" ""Dick Grote makes a difference. He understands
the real world of organizational life and how to
create positive change through a focus on
accountabilities and measures.""
-- Edward F. Walsh, VP Human Resources,
Campbell Soup Company
""If more organizations followed Grote's good sense
approach to performance feedback and
development of employees...those organizations
would reap much greater return on their human
-- Carol Alspaugh Denton, Senior VP and
Managing Director, Drake Beam Morin, Inc.
""Provides commonsense advice to those who
have the courage to move forward to design and
implement a performance appraisal process that
focuses on improving the workforce environment
-- ""BJ"" Bennett, Commissioner, Georgia State
Merit System of Personnel Administration"
" A good appraisal system can serve as an effective structure for culture change within an organization -- and it can help ease one of every manager's most dreaded duties. Now, based on 25 years of experience, Dick Grote gives readers everything they need to make the process work well, including:
* what an ideal system looks like
* the available options and approaches
* how to evaluate performance, write a fair appraisal, and conduct the actual appraisal discussion
* how to create a system from scratch or optimize the one already in place
* critical issues that must be considered, including employee development, pay, and legal concerns
* emerging trends that influence the process -- such as 360-degree feedback, teams, the use of software
* actual appraisal forms from 12 companies, as well as scripts, diagrams, checklists, worksheets, flow charts, and sample policies"
See all Editorial Reviews