5.0 out of 5 stars "KID" SURVIVES WWII AND RETURNS TO DODGERS, February 2, 2000
By A Customer
This review is from: The Kid Comes Back (Paperback)
One of the most interesting books in the Tunis series about the Brooklyn Dodgers, "The Kid Comes Back" is very unusual in that it's not really about baseball so much as it is about courage. Roy Tucker ("The Kid From Tomkinsville") serves in the U.S. Army during the Second World War in Europe, where he suffers an injury in battle. This book deals with what he goes through in the war effort, his rehabilitation and his difficult return to major league baseball with the Brooklyn Dodgers. Tunis, who also wrote "Silence Over Dunkirk," is extremely effective at letting younger readers know what WWII was like. He also does a masterful job of painting a word picture of what it was like for veterans to come back to an America that had changed while they were gone. Of all the Tunis books, this (to me) is the best. The "gee whiz" tone of the first four books in the series is subdued, and a very strong storyline carries all the way through.

5.0 out of 5 stars Oldie but goody, January 5, 2013
This review is from: The Kid Comes Back (Paperback)
I will be ordering this from Amazon soon. This is one of my favorite books, along with the prequel, "Kid from Thomkinsville" and I don't like baseball or most sports books that much. I just found the back cover to my copy, lost or seriously misplaced in the numerous moves over the last 40 years.
I'm also a severe Captain America fan and this gives another view of the Greatest Generation at its prime and the most necessary of all wars, WWII, as well as a glimpse of what our troops have to overcome now.
It is the same general era as "The Black Stallion" one of my top favorites, where the train was the usual mode of travel, something I remember from my youth, and sports reporters had a special place in the newspapers and radio.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Read, December 12, 2012
Sophi301 (Washington DC) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Kid Comes Back (Kindle Edition)
I was a little skeptical about this book at first; I'm not into sports and I was worried that the book would be bogged down with a bunch of baseball references. It was just the opposite. The main character Roy Tucker serves in France during WW2 and story chronicles his journey from being in the Army to being a civilian again and his experience being a professional baseball player and having to re-familiarizing himself mentally and physically with the game.

This book is definitely a good read, perfect for boys or anyone looking for and inspirational story.

5.0 out of 5 stars Oh My!This is good., June 5, 2004
By A Customer
This review is from: The Kid Comes Back (Hardcover)
This Is My FAVORITE book of all time!This is the Story:
It's about Roy Tucker.He crashes in a plane,and hurts his leg.
I'm not gonna tell you anymore.Just buy it to find out.Plain and simple.
BUY IT!