4.0 out of 5 stars I'm curious...
Well it's not bad for the price, but it doesn't seem to be complete.
I just happen to have a two-volume edition of The Complete Sherlock
Holmes and there seem to be two stories missing in this edition when
I compare it to the second volune of my Doubleday edition: in His Last
Bow, "The Adventure of the Cardboard Box" and in The Casebook of...
Published on February 13, 2012 by vanchocstraw

3.0 out of 5 stars Inexpensive, but not high quality
I have noticed a lot of typographic errors in this edition. It is so irritating that I have stopped reading it. I have purchased another edition which is a bit more expensive but which is of much higher quality.
Published 19 months ago by Jim Link

4.0 out of 5 stars I'm curious..., February 13, 2012
Well it's not bad for the price, but it doesn't seem to be complete.
I just happen to have a two-volume edition of The Complete Sherlock
Holmes and there seem to be two stories missing in this edition when
I compare it to the second volune of my Doubleday edition: in His Last
Bow, "The Adventure of the Cardboard Box" and in The Casebook of
Sherlock Holmes, "The Adventure of the Illustrious Client". Why were
they left out? I'm curious...

3.0 out of 5 stars Inexpensive, but not high quality, May 7, 2013

4.0 out of 5 stars Very Poor Service from Stork Media Group, April 9, 2013
This review is from: The Complete Sherlock Holmes [Leatherbound] (Leather Bound)
This is the second time I have had to order this book., this is an excellent book and the company (Bookwizard 107) is excellent. There is no review to give about Sherlock Holmes....he has made his own reputation. He is a classic. The book is excellent and the hard bound leather copy is a plus to any Library. What defines an individuals experience will be, at this point, the material the book is written on, condition of the book, and the above par packaging and excellent service you receive...and this company has gotten an A+ from me.

To ensure you as a customer have a a good experience, PLEASE at all cost avoid Stork Group Media like the plague. Not only did they not send me my book, they did not give me a refund,and I was forced to buy the book again. Avoid them and have a good experience!. Bookwizard 107 gave me excellent service.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent collector's volume, only one tiny complaint, August 19, 2011
I recently began collecting the Barnes and Noble Leatherbound Classics, and "The Complete Sherlock Holmes" was one of the first volumes I purchased. I think it is of excellent quality. The cover is beautifully done, with renderings of Sherlock Holmes and various associated items etched into the leather in coordinating colors. I like the traditional attached ribbon bookmark. My only complaint is that the gilded-edged pages tend to wear quite easily; even from gentle handling while reading, the gold has come off in places along the bottom and side.

The stories are excellent. I truly enjoyed every single one, and often found myself thinking, "Okay, this will be the last one for the night..." and then I had to read another. I did not find any major typos during my reading. All in all, a great value for the money spent.

4.0 out of 5 stars The Complete Sherlock Holmes (Digital), December 13, 2012
As far as I can tell this contains every Sherlock Holmes story, I have as yet found no errors in the digital transcription and each story is well indexed.
The Stories themselves vary in quality and readers will probably like some more than others however overall it's a classic that should not be missed.
You will become emersed in Victorian London and the dictionary function will improve the reading experience clarifying various terms and names that will be unfamiliar to modern readers.
If you have never read Holmes, some stories are available to download free read them and if you enjoy them then you will enjoy this book.
It may be a little more expensive than some of the other versions offered digitally however, having read all the reviews of the others I am of the opinion that the quality of conversion and completeness of content makes the additional cost worthwhile.

3.0 out of 5 stars Holmes is great; this ebook edition is perfunctory at best, October 13, 2014
This pertains to THE COMPLETE SHERLOCK HOLMES (ILLUSTRATED), an ebook edition published by Flying Fish on June 29, 2014, and offered for sale in the Kindle Store at a digital list price supposedly of $15.00, but actually $1.99 (and on the date of this review, for free).

I mention the above to precisely identify this imperfect work because some of the reviews attached to this seem to specifically refer (both pro and con) to OTHER editions, especially the ones written PRIOR to the date this was published and any that refer either to physical volume (hardcopy) descriptions or Christopher Morley's introduction, which this does not contain. I also question whether or not some of the rave reviewers who rightly praise Doyle's fabulous master detective, Sherlock Holmes, actually read THIS particular edition of the novels and short stories in which he stars. I, too, love the Sherlock Holmes stories as much as they, and any complete, well-formatted, properly sequenced ebook edition with an active TOC would normally rate 5-stars with me; sadly, this one does not.

I downloaded this as a freebie (thank you), but while this IS truly complete (and does include THE CASE-BOOK OF SHERLOCK HOLMES, frequently omitted from some other sets), access to the books it contains (let alone specific chapters or stories within those books) is not easy without an active TOC, the books are not in the proper order, and for a so-called illustrated edition to use the word "graphic" rather than reproduce the image (as, for instance, in "The Dancing Men") is ludicrous to say the least. And the less said about the so-called illustrations, the better. As a freebie, I suppose it's good for nothing, but that is faint praise. The wonderful stories ARE all here, but rather perfunctorily presented; it is not what I would call a "keeper copy." Of course, while it remains free, you have very little to lose by downloading it and deciding for yourself. Should it ever cease to be free, however, definitely skip it and search for another. Both Holmes and YOU deserve better than this, and there ARE better editions available in the Kindle Store.

Two that SEEM pretty good and only cost $.99 are offered by Maplewood Books and Top Five Classics. Other editions may provide illustrations from the "Strand" magazine (in which most of these were originally published). But my personal favorite ebook edition (the one I keep on my Kindle and would recommend to others) costs $2.99; it is a two-volume set from Bantam/Random House (and was originally published as two separate Bantam paperbacks), so it has a higher level of editorial oversight than many other ebook editions, and it has an especially interesting introduction by Loren D. Estelman -- which appears twice, once at the start of each of the two volumes. (Search for it by typing "Bantam Complete Holmes" in the Kindle Store searchbox, but be certain to select the one with volumes 1 & 2.) The Sherlock Holmes mysteries are also available as public domain freebies, but all 9 books may not always be readily available, and the quality varies.

FYI, the nine books, in order, are:
A STUDY IN SCARLET (novel)
THE SIGN OF FOUR (novel)
ADVENTURES OF S.H. (s.s.)
MEMOIRS OF S.H. (s.s.)
THE RETURN OF S.H. (s.s.)
THE HOUND OF THE BASKERVILLES (novel)
THE VALLEY OF FEAR (novel)
HIS LAST BOW (s.s.)
THE CASE-BOOK OF S.H. (s.s)

Have fun hunting for an edition that's just right for you.

ADDENDUM 10/23/14: Now that it is no longer free, my 3-star rating should probably drop to 2-stars, since flaws which MIGHT be tolerated in a freebie should not have to be endured in a purchased item. Please download a sample and carefully examine it for yourself.

5.0 out of 5 stars COMPLETE SHERLOCK HOLMES IN ONE VOLUME!, April 17, 2012
There are several reasons why I appreciate this book. #1 is that I can access all of Conan Doyle's books/stories about Sherlock without having to carry around a huge, heavy book.
#2 is that we are taking a Communiversity class on Sherlock Holmes this Spring, and it has been very easy for me to "read up" on Sherlock before attending our 3 weekly classes. Probably the only thing missing would be some of the original illustrations. That is not an issue for me, however.

2.0 out of 5 stars This Is A Three-Volume Set..., June 29, 2012
Talk Story Bookstore (Hanapepe, Kaua'i, Hawaii) - See all my reviews
Buyers, keep in mind that this particular publication is actually a three-volume set. The first volume is "all the long stories", the second is "the shorter stories, in chronological order", and the third is "all the shorter stories in chronological order after the resurrection". That being said, the reason for the two-star review is that the illustrations in this publication are far to dark to discern any of the amazing details of the original artworks, which defeats the purpose of buying an "illustrated" version. Also, it features no illustrations from either of the first two novels (from any artist). The "Original Illustrated Sherlock Holmes" (ISBN 0890090572) publication does a far better job with the subtle monochromatic illustrations that accompanied the original Strand publications; you will be far more satisfied with it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Confusion, July 13, 2013
Alot of people have been giving this book bad reviews for a few reasons. They say the text is too small, it's double columned, and that the book doesn't have all the Sherlock Holmes stories. I think there may be 2 versions of this book. The one I bought for a penny used has 4 novels and 56 stories which according to other sources on the internet is complete. The book I recieved is over 1100 pages and the pages are not double columned. Also the text is normal size, not too small at all. So, before you decide to not buy this book based on other reviews you should contact the seller and find out which version of the book they have because I'm very happy with the one I got. For only one measly penny(+ 3.99 S+H).

5.0 out of 5 stars Magnificent, April 1, 2012
There are several delightful moments for those who read these adventures; however, the ones I would like to point out are not any of the delightful moments when Sherlock Holmes gives his explanation of the facts but rather the great humorous lines Sir Arthur Conan Doyle uses from time to time, like: "What did you do, Hopkins, after you had made certain that you had made certain of nothing?" - The Adventure of the Golden Pince-Nez. In addition to the great read these adventures provide, I would like to point out a couple of things: One is the fact that the customer gets a super low price on the complete collection of nine volumes, and the other is the fantastic ability that the Kindle and its apps give us to check the meaning of a word using the dictionary provided. I had no idea that a "hansom" was a horse drawn carriage, among many other words I didn't know. Incredible read, a classic for all time, buy it, read it, enjoy it.

Jake Taylor

The Complete Sherlock Holmes [Leatherbound]
The Complete Sherlock Holmes [Leatherbound] by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle (Leather Bound - July 1, 2009)
Used & New from: $22.78