4.0 out of 5 stars But if you're not Chinese . . .
I have collected copies of the I Ching and Tao te Ching for many years, but I only recently purchased this one.

Its strong points are its authentically Chinese perspective. Huang is not a Westerner, so he is not viewing the ancient text through a Western perspective, the way most of the translations available to us do.

Most interesting is his use of...
Published on January 25, 2011 by Susan Lee

3.0 out of 5 stars Somewhat lacking
Published 23 months ago by Bleys A.

4.0 out of 5 stars But if you're not Chinese . . ., January 25, 2011

Most interesting is his use of the ancient forms of the ideographs and the explanations of their original meanings.

That being said, most of us wanting to read translations of the I Ching ARE Westerners, and actually need the Western perspective of a translator for the frequently obscure references in the work to make sense to us.

I think this is an essential work for those who want to round out and deepen their understanding of the I Ching, but if you are just beginning your study, start with something more accessible, like Wing, or Brian Browne Walker, paired with the Wilhelm/Baynes translation.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best arrangment and translation I've seen, March 29, 2011
There are three things I love about this edition of the I Ching. First, the translation is both practical and poetic. Second, the author explains why he translates certain concepts in certain ways with respect to other translations. Finally, he arranges the various components of the I Ching--the multiple commentaries--in a most logical and useful way.

4.0 out of 5 stars Alfred Huang's commendable translation stands out from the crowd and is (almost) as good as it gets, December 15, 2011
Alfred Huang is Chinese-born. As Dean at Shanghai University he studied and taught the less common Wu-style of Tai Chi Chuan and other classical Chinese esoteric arts, and as a consequence suffered imprisonment and persecution at the hands of the Chinese Communist government through the 1950s and 60s: the official line was that anything from China's ancient Taoist/Confucian classical culture was rooted in "feudalism" and "superstition" and adherents should be punished and "re-educated".

Pardoned and released following the death of Mao, Huang emigrated to Hawaii in 1980 where he discovered to his surprise that a genuine interest in the I-Ching existed in the west, decided he didn't think any of the other English translations were good enough and wrote this own. In common with virtually all latter-day translators of the oracle - John Blofeld, Stephen Karcher, Hua Ching Ni and all the rest - Huang claims HIS translation is "the definitive one", closest to the meaning of the classical original. In his case, he might even be right.

For the reader unfamiliar with the layout of the I-Ching: the 64 hexagrams - or `gua' - each have a dynamic structure which moves upwards from the bottom (the first line) and naturally divides into two trigrams: the upper and lower. Each of the six lines of each hexagram have the value of either 7 or 9 = a Yang (unbroken, strong), alternately 6 or 8 = a Yin (broken, yielding) line, and their complex interrelationship gives each gua its unique nature and meaning. The gua each have both a number and a name: for example in the classic Wilhelm-Baynes translation, 4 is Meng, `Youthful Folly'; 16 is Yu, `Enthusiasm'; 21 is Shih Ho, `Biting Through'; whilst 34 is Ta Chuang, `The Power of the Great' (another hexagram is named `The Taming Power of the Great' which has a completely different meaning).

To further complicate matters, each line may be in the process of changing into its opposite - a `changing line' - indicated by a 6 (broken Yin line in the process of changing to Yang) or a 9 (unbroken Yang line changing to a Yin). The dynamic interplay of all these possibilities allows the oracle to offer a poignant and occasionally humorous perspective to the enquirer on any issue as his/her situation changes.

As a life-long student of the I-Ching and regular user of the original Wilhelm-Baynes translation over 30 years, this reviewer has read and studied most other existing English translations (I don't read Chinese well, though do know the country over numerous visits and can get by in the spoken language). Overall, Huang's translation is probably an easier road into the oracle than many others - including Wilhelm-Baynes, whose poetic but difficult language can be daunting to a novice - and is definitely one of the most insightful and useful interpretations especially for someone coming from western-global cultural paradigms.

In this revised and very high-quality hardcover '10th Anniversary Edition', Huang's translation is laid out more or less in the same style as Wilhelm-Baynes and others who follow their lead: the hexagrams (which Huang refers to by their common Chinese name `gua') are presented in the same numbered order with the six-line structure illustrated, and its classical Chinese character displayed at the head of each chapter and on each succeeding page in red ink. Huang's English-translated names for the hexagrams often differ from those given by other translators (i.e. gua number 15 is translated by Wilhelm-Baynes and Blofeld as `Modesty' but by Huang as `Humbleness'; gua 38, usually translated and explained as `Opposition' or `Estranged' is translated here as `Diversity' and so forth).

The structure of each gua and its broad meaning is clearly explained by the author, who justifies his naming-choice by reference to the original classical Chinese text and how, according to him, it needs to be understood. The short, Haiku-like `decision' is offered as usual, with classical commentaries on the decision and the symbol to be visualised to assist in understanding what natural process the gua represents. The changing lines are then gone through sequentially, in the usual way from first (bottom) to sixth (top), and a section titled `Significance' broadens and extends the commentaries on the gua and its changing lines.

The text is clear, insightful, accurate and easy to use. As previously stated in this review, it's an excellent translation conveying the meaning of the oracle very well in simple-to-grasp language and is possibly the best starting point for the serious student coming from a western educational paradigm, especially the non-Chinese speaker.

For me, though Huang's work is good, informative and useful, it ultimately lacks the visceral power of the Wilhelm-Baynes translation; the pure aesthetic beauty of the cultural motifs and perspectives of classical Chinese thought are captured by W&B to perfection, giving their text a unique character simply not found elsewhere. Ultimately this is a personal preference, and Huang's only-just-short-of-excellent work can be highly recommended as a good portal of entry to the study of this greatest of all woks of cosmology and philosophical thought, designed to guide the man or woman with higher-than-average self awareness through the complexities and difficulties of life.

So I reserve a five-star rating for the 1951 Wilhelm-Baynes translation simply because its highly poetic language has the visceral power to actually move the reader emotionally: no other translation compares. However, Alfred Huang's work is so good in other respects that it warrants four-and-a-half stars - almost as good as it gets.

One more thing: if you're looking to buy this book (rather than the kindle download), then consider the hardcover instead of the paperback. You may well refer to the oracle regularly for the rest of your life, and in future might appreciate a higher quality artefact which will endure.

5.0 out of 5 stars Authentic and inspired interpretation from true Tao Master, December 15, 2012
I think I collected and used most of the Yi Jing translations to English and German, and have been also studying the Chinese original. This work is one of my favorites, along with Wilhelm's, Blofeld's and Shaughnessy's bilingual edition, and of course, the Chinese text. It's unique values are authenticity of translation, the perspective of one Tao Master, the pictures of the ancient ideographs of Gua and a in-depth explanation of some important symbois that could not be found anywhere else.

Today there are many interpretations of the classic works and while I appreciate the value-add of the inspired new commentaries, I find the modern interpretations meaningful only if they build upon the actual, AUTHENTIC foundation and do not lose, dummy down or distort the original information. Unfortunately, majority of Westernized adaptations do exactly that. I saw many books that try to cut out the mystery and deep objective roots from the ancient "Jing" (Heavenly Scriptures) and present them in a socially biased context (e.g. treating inner and outer primordial spirit and their connection as the elements of an old superstition) thus misleading the readers.

Master Huang has much different and deeper approach, that could be probably best summarized in his sentence: "Truth of Heaven is also the Truth of Humanity". His work respects and honors the roots of Yi Jing and his detailed and informative commentaries naturally grow from there. While any individual interpretation only shows a limited angle of view to a real thing, rather than its actuality (as in Dao Da Jing: "The name that can be named is not an Eternal Name"), this work powerfully supports the inner understanding of the open-minded reader. Highly recommended to the serious seekers of Truth.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best I Ching I've Found, May 7, 2011
This is my favorite of five translations of the I Ching that I own. The author's personal experience with I Ching gives him the understanding to provide an accurate translation that transcends the word for word translations of most versions of the I Ching that are available to readers of English.

3.0 out of 5 stars Somewhat lacking, January 26, 2013
This review is from: The Complete I Ching - 10th Anniversary Edition: The Definitive Translation by Taoist Master Alfred Huang (Paperback)
After reading the introduction by the author I had great expectations of the content, seeing as how the author was raised in China and says he has been studying the material all his life. The book is useful in that it includes the significant symbolic relations of the hexagram at the end of each hexagram's chapter, and the author includes historic references to what he thinks the hexagram is alluding to. However, I was really horrified at his lack of ability to understand or translate the ancient Chinese oracle divinations in any kind of illuminating way. It was like he threw concepts together without understanding the core, which kind of shows us how much was lost through China's Cultural Revolution and other tragic events, that present day scholars can't fathom the inspiration of the past. And this is also evident in the commentaries on the judgements, etc, where the author chose to go with Confucius, and only Confucius, as a possible interpretation. I haven't decided whether I want to keep the book, or not. It's kind of like a barren record of the I Ching, rather than being the I Ching. As a record, this book probably has its own historic merit. As a tool for inspiration or divination...I was pretty much turned off.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perhaps the best translation, March 15, 2012
Since I don't speak or read Chinese, I can't honestly judge how accurate a translation is. But having some familiarity with the other translations, I feel this one is the real deal. To begin with, the translator is a native Chinese speaker. So he is likely to understand how words are intended to be used at a certain point of history as well as the literal meaning. Those who translate literally always do a poor, unreliable job.

The most popular translation goes from Chinese to German to English. I have to question how much is lost in translation. This book refers to those other translations and tells the reader why they're wanting.

This translation is easy to read and understand. The Ten Wings are in italics. That makes them easy to tell where the other text ends and the Wings begin.

Moreover, each hexagram is thoroughly discussed and explained.

I like to read several translations but for most purposes, this is my favorite. By the way, the Kindle version is just great. You can easily go back to the index and click on the hexagram or section you want to read. And, of course, you can search for specific topics.

Highly recommended.

-- Susanna K. Hutcheson

5.0 out of 5 stars FInally have a translation that is truly meaningful., December 20, 2012
Lavonne Rotz (Madras, OR, US) - See all my reviews
Translation is beautiful, orderly, and so very well explained. Now study it each morning, and what a difference it makes in my day.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent I Ching Interpretations, January 26, 2014
As a user of the Wilhelm/Baynes Book of Changes, I was excited to find another significant interpretation of the Book written in a more contemporary format. This is a solid tutorial for students of the I Ching with new translations of hexagram names and meanings based upon Huang's research and subsequent interpretations. I find it an excellent translation and now use it alongside the Wilhelm/Baynes edition. It is well-suited for beginning to intermediate students of divination. It is a "meaty" volume with much to offer and it is expressed in less formal language, which makes it more accessible. Advanced students may have difficulty with his non-traditional manner and question some translations.

5.0 out of 5 stars Truly readable, January 22, 2013
E. Macinnis (Shanghai, China) - See all my reviews
When I read the I Ching (Yi Jing) I like to feel like I have gained insight into the complexity of the thought. This book does that for me, and I respect Master Huang's sensitive treatment.

The Complete I Ching  -  10th Anniversary Edition: The Definitive Translation by Taoist Master Alfred Huang
$19.95 $14.22