5.0 out of 5 stars Miles in Montreux: underrated bands and outstanding trumpet!
(1973) What strikes me is how focused this performance is: you get the unique electronic textures characteristic of Davis' post-ON THE CORNER `70s music, but also a parade of solos (Davis, Dave Liebman, Pete Cosey, and James Mtume) that further overturn the already-inaccurate cliche that this period deemphasized individual expression in favor of a collective approach...
Published on October 30, 2002 by J. Lund

1.0 out of 5 stars **This review pertains to the format and NOT the music**
It is not easy for me to give Miles Dewey Davis anything less than five stars. The music speaks for itself, it is an astonishing document of live electric miles and every note played is here. 5 Stars to the music and a million to the man.

However, this boxset seems like it was assembled by bootleggers. All the bindings on the one I recently received, that means...
Published on February 7, 2007 by Carl B.

5.0 out of 5 stars MILES AWAY!!!!!, April 15, 2011
This review is from: The Complete Miles Davis at Montreux: 1973-1991 (Audio CD)
THE BEST BOX SET ON MILES YET. THESE BANDS ARE AMAZING FEATURING SOME OF THE MOST TALENTED MUSICIANS IN THAT PERIOD. I WISH THE 81/82 WOULD HAVE PLAYED WITH MIKE STERN AND MARCUS MILLER, BILL EVANS, AND THAT'S THE ONLY THING INCOMPLETE ABOUT IT. I HAVE THIS AND THE MCLAUGHLIN SET AND I ENJOY THIS ONE BETTER. THERE IS A BIT OF MAGIC ON EACH DISC, THAT WE MILES FANS COME TO EXPECT. MENTIONED IN THE NOTES, MILES WAS DOWNSIZING HIS BAND WHICH WAS GETTING MORE TIGHTER AS A GROUP. IT'S ALSO INTERESTING TO SEE HOW GREAT THE SAME COMPOSITIONS TAKE DIFFERENT SHAPES WITH DIFFERENT BAND MEMBERS THROUGHOUT THE 80'S. AS A FUSION LOVER, THIS IS A TREAT TO HAVE DIFFERENT TAKES FROM THE SAME COMPOSITIONS. I ALSO LOVE THE LEAD BASS CONCEPT WITH FOLEY. THERE IS TOO MUCH MUSIC TO DISCUSS WITH WORDS. SO YOU HAVE TO LET THE MUSIC DO THE TALKING. MILES IS KING OF MUSIC

5.0 out of 5 stars Well , it IS 20 discs, December 18, 2007
This review is from: The Complete Miles Davis at Montreux: 1973-1991 (Audio CD)
Miles and miles of Miles...20 discs , all but one previously unreleased. Another gem of a box to add to the Davis library.The day I received it , I actually listened straight through---hitting pause only for restroom and eating breaks...took me well over a day...NO SLEEP....gosh , it was awesome!

2.0 out of 5 stars Wonderfull music, complete destroyed package, April 5, 2009
This review is from: The Complete Miles Davis at Montreux: 1973-1991 (Audio CD)
The music, the songs, the sound, the recording quality - all brillant. But the box is a complete disaster: Cheap and quick done, it broke at several parts, when i opened it the very first time (!). And this for the prize of 200 Euro and almost another 60(!) for duty. I'm really pissed off, but won't send it back; don't want to pay 60 Euro for a second package.

3.0 out of 5 stars Excessive Repitition!, March 12, 2010
This review is from: The Complete Miles Davis at Montreux: 1973-1991 (Audio CD)
I'll be brief. I know a lot of people love this kind of music, they call it fusion and they think it's funky. OK I'll buy that. As a fan who experienced Miles Davis bands, orchestras and numerous ensembles from the 50's to the 90's, live and on records, I was perplexed by the last 20 some years of Miles music. This boxed set is an example of excessive repetition where the same material is played year after year at Montreux. The personnel changed but the music did'nt. I noticed that during the 60's when Miles recorded a lot of wonderful compositions by Wayne Shorter, Herbie Hancock, Ron Carter and Tony Williams, he never played any of those tunes live. As I recall the 50's, Miles along with Coltrane, Wynton Kelly, Red Garland, Philly Joe and or Jimmy Cobb played the same tunes for years. It seems that Miles felt that one never really knew a song unless he/she played it 1000 times. It is also true what Chick Corea said that "Miles played the same way on everything". After the Bitches Brew period, Miles remained in that groove longer than any other musical period and his music resolved downward to Michael Jackson and Cindy Lauper tunes. I love Miles but I cannot understand how a 70 year old person who played with Bird, Dizzy, Trane, Rollins, Quincy and Wynton Kelly would point his directions in music to bubble gum. This is like Coltrane playing Hanna Montana or Bird playing Rhianna. I still don't get it.

Rate and Discover Movies