Truck Month Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Eric Clapton Father's Day Gift Guide 2016 Fire TV Stick Grocery The Baby Store Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Cash Back Offer LoveandFriendship LoveandFriendship LoveandFriendship  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now

on December 26, 2006
I LOVE this DVD! I've looked at books, online instruction, and even had a family member try to teach me. None of those methods worked for me. The way Nici goes about teaching is like having a friend come over to give instructions. She is very clear and goes slowly. The DVD pauses in places so you can go ahead and then press play when you are ready. She teaches two methods, English and Continental. We chose Continental. I found out why my family member could not teach me.......she does English, and I'm all thumbs that way. So having both shown gives you the ability to select which works best for you. The only thing for a beginner that I found difficult was casting on. The DVD shows 3 ways of slip knotting to start, but does not show where the tail should go....front or back? My mom came over to show us - after casting on the tail goes in the front. This is where you will be using the yarn from the cast on your first 10 loops.....when you turn the needle around as you switch hands, your tail will be in the back where it needs to be. I know that sounds simple, but for a beginner it was a conundrum!! If the tail is in the front, you run out of yarn! Other than that tiny detail....every detail for knitting and purling is covered well!! There are close up angles and it is show "over the shoulder" so you are not watching her knit and then try to reverse it. If you want to learn to knit......buy this DVD...within a short while you'll be knitting away!
Nici covers the following:
Casting on - how to get started
the knit stitch - continental or english
The purl stitch - continental or english
add yarn - if you run out or want to add a color etc..
binding off - how to end
ribbing - how to knit and purl on the same row
increasing - adding stitches
decreasing - taking away stitches
gauge - how many stitches per inch to get the right size
finishing - sewing pieces together
first aid kit - HELP for mistakes
tips and advice - tips and advice :)
She also has a website, [....]. And there are other DVDs only I've not found them on Amazon??
1111 comments|321 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
VINE VOICEon May 30, 2006
I have been knitting for a little over six months and I know the basics (knit, purl, casting on, etc) but this DVD has still been an immense help to me. I now know how to apply emergency first aid to a swatch, how to block, increasing and other little things that you need on your journey to becoming a knitter. Also as a bonus, some of the knitting terms, SSK and K2tog are explained.

You can't go wrong with this DVD. She shows you English and Continental styles and the best part--she encourages you and tells you it's okay to hold your needle a certain way or knit loosely.

Oh, yes, I have never worked for Nici McNally and have no ties to any knitting company so I am completely unbiased
0Comment|112 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
VINE VOICEon August 22, 2006
I first purchased this DVD in December 2005 and learned to knit immediately. I was able to knit 3 scarves for Christmas gifts just within a week after learning through this DVD. However, the first copy I received did not play properly. I contacted Nici and immediately got a response and a new DVD. That one worked just fine until my husband scratched it (he claims he didn't, and liked to point out the first one was faulty) and the player was unable to read it. And BTW, my husband has commented on Nici's style, saying, "How'd she get so good at teaching when she looks so young?" but he refuses to knit. oh well. So I am on my third copy, and I would continue to replace it if needed because the instruction is so clear, Nici is so personable that you'd think she was right there knitting with you, and the Chapter set up is great. The DVD automatically pauses after showing you a new technique, and then when you are ready you press play. So you never fall behind like in a class! There's a first aid kit chapter to help you figure out your mistakes and how to fix them. My third copy had an updated version of the booklet, with more detailed instruction patterns. I found the first edition of the booklet a bit vague for a beginner, but the new version is just right. I look forward to the sequel in the fall!
22 comments|121 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 13, 2006
This is the dvd you have been looking for if you have been frustrated in trying to learn to knit. I've sat beside two different people who have patiently tried to instruct me, and I've also taken a class, and I have a good book, but nothing compares with having a close up view of a knitter's hands right in front of you, in the same position as your hands, guiding you through the steps. This is just excellent and the instructor is very pleasant. The stop-and-start-whenever-you-want feature is also perfect for the beginning knitter, who needs to finish a row, or practice for several rows before moving on. It's also very easy to play a section again as often as you like through a menu that comes up on the screen after each new lesson. I originally bought it because I wanted to compare continental and english knitting, which is another real plus of this dvd and the way it is structured. I'm glad I read the other reviews on this site and bought this dvd - it's a must-have and the only one you'll need to get started, whichever style of knitting you feel comfortable with.
on May 22, 2006
I am a busy surgeon and mom, with very little time to do anything for myself. Since my son was born, I've had such a desire to learn to knit for him-but of course, like anything else, I figured that I wouldnt have the time. I stumbled across this video on the amazon site, and ordered it. I cannot believe how quickly I learned how to knit! The instructions are shockingly easy to follow, and I am knitting all kinds of things for my son now whenever I have a free moment. I wish Id ordered it earlier.
on August 8, 2005
I love this DVD. I'm a self taught knitter and the pictures in books (especially the ones that are drawn) do not explain things very clearly.

This DVD is hand holding but at your own pace. The DVD incorporates pauses ("push play to continue") for you to catch up. There are also stills (images are freeze framed) so you can compare what you're doing to what is being done. The camera angles are great, the sharpness is superb and the contrasting colors are well thought out (white background, bright blue yarn, dark brown needles).

They explanations are very clear and precise - the booklet in the dvd provides an excellent guide and they end of every section shows you examples of what you just learned on different yarns, colors, and patterns.

The next DVD is coming out before December 2005!!! I can not wait!
on March 5, 2006
I ordered this DVD and received it in about a week. I put it in the DVD player and nothing happened, it didn't work. I sent an e-mail to the seller and had a new DVD in about a week. I put it in and it was great. You get wonderful close-ups for knitting and purling as well as casting on. Unfortunately, when the DVD got to Chapter 4, it froze up and went back to the main menu. I clicked on Chapter 4 again, got a blank screen and then back to the main menu again. This DVD is excellent, if you get one that works. I told my sister about it, she ordered it, and the DVD that she received doesn't work.
Then, much to my surprise, without even asking, I received a third DVD a few days ago that works great. Of the three knitting DVD's that I have, this is definitely the best. Nici goes slowly and lets you catch up before going on to the next step. The camera close-ups are excellent and the instructions are very clear. I think that anyone who wants to learn to knit should get this DVD because they'll be knitting and purling very quickly. If I could change my rating, I would make it five stars.
on July 30, 2005
I just read reviews of other knitting dvds, and I have to say that this one is amazing! It's so clear and perfect in its instruction. It does exactly what it says it will do: TEACH YOU TO KNIT! The camera shots are so close up that I see the teacher's fingerprints! You can see exactly what to do, there's no straining, no mystery. It's great!

A friend had given me another knitting DVD (which, to be kind, I won't mention the name), and it was a nightmare. I almost gave up wanting to knit, but I loved the previews of this one (you can see them at their own website), and I bought it. I'M SO HAPPY! I can actually knit now.

I highly recommend this DVD! Even if you already have one, or have knitting books, get this one too!
on December 21, 2005
I have tried to learn to knit before. This is the first time I have been able to made a swatch!
This DVD is perfect for the first time knitter, or the person with knitter's anxiety. This is also a wonderful gift for the learner who has to take frequent breaks.
The DVD is wonderfully interactive.
It is easy to rewind and pause.
There are frequent opportunities to be shown steps again (Over and over!).
It is easy to fast forward through steps to get a quick visual demonstration.
Common issues for first time knitters are pointed out often before it happens to help avoid frustration and confusion. There is also a wonderful "First Aid" section for dropped and added stitches as well as how to un-knit, and More!!
I bought the kit that has the DVD, needles, and yarn. As a bonus there is a great website with more patterns to try! It would be a delightful gift for anyone from a preteen and up.

I definitely plan to buy the next DVDs when they become available!
on June 23, 2005
My knitting group and I have a few knitting dvds that we watch each week, and this one has no equal. The video is so close-up that you can see exactly what the teacher is doing. The video quality is so good and professional, and the lessons are short and spaced out so you can watch only a few minutes at a time if you want to.

Other dvds, the sound quality is sometimes bad, or you can't really see what the instructor is doing, or the dvd is loaded with so much stuff you don't need. This one is great. There are a few knitters in our group who proudly called themselves "The Knitting Handicapped". After we bought this dvd, they can't say that anymore! Even they learned how to purl correctly, decrease, and fix their mistakes from the "First Aid Kit", and they're much more relaxed now!!

And there are two ways you can choose to knit, which is nice to have the option.

I e-mailed the owners of the dvd, and they said that two more are coming later this year. I'll be the first to order them!