest problem occurs when viewers don't know what they're getting into. If you are unfamiliar with the comedic style of Brian Posehn and Patton Oswalt, if you are only familiar with their TV characters (Brian Posehn from "Just Shoot Me" and Patton Oswalt from "King of Queens"), I imagine you will be disappointed. If you have never heard of Zach Galifinakis, you might be a little shocked. A quick search on Youtube for snippets of their respective standup routines should clear up any questions you might have about who they are.

If you are a fan of Brian Posehn, Patton Oswalt, and Maria Bamford, I think you'll be impressed with this DVD. Zach only plays a minor role and at his exit you wonder if it's sincere or if it is just part of his game (as Zach is known for staging uprisings during his standup show). Brian Posehn is far and away the highlight of the program, and the only real disappointment is that the program didn't last longer.