Published on July 13, 2008 by Ellie Z

2.0 out of 5 stars racewaker photos
Excellent photos of thirteen racewalkers consist of 23-26 stills of one step with each foot. However, the presentation and analysis of data measured from those photos is poorly done and best ignored. It was not the intention of the authors to do so, but I think these photos make a mockery of the USATF racewaking rule that prohibits loss of contact with the ground, but...
Published on February 1, 2010 by Robert Hagenmaier

5.0 out of 5 stars Almost no changes from 1st Edition, but still the best guide out there, July 13, 2008
This comprehensive, approachable guide to all things walking is conversational in tone and gives a wealth of information about walking without being dry. The focus here is on fitness and health, not weight loss per se, which is refreshing. My favorite quote from the book is: "In an ideal world... our greatest concern about our bodies would simply be wringing the most life out of them. We'd want the longest, healthiest, most energetic, active adventurous lives our bodies could offer."

I checked out the first edition of this book from the library and did a page-by page comparison to see what had changed. There are exactly the same number of pages as the first edition and only the title of one subchapter has changed. Some of the resources in back have been updated, but that info could be found for free with a google search. The introduction has been re-written and the author's bio on the back cover has been updated (he has since left Walking Magazine and has appeared in the movie Super Size Me). Other than these updates, there is almost NO change here from the first edition.

Bottom line: this book is the best comprehensive guide to walking for fitness and health, but no need to buy this one if you already have the first edition.

5.0 out of 5 stars A must-have book that you will refer to and use for years, October 14, 2008
This is my review that was mistakenly published as "A Kid's Review"!!??

As a recognized health and fitness expert, I am often asked about what I consider to be the best form of exercise, especially for new exercisers. And while I extoll the benefits of Pilates I also realize that for many people even having to buy a mat or learn a new way of moving is too complex.

So I usually recommend walking. It's cheap (and can even save you money on gas, taxi, or public transportation), easy, requires no special equipment other than a pair of good shoes, can be done anywhere (inside, outside, rain or shine), and helps your stamina, endurance, cardiovascular fitness, and bone density. Really, there isn't much more you can ask for in an exercise!

Mark Fenton has been called "America's reigning guru of walking" for good reason. One, his style is approachable and easy to read and understand; two, he has all the scientific data to back up his claims about walking; three, he offers many different walking programs from basic to hills to racewalking. No matter what your fitness level you can open this book and find the perfect starting point for your walking program and then follow your progression every week.

But this book is not just about walking. Fenton manages to slip in some core strengthening, some light weight work, and other exercise activities that will help you get even stronger and more flexible as you continue walking. He also offers diet and nutrition strategies and discusses the role of walking in weight loss, diabetes control, heart health, cancer prevention, and emotional well being. Throughout he offers inspirational real life stories from walkers of all ages and backgrounds, such as diabetic Carol Thompson, 69 year old Mel Smagorinsky, commuter Kristen Trebeche, and rookie marathoner Amy Dawson.

From how to pick out a good pair of walking shoes (and why running shoes are not a good option) to how to buy a good treadmill, from the best walking baby strollers to the most comfortable yet functional backpacks, from heart rate monitors to pedometers, from how to burn more calories to how to stretch after your walk, this book answers every possible question and concern you may have about walking and fitness.

If you want to start a walking program at any age or fitness level The Complete Guide to Walking is a must-have book that you will refer to and use for years. Buy it, use it, and help make the world a healthier happier walking friendly place!

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding! Only fitness and nutrition book you'll need, May 27, 2008
Judith (Santa Cruz, CA USA) - See all my reviews
I bought this updated version because I was so impressed with it after reading a copy of the previous version from the library. It is terrific! The author writes in a clear, converstational tone, gives specific advice and explains his rationale re: everything from what type of shoes to buy to short, simple, effective workout routines to complement walking. The book is designed to help you start slowly and increase walking time, then distance, over a 52-week period. It even has a schedule for those who are just beginning. There's a bit of good guidance on nutrition, too. Everything you need to know and do to get fit again, all in one book.

5.0 out of 5 stars An Inspirational Read!, March 1, 2009
I purchased Mark Fenton's 'Complete Guide to Walking' through Amazon and the delight started when the book arrived much sooner than expected! The book is very bright and colourful and a very easy read - with each week of a walking plan clearly laid out. The health tips were great, it's nice to have these reinforced. What I found particularly gratifying was to learn the benefits of long-distance walking. I find now that I have no problem whatsoever standing for long periods to time without any adverse affect on my legs. So now during my long, 12+ mile walks, I just think of those muscles getting stronger and stronger and if the bus is late, so what!

My only one complaint about the book - and this struck me immediately - was that it was illustrated throughout with photos of very young, very good-looking and very skinny walkers. What about those of us who have, maybe, passed our prime, might not be America's Next Top Model and who are just in this game for a really strong, fit and well-toned body to glide us through our middle-aged years? One or two photos of 'normal' walkers would have been very much appreciated! The book is targeted at the original 'couch potato' so the illustrations should reflect a little bit of that. This would be my only negative comment.

Other than that, I would be very happy to recommend the book to anyone who is thinking of increasing their fitness routine, even starting from scratch or indeed anyone who currently is a walker and wants to push it up a gear or two. It's very good value for the abundance of information it provides.

I am happy to continue to be part of my neighbourhood's 'landscape' and have, I am happy to say, inspired others to put on their walking shoes and get out and move. It's free, it's invigorating and it's most rewarding.

4.0 out of 5 stars Get walking with this guide!, January 24, 2009
This review is from: The Complete Guide to Walking, New and Revised: For Health, Weight Loss, and Fitness (Walking Magazine) (Paperback)
A guide to walking you ask? Why bother to write, or read such a book? Well, this book is-- by far the BEST book on the topic. It's informative, amusing, and best of all, it got me back on track with a walking program that works for me. It's an easy read- the author doesn't weigh down the chapters with endlessly quoting scientific studies- you won't be buried in statistics or bored. At the same time, he does provide you with enough scientific food for thought that you'll be motivated to get moving! My only reason for 4 stars ( rather than 5) is that I wish the book was a slightly smaller format. I'm sure the publishers had their reasons for the size they selected. Otherwise, the book is a real winner-- I would even give it as a gift-- for those friends who might be thinking of an alternative exercise to running ( for example). Walking is easier on the joints.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Complete Guide to Walking, April 3, 2011
We met the author when attending a Health & Wellness workshop here in Lake City, Minnesota, along the Mississippi River Valley. Our location is natural to want to get out-of-doors and walk. The 1/2 day workshop not only gave us the elements of the health of walking, but it was an event for citizen participants in our community to gather strength and knowledge to enhance and plan the development of more walking community areas and trails. His book was very secondary to the event, but once we reviewed a copy another event participant had brought along that day. we were sold on having our own copy. It is a friendly prescription to develop ones own lifetime walking program. BG

5.0 out of 5 stars Great way to lose weight, January 10, 2011
Love the book. Better than older versions. Very detailed, pictures are great, lots of information. Mark's program is doable. Anyone can achieve better health by walking.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best investment in me, March 14, 2013
This book has become my walking Bible. It is not about distance you travel in the beginning, it is about moving in small amounts of time, gradually building your body up to the expectations of your mind! I have found this most helpful and encouraging in my quest for a heather more active me. It is really a map for one year of your life walking.....

5.0 out of 5 stars A must-have book that you will refer to and use for years, October 13, 2008
A Kid's Review

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Gift for a walker/jogger, February 2, 2010
I bought this for my mom as a gift, along with a pedometer. She read the book completely in a couple days, then her husband read it after her. They both liked the book. It was informative & thorough, a good read for anyone interested in walking for health/diet reasons.

Used & New from: $5.08