Truck Month Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_cbcc_7_fly_beacon Sixx AM Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Grocery Mother's Day Gifts Amazon Gift Card Offer ctstrph2 ctstrph2 ctstrph2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite UniOrlando Shop Now May4th

Format: Paperback|Change

This book is almost a catalog of every printmaking process around. It covers all the basics: intaglio, relief, screen prints, litho, and monoprint. It covers related technique, including embossed "dimensional" prints (aka "blind" prints), molded paper, and more. It devotes special attention to collographs, prints from textured or collage surface, and much too much more to describe.

Best, the tools, materials, and how-to of every process are described in a fair bit of detail. Because so many processes are listed, each one gets just a short section, nowhere near what a printmaker would need in practice. Still, the descriptions serve at least two purposes. First, they may entice an artist into learning more about a process.

Second, and more importantly for me, is that you don't have to be a printmaker to read this book and benefit from it. I'm a fan of fine prints, even though I don't make prints myself. I like to know what I'm looking at. I like to see a mark in a print and understand where it came from, how the artist's hand created it. By explaining each process, this book helps me understand the result of the process, and understand its effect on the finished product. Not everyone sees art that way, but it makes me feel somehow closer to the creator.

I recommend this to anyone who loves fine prints. Perhaps it's helpful to the printmaker looking for new techniques to try. It is certainly useful for the viewer, in understanding how the artist makes a vision come alive on paper.

//wiredweird
on June 20, 1999
I have been studying basic printmaking techniques, for about a year , and have found this book to be an excellent guide. It has excellent explanations. Also advice on safety precautions & how to set up the studio. Also very helpful is a quite extensive list of suppliers of printmaking equipment and papers in the U.S.A. It is the most complete book of the many art books that I have read ever. It covers just about everything. Ideal for the artist with experience in printmaking but sufficiently easy to understand for the novice.
on February 11, 2000
Okay, well, maybe I'm a little passionate about the things I like, but I'm a Leo and that should be expected. I borrowed this book today from my AP Art teacher, my budding interest in printmaking beginning to develop, and I'm floored by the thorough descriptions of so many different printmaking processes. As printmaking is such a broad art form, I had never found a book that satisfies my desires to learn about intaglio, woodcut, monotype, screenprinting and book arts (including a few pages on letterpress printing!), let alone all the other printmaking forms. Highly recommended for anyone in search of a Printmaking Bible.
Perhaps the current art market is not so preoccupied with the fine art of printmaking that thrived in the 1980s and 1990s, but the democratization of making available works by artists best known for their unique art will always have a justifuable niche among art collectors of all strata. This well written and well illustrated volume about the various forms of print making is as fine as they come. Though centuries old as an art form, "prints" are still looked at as "copies" by the neophytes. The differences and techniques of etchings, lithographs, sereigraphs, etc are all discussed with great facility. The examples are very fine. This should be not only in every art school library, but also in the librairies of fine art collectors who want to really understand what Fine Print Making is all about.
on July 13, 1998
This book is a well contrived, well organized, detailed description of methods and materials in-volved in the creation of all of the modern methods and media implemented by printmakers. The book has excellent illustrations, and source lists and covers each type of printmaking in detail. It also answers the questions with which the printmaker is concerned. It is an excellent reference book, and can be read over and over with renewed interest.
on July 10, 2006
I am taking a class at the local community college. The professor of my printmaking class recommended this book highly and said it was the best on the market, so I purchased it and am totally happy and satisfied. It explains the different processes very well and the illustrations accompanying the text help visualize the different methods of printmaking. I am totally satisfied and will use it as a reference book throughout my printmaking activities.

Susy Moesch
on September 2, 2010
this is a very good reference but i have found at least one error when going through the litho process. the authors tell you to put water on the stone at a wrong time which will ruin the process. take note if you are using this as a litho guide. check out the tamarind book instead.
on September 16, 2013
As a beginner in printmaking, I found this book to be basic and clear about the different techniques. While no amount of writing can substitute for hands on experience, this book contains enough to get any neophyte started in the craft of printing. I was looking to expand on my oil painting medium with printmaking. This book has helped in that regard. My first few prints were worthy enough to justify having bought this book.
on November 21, 2014
Wow. I'm in the process of reading this cover to cover. Its a treasure. I almost gave it four stars because so many color works are reproduced in black and white. But the wealth of information more than makes up for it. It doesn't matter which type of printmaking you are interested, read the whole thing and you'll learn all kinds of beautiful stuff that will apply to your specialty.
on December 15, 2014
Pretty nice book covering a multitude of printing processes. I feel as though this is more reference book than shop manual because although there are fairly detailed explanations of the techniques....it is, by necessity, superficial. If you are interested in a particular printing method you are better off to purchase a book specific to your style.

Still, a very good addition to any printing or graphic arts library.