4.0 out of 5 stars A good start for Macca's son
Published on January 9, 2012 by steve_manassas

3.0 out of 5 stars Pauls boy makes good
He looks a lot like Paul, sounds a lot like Paul, but he is not Paul. He has talent, of his own, which people need to take into consideration.
Published 13 months ago by Charles W. Cobb

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars A good start for Macca's son, January 9, 2012
steve_manassas (Manassas, VA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Complete EP Collection (Audio CD)
James McCartney made his recording debut at age 9, on his dad Paul's 1986 album Press to Play, with a brief spoken-word comment ("Dad...you didn't say OK!") on the track "Talk More Talk." He also played guitar on Paul's 1997 Flaming Pie LP. as well as his mother Linda's posthumous 1998 release, Wide Prairie. In addition, James and Paul co-wrote a couple of tracks on 2001's Driving Rain album.

Over the last couple of years, James issued two solo EPs (Available Light and Close at Hand) as digital downloads. They have now been issued as a standard two-CD set, with additional bonus tracks. Although the contents could have fit on a single disc, apparently James chose to maintain the integrity of the EPs by issuing them as separate discs.

The results are quite good; James has the melodic gifts and the lyric-writing capability of his dad. While his voice is not quite as strong as his father's, that may improve with time. As good as James' originals are, my favorite track is the rockabilly cover of Carl Perkins' "Your True Love" (Dad suggested that one, I'm sure).

With Julian and Sean Lennon well-established in their solo careers, plus Dhani Harrison's work with thenewno2 and Fistful of Mercy, not to mention Zak Starkey's timekeeping duties for The Who (his brother Jason is also a drummer), the sons of The Beatles are carving out a fine musical legacy of their own.

4.0 out of 5 stars macca's son does good, December 27, 2011
Ken "kcrulz" (sulphur la usa) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Complete EP Collection (Audio CD)
ok, i'm a sucker for the beatle brats, but this is really good power pop/ballad type rock n roll. not quite as melodic as his pops, this is really enjoyable, and just gets better with repeated listens.

5.0 out of 5 stars son of a Beatle., February 15, 2012
This review is from: The Complete EP Collection (Audio CD)
They say the apple does not fall far from the tree. In this case, it is true. James McCartney's debut disc is a great first effort, and hopefully the tip of the iceburg of what he has yet to record and deliver. Most of these have a more modern sound that fits today's rock sound. There is one track called "True Love" that would not sound out of place on a Buddy Holly or Gene Vincent LP. James must have listened to his Dad's record collection. I saw James make his live US TV debut on the same stage as his Dad did. (January 30,2012 on David Letterman). They seemed to downplay his lineage. This is probably better, because while he is a melodic singer, his vocal style is quite different. On some of the songs, his voice reminded me a little of Guitarist Dave Davies of the Kinks.His intense wails on the more intense portions of the songs were reminisent of the vocals of Mr. Davies.
Overall, James is his own man. Some fans of the elder McCartney may like and approve it, but I believe he will win an audience of his generation and younger. The piano and use of violins expanded some songs beyond the rock palette. James will hopefully branch out into a diverse composer /arranger. The future may hold a place for another McCartney.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, December 30, 2011
This review is from: The Complete EP Collection (Audio CD)
In this day and age of a fractured music industry and declining sales there us still great albums being made and this is a great example! Hard rock to jazzy pop this cd has it all. Three cheers to Son of Macca for having the guts to put himeself out there for all the critic vultures and Paul McCartney haters who would love nothing more than to rip his music up but guess what, they can't because this is a great cd. To bad the lame stream radio guys can not play their own song list anymore otherwise this would be a huge hit! Thanks and I can't wait for James' next one!

5.0 out of 5 stars AWESOME DEBUT!, June 11, 2012
This review is from: The Complete EP Collection (Audio CD)
Have to tell you, I was not expecting great things here, as I have been disappointed by both Sean and Julian. James, on the other hand, proves to be a strong lyricist, awesome musician, and impressive singer. I find his song construction to be quite sophisticated for his first efforts. He has a strong singing voice, with a good range, and he isn't afraid to use it in his own distinctive way. I am impressed he is his own man, and his own musician. I saw him perform live for the first time at the Coach House in San Juan Capistrano, CA, and he sounds just as good live!
Bravo, James; your mum would be so proud of you, as I am sure your Dad is.
My favorite track is "I Love You Dad," because he displays both awesome musicianship but a beautiful voice. My second favorite is "Denial," because that man can ROCK OUT with his voice! Worth every penny, and then some.

5.0 out of 5 stars James is his own man!, October 8, 2014
This review is from: The Complete EP Collection (Audio CD)
I love this collection. The sons of The Beatles are in their own right talented. James McCartney has a ton of talent. Not one bad song in this collection. You can hear his dad's influence and at times you hear him in the way songs are played as well as his vocals. But make no mistake! James is his own man. I admit I was curious as a Beatle fan, but I'm a James McCartney fan as well. Nicely done.

4.0 out of 5 stars The Complete EP Collection, March 20, 2014
This review is from: The Complete EP Collection (Audio CD)
This double CD collection consists of:

Disc 1:
Old Man
New York Times
I Love You Dad
Moonstar
(all songs written by James McCartney except for “Old Man” by Neil Young)

Disc 2:
I Only Want to be Alone
Wings of a Lightest Weight
The Sound of my Voice
Else and Else But Dead
Jesus Be My Friend
Spirit Guides
Your True Love
(all songs written by James McCartney except for “Your True Love” by Carl Perkins)

It must be incredibly hard to make a career in music when you are the son of Paul McCartney and I have to admit that I was worried that I would compare this too much to my favourite musician. However, having listened to it a few times, I found that I really liked it in its own right. Of course, there is a nod to his father in “I Love You Dad” (simple, but heartfelt). My personal favourites were the pop flavoured “Angel”, the wistful, “Wings of a Lightest Weight” and the rocking cover of “Your True Love.” Some reviewers have suggested James has a weak voice, but it grew on me as I listened – perhaps it is not a heavy, rock voice, more pure and clear, but he certainly has an interesting musical style, as well as writing some very beautiful songs. I will look forward to discovering the rest of his musical output and wish I hadn’t delayed listening to him for so long.

5.0 out of 5 stars Paul McCartney' s son proves he's talented, too, January 8, 2014
This review is from: The Complete EP Collection (Audio CD)
I was surprised to hear the voice of my favorite Beatles' son. He is not Paul, and it's not fair to compare, he has quite a different sound. He would be great performing in a small club. I would truly like to see him perform live.

5.0 out of 5 stars one of a kind, January 4, 2014
This review is from: The Complete EP Collection (Audio CD)
James Mccartney is one of a kind,wonderful singer with great songs all original,with very catchy music,very hice guy along with his family which i love very much,i bought a couple copies of this cd

3.0 out of 5 stars Pauls boy makes good, December 2, 2013

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

The Complete EP Collection
The Complete EP Collection by James McCartney (Audio CD - 2011)