5.0 out of 5 stars Great book...
Published 11 months ago by MarkB

Published 11 months ago by Kyle T. Logan

3.0 out of 5 stars Interesting, worth buying, but take with a grain of salt and come to your own conclusions, October 3, 2013
For starters let me just say that the most valuable piece of information included in this book is the SMA methodology he presents in order to determine and subsequently confirm major (and by that I mean multi-year) market directional changes. It is imperfect, and the timing process he uses in order to confirm both his exits and reentries is *very* late in terms of the actual turns, but after testing and tweaking on the S&P, DOW, and other markets, including most importantly the Nikkei, I have now developed my own indicator based on his that I believe better times these cross over points, as well as helps to minimize the transactional noise that occurs during choppy non-trending flat years, such as with the Nikkei from late 2009 to early 2013. If you test his process, you will see that Mr. McHugh's timing process works poorly in this type of situation. Still there is tremendous value in his process, and if you test for yourself, you will see that he does a good job "catching the middle." Hence, I would not use his timing process to move in/out 100% due to his confirmation delays, but using it for a smaller portion of one's portfolio dedicated to the index being tracked may make sense for the down crosses after significant trends upward. For this alone, I am grateful to McHugh and was glad I purchased this book.

As for the rest of the book itself, I felt that although Mr. McHugh does an excellent job presenting his case, he does so with such certainty that I felt compelled to question his premise to see if it truly holds up. For example, he states that he believes what he is presenting has a 96% chance of coming to pass, and only a 4% chance of not occurring. Although such a dire prediction will do a good job selling books and subscriptions to his investing service, it should be taken with a grain of salt, IMO. Whereas I agree with his premise that the "Jaws of Death" (JoD) pattern (which everyone else on the planet simply calls a less menacing and less marketing oriented "broadening megaphone top" pattern) is biased toward the negative, history has proven that it needn't be as dramatic as Mr. McHugh predicts it will be. Case in point: NASDAQ Sept - Nov 2009, which McHugh conveniently leaves out of his book and which should have been easy to find and include since the pattern he is presenting is so "rare." Perhaps it was left out because it doesn't fit his argument? Hmmm....let's see: during this time period, the index clearly formed a JoD top, and then reversed, as McHugh states it should. HOWEVER, it was only a VERY minor retracement, which McHugh argues in this book should not have occurred, and then the index quickly reversed and went higher. More importantly, the pattern then served not as a top, but as a resistance level which was tested several times until August of 2010 before the markets shot higher, not lower, as McHugh would have predicted. In other words, although what McHugh says could come to pass, there is certainly evidence to the contrary that it need not either. Perhaps that 4% is actually larger than he is telling us.

Is it possible that the dark future he paints could happen? Absolutely. But the markets have a way of tricking you as well, and the reality is that no one can predict the future. With more and more traders starting to notice this pattern forming and posting about it on the internet, I'll be watching with eagerness as to what truly comes to pass. Perhaps the illusive end of the third wave that Mr. McHugh warns is nigh is really years, if not decades away. Perhaps not. Time will tell. On this note, McHugh tells us that we don't have much time to prepare for our destiny and so he outlines strategies to protect ourselves should his prediction happen in the months ahead. What he presents is simply a combination of both common sense and his version of what amounts to look a lot like the Permanent Portfolio presented by Harry Browne. Given the long term historical performance of the Permanent Portfolio, it certainly doesn't appear like a bad strategy. Having said that, it did significantly underperform the S&P over a 30+ year period, albeit it did a wonderful job reducing risk and eliminating the ups and downs of the market.

Net net: I'll be using some of the strategies that he outlines in this book, but I won't be betting the farm on it either. Perhaps a 30% - 50% allocation in line with what he suggests a la the Permanent Portfolio. I encourage you to read and make your own conclusions. It's a quick read and worth the $10 if you use the information to make you think for yourself.

3.0 out of 5 stars Dr. McHugh May Have a Great Idea, January 14, 2014
I won't write a long diatribe. I don't have the time

My basic thoughts are that the Megaphone Formation, that is the basic premise of the book is an important warning that the stock market is due for a major correction, along with the world economy We don't know yet whether the ice age predicted will actually occur. This is not a novel idea of Dr. McHugh's, but he is the only one calling it to our attention.

What does Dr. McHugh advise? Get out of the market, get out of debt, buy Treasuries, foreign currencies, gold or silver. Standard recommendations of many other authors.

What do I feel are the downside of the book?

McHugh is very commercial, pushing the purchase of his newsletter and advisory far more than most authors would.

Also,Dr. McHugh includes a great deal of his religious beliefs in the book. Totally inappropriate for a book on investing/economy. Very poor taste. Just like separation of church and state is a standard of our country, so should there be a separation of religion and investment authors,

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book..., October 10, 2013
MarkB (Bentonville, AR) - See all my reviews
I just finished reading this last night. Though I am a platinum subscriber to his newsletter, I think that this book helped confirm some of my investment strategies and added some new approaches. I thought the data was very thought-out and the history and facts behind the conclusions was good. This book gave me a lot of hope and peace for what the future can hold for me, even if our country descends into economic collapse. I recommend that anyone read who is contemplating where our economy is heading and how to diversify and prosper.

4.0 out of 5 stars Financial crisis read, January 8, 2014
This is a good book for those who have some understanding of technical analysis and some understanding of the stock market. Some information is given for portfolio management but no recommendation is given to become self sufficient. A very good book that everyone should read including our political establishment. On 1/8/14 the Dow is 16462 and a dividend of just above 2%. Charles Dow considered a dividend below 3.5% to be too expensive, perhaps we should too. Couple this with the technical formation illustrated in this book and you have a increasing risk in the overall market, offset by current low commodity prices. Precious metals are moving rapidly to the East with increasing demand and decreasing supply! Why do I say this, because I was former CFP, Registered Investment Adviser and Registered Principal. Now would be a good time to get out of debt and become self sufficient.

5.0 out of 5 stars Take this seriously, October 25, 2013
He writes clearly. Using multiple methodologies (technical, historical, cyclical, fundamental, etc) that show no "marriage" to one or two modalities. To the point, he is no "perma-bear", and has never been one. Can give you a big-picture road map for making intermediate trading direction as events occur in the near future.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good Starter Book for Someone Who is Not a Follower of Dr. McHugh, September 22, 2013
This book is a good introduction for someone not familiar with Dr. McHugh's work. The suggestions are common sense type advice for anyone interested in learning how to protect and possibly improve upon your wealth. This is an easy read for the most novice of investors.

I gave the book 3 stars because most of what is presented is covered in Dr. McHugh's newsletters. As such, there was not a lot of new information in this book for me.

5.0 out of 5 stars Required Reading, October 4, 2013
This review is from: The Coming Economic Ice Age: Five Steps To Survive and Prosper (Paperback)
I know, I know. Don't talk with your friends about politics, sex, or money. But, if you knew that a huge hurricane was coming wouldn't you warn them? It's NOT that you want that storm to come, but that you know it is and want those you care for to be ready. The good Dr. lays out the solid facts for why this disaster is coming (and roughly when), and also some steps you can take to get ready. I bought six copies to give to friends and relatives. I also sent out a buy recommendation to many many others. As with a hurricane coming, you only have two choices---get ready or ignore it. Choose wisely.

5.0 out of 5 stars Important book from a knowledgeable author, October 15, 2013
This book contains important information whether you invest in the stock market or not. If I was not familiar with Dr. McHugh's work I might be somewhat skeptical about his vision of coming economic events. I have found his advisory service to be so accurate that I am certainly a believer. This type of message should not be sugar coated and Dr. McHugh doesn't disappoint.

5.0 out of 5 stars Concise and to the point., November 4, 2013
No conflict of interest or politics involved - author positioned from a point of experience in the field of economics and finance.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Real Story, January 19, 2014
Dr. McHugh gives his readers the real story behind why our economy has stagnated and why the business gurus always tout "buybuybuy!!" His research is thorough and well reasoned. Anyone who doesn't heed these repeating patterns from history does so at their peril. Read the book and share it with everyone you love. Everyone deserves the information necessary to be prepared for what's coming our way. The big banks will be just fine, it's middle America that desperately needs to be prepared.

The Coming Economic Ice Age: Five Steps To Survive and Prosper
The Coming Economic Ice Age: Five Steps To Survive and Prosper by Robert D. McHugh (Paperback - September 10, 2013)
$19.95 $16.76