Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Stephen Marley Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro STEM

Format: Paperback|Change

on September 12, 1996
Dan Rice, DVM has produced an excellent handbook to guide
you through the dangerous shoals of breeding your dog.
Careful and up to date information on every aspect of
breeding makes this book a worthy addition to the breeder's
bookshelf, and is equally valuable to the novice and
veteran. Especially reassuring is Rice's detailed
examination of when to and when not to call the vet.
Essential reading, and sure to comfort on that long and
lonely night when your girl is whelping. Highly recommended.
0Comment| 145 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 7, 2003
Our dog was a few weeks pregnant and I've never owned a dog that had puppies before, so I bought this book to learn a little beforehand. I learned everything I needed to know from her pregnancy straight to weaning the puppies! I didn't buy another book and didn't need to! This is an excellent book (especially for new breeders) which I highly recommend.
on June 12, 2001
This is a great book. I ordered several at once, thinking that I would thus overlap any weaknesses. But this is the only one I've used. It has lots of great pictures and illustrations. It is written in a column-format with separate headings and a great index in the back. It also is not derogatory toward the inexperienced breeder. It is what the title says: the COMPLETE book of dog breeding.
on July 3, 2000
I enjoyed reading this book very much. It was packed with updated information, delivered in a very easy, professional style. The short sections, each with its own heading, made it easy to digest and also to reference certain points at a later stage. It gave enough facts to work out how much money, knowledge and work is involved, acting as a deterrant if you were after making a quick buck. I like the way this particular information remained factual and unemotive. Some books written by breeders can be very sanctimonious and patronizing towards newcomers over why and whether they should breed dogs. It leaves me with a feeling that their motives are not so much based on fact, but their fear of a little competition. I just felt this was altogether a trustworthy book of information.
on December 12, 2001
I'm not a dog breeder, past or future. I wanted information on sire and dam selection, puppy development and conditioning prior to purchasing our next puppy. We've had 9 dogs over the years. This book would be rated 5 stars for a novice breeder. It's well priced and covers all the basics of pregnancy, gestation, whelping and potential problems. In the area of sire and dam selection (9 pages), the recommendation is to select a good example of the breed standard without any genetic faults. A recommendation on nutrition (8 pages) is to select a "premium dog food that has been feed trialed". The puppy development section (12 pages) described the general development from birth to 8 weeks. The information was general, basic and I didn't learn anything new. Lots of color pictures of cute puppies. A few illustrations of dog anatomy. Several stories of dog patients Dr. Rice used for examples. Easy writing style and very well indexed. But very basic.
on October 14, 2003
I love this book. It's a good refresher. I recommend it for every first time breeder BEFORE you even decide you're going to breed. It's easy to read and the information is extremely helpful. It's not as indepth as I need, but a good cursory look. Don't stop your breeding library search here, keep adding to it!
VINE VOICEon August 24, 2007
Very informative concerning dogs in general, but especially all aspects of breeding and a dog's reproductive system, both male and female. More specifically, covered are heat cycles, mating, pregnancy, nutrition, delivery, lactation, puppy neo-natal care, and weaning. Complications and illnesses at each stage are also covered, as well as when a vet should be consulted. The cataloging of diseases and complications can get a little tedious.

One is left with the impression that there is a good deal to know about the breeding process with considerable possibilities for complications. But as the author says, it is in a dog's nature to have puppies. Most often the owner needs to stay out of the way and intervene if only necessary.
on July 14, 2003
Buy this book BEFORE you breed!! Dan Rice tells it like it is and breeding is not all cute cuddly puppies that all go to great homes and you live happily ever after.. Not only does he touch on how to choose breeding dogs, he tells of most of all the serious problems that can and do go wrong, how there are hundreds upon hunreds of homeless unwanted dogs both pure breeds and mixes. and he puts it so everyone can understand what is happening. Even an expereinced breeder can use this book for reference!
on November 14, 2015
An excellent book for anyone thinking of breeding their dog. I've been a small hobby breeder for over 20 years one or two litters a year getting all health clearances and doing a great deal of research and always looking for more information. This is one book I can recommend to anyone needing to understand everything that can happen and what their responsibility is to the mother and puppies
on October 18, 2012
While I have had dogs my entire life, I have never bred them before. My Vet was vague with information so I sought out my own sources. I purchased a couple books and spent many hours on the internet trying to educate myself. This book had all the information I needed and more. Our puppies were born 3 days ago and I have been able to handle everything that has come along. I now feel confident in continuing to take care of these newborn pups and their mom. Any time I have a question I just reread the section it was discussed in. If there is one book to have on hand for a breeding dog -- this is it. In fact this is the ONLY book I will ever need!