Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Men's Leather Watches Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Chi-Raq Explore Home Audio All-New Amazon Fire TV Subscribe & Save Valentine's Day Cards Knock snow out cold Amazon Gift Card Offer girls2 girls2 girls2  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Shop Now SnS

Format: Audio CDChange

on May 1, 2011
What would like first, the good news or the bad news?

The good news: this set has very attractive packaging, generally good sound quality, and approximately 80 out of print non-L.P. songs & mixes(previously offered on out of print 7" or 12" vinyl or CD singles) are now available again, and many of these rarities will be new to American fans.

The bad news: even with the stated goal of including all 1971-2006 Rolling Stones 7",12" & CD singles tracks, this set falls short. Notably absent: "Too Much Blood"(extended version) "Too Much Blood"( dub version), "Winning Ugly"(New York Mix), "Sexdrive"(12" mix) & "Sexdrive"(Dirty Hands Mix). Hard core fans will remind me that UK & some U.S.A. vinyl singles of the 1971-1972 songs were mono mixes(dedicated mono mixes, not folded down from stereo), but the compiler of this box set uses the stereo album mixes. I may catch some flack for this, but having been a CD box set compiler in the 1990's and understanding the need to balance artistic & commercial requirements and fan wishes, I too would have chosen the stereo album mixes. Most people want stereo. (This set provides the stereo album mixes of the 1971-72 songs)

Also, not only does "I Think I'm Going Mad" have a mastering glitch causing a skip in the music 0:04 seconds into the song, it is an edited version of the track, running 4:47 versus the full 5:47(I've had the track in my collection for many years on a German 12" single "She was Hot" b/w "I Think I'm Going Mad"). Since the song is a ballad, it is unlikely that there would have been different 7" & 12" edits. In the full uncut recording, there are several bars of saxophone playing in the intro, which are lost due to the mastering glitch/skip. Given the bad shape that the record labels are in these days, it is unlikely that Universal Music will acknowledge the defect or manufacture a corrected pressing. After all, Universal wouldn't put things right for consumers who bought recent box sets or Deluxe Editions by Derek & The Dominos, Level 42 & Mike Oldfield with mastering or manufacturing defects. Universal's attitude is "If we goofed, you're stuck with it!"

Many of the early CD singles in this box are housed in generic Rolling Stones tongue sleeves, despite the fact that there were original 7" single picture sleeves for many of them.

......but the joke may soon be on Universal Music & The Rolling Stones: Online bootleggers will soon unleash a 56-disc FLAC torrent download version that shows just how incomplete this box set is. Apparently, there were many more dance mixes & variations that were exclusive to other countries other than the UK or U.S.A.
1919 comments62 of 64 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 1, 2011
The picture sleeves are more from the UK side than the US. "Beast Of Burden" is not included. Major omission here. "Think I'm Going Mad" (which is what it was titled as in the US), featured on the "She Was Hot" disc has a manufacturing error. There is a "skip" within seconds of the song starting on Charlie's beat. The MP3 download is the same. Save the 99 cents. Have left a message with UMG, but no returned call yet. Talked with an Amazon rep on this, but had not clue what I was referring to. By the way, the full audio version of "Think I'm Going Mad" is on You Tube - with no error.

Mismatched US/UK sleeves include "Start Me Up," "Waiting On A Friend", "Time Is On My Side," and "She Was Hot."
3232 comments22 of 23 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 29, 2011
I will keep this short and sweet.I recommend this set to all Stones fans.The packaging is tight,with great ''tongue'' artwork on the second(interior) box,a hard bound booklet,with a commentary/interview w/Bill Wyman,and reproductions of all the sleeves from singles and ep's,7' releases,etc..Read the tracklisting in the product description,you'll find quite a few hidden gems and previously unreleased material(officially).A lot of music here,some 245 tracks,and a lot of live cuts and rare re-mixes.This is a great collectible and is a limited,numbered set.I opened mine carefully,making a slit on three sides of the cellophane,retaining the shrink wrap over the outer box,to keep the set in good condition.If you're a real Stones fan,this is a great collection.Enjoy!
66 comments12 of 14 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 17, 2011
Anyone else have this problem?

The sleeves for:

Disc Ten
1. Hot Stuff
2. Fool To Cry

BOTH say:

"Fool To Cry / Crazy Mama" (Rolling Stones Records RS-19121 (U.K./U.S.), 1976)

Is there a separate sleeve for Disc Ten: "Hot Stuff/Fool To Cry"
or was my set mixed up at the factory?
55 comments2 of 2 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 8, 2011
This is really a great box. All singles of the Stones in just one box.
The nicest part is that some singles offer you 10 or more tracks, because originally the single came in different versions.
All tracks of these different original versions are now combined on one single.
on October 10, 2012
Great great compilation of the last 35 years of the Rolling Stones every record have his single in these box b'sides and live takes of the songs that not are incluided in the official record.Fantastic for everyone who loves the music of the Rolling Stones.
on September 11, 2015
I just bought a brand new copy of this set from a trusted Amazon seller and if it were not for a couple of manufacturing errors, I would be perfectly happy. I saw that someone posted a review four years ago describing the exact same errors that I encountered, so I know that my box's problems are not the result of a random screw up.

The sleeve for disc ten, "Hot Stuff/Fool To Cry", is a duplicate of the sleeve for disc nine, "Fool To Cry / Crazy Mama".

My disc 23 also has the well known mastering glitch at beginning of "I Think I'm Going Mad". I wrote to Universal and they sent me a replacement CD for disc 23 but said I should return the box to Amazon for the sleeve mix-up.

The funny thing is that the replacement CD that Universal sent has a different glitch! The "skip" is fixed", but the track marker for song two is off by a second or two. The beginning of song two, "I Think I'm Going Mad", starts in the last couple of seconds of track one. So if one goes to play song two directly, the first second or two is missing.

I don't think there is any point in returning my box to the Amazon seller over the sleeve issue since there is no guarantee the sleeves would be correct in a replacement box. Besides that, I might not want to play every CD in this set over again right away to find out if anything is wrong with the replacement.

I suppose I can ask Universal if they have a replacement for disc 23 that doesn't have the track marker error, but I'll probably just accept that the set is not to be perfect.

This is a 5 star collection of music and the packaging really is nice. I just wish that a little more care would have been taken in the manufacturing and assembly of the set.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 21, 2011
It's a very nice item for collectors. Of course if you aren't a Stones collector maybe you don't like this. But if you are a Stones collector is a great stuff.
The box is beautifull and the cds have a very good sound. It's a five stars release.
on July 26, 2013
Great for collectors. All the extended versions plus much more. Great CD covers, well thought out packaging. Be great to see something like this for earlier material.
on October 13, 2011
Excellent sound quality. Just one more thing they can make money on until they tour. A must for any Stones fan. HIGHLY RECOMMEND!