Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: The Complete Star Wars Encyclopedia
Your Garage Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Recess Monkey Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer roadies roadies roadies  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Segway miniPro

Format: Hardcover|Change

on December 9, 2008
Just got this today First opinion is that it's nearly on par with the previous edition. The book covers All 6 movies gives a general overview of the Clone Wars. Then goes up to the last Legacy book Revelation along with a general overview of the Legacy era happening in the Dark Horse Comics that's still ongoing.

At 1200+ pages the information is amazing though some of the pictures they included are recycled images from the previous edition of the Encyclopedia. My main gripe is the fact they'll give a entry but unlike the last edition there are no refrences in the Enclyclopedia tracing back to the orginal source like the previous version did.

Other than that very impressed at the price from Amazon and compared to what we paid for the orginal the book was well worth it and a great addition to the refrence people who want a physical book to go back to. Otherwise I'd refrence to the online encyclopedia that theforce.net hosts.

This being an add on to my review now that I've had the opportunity to give the books a solid look through. All the above I hold to. Though this refrence runs into the same issue that you'd expect from a series that is ever expanding. You can get the hint at what point in the series where the authors got there sources on things that are ongoing.

A few of the entries seemed to go on and just abrubtly hit the brakes and end right there while other entries don't go into enough detail. The most notable locations of history and character development that are glossed over that I wish would have got more of an explanation are the Legacy (Dark Horse Comics current ongoing series based 130 aby) and the Force Unleashed storyline.

The Force Unleashed seemed to be lacking the most. Character acomplishments of Galen (The Apprentice) seemed to have been thrown in just so the authors could say they covered all up to date Star Wars info. The history behind PROXY, Galen, and Juno seemed to be very lacking. The largest missing peice would be these character's parts in forming the Rebel Alliance. While it's mentioned breifly here and there no details are really explored. Galen's family crest being the symbol of the Rebel Alliance for example. Mentioned in a short sentence in an odd ball refrence but nothing about Galen's part in the history ofthe Rebel Alliance.

But still overall I have to say I like this. The books are worthy of the rating I gave of 4 stars. My gripes are probably little details but I guess you can say I have a deep love for Star Wars.

The book does have alot of odd entries little items you'd not think of and if you know someone that loves the Star Wars Expanded Universe this is worth picking up.
33 comments|49 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 11, 2009
If you're looking for a guidebook or a fun read, look elsewhere. This book is exactly what it claims to be: an amazingly complete encyclopedia with alphabetical entries for every Star Wars subject imaginable. From the expected main heroes to side characters from videogames, hardly-remembered comic books and background aliens. Good stuff.
VINE VOICEon March 3, 2015
I was wondering with all the Star Wars books that I have-do I really need this? Yes I do! If I ever want additional information about anything in the Star Wars Universe, I can just look it up in this volume. To say that it is comprehensive is an understatement. You could read for probably 7 minutes on the Death Star and learn that it was a project of Grand Moff Tarkin and that they had problems with Sabotage initially as an example.
What's great is that it has taken all the information for what seems like every book in the Star wars Universe (which is a ton) and put all that information here for us to digest in easy sittings. The same strength is also a weakness considering that information is no longer Cannon with Disney having purchased the franchise but the information is compelling nonetheless. An example is in the Princess Leia Organa piece it talks a lot about Jacen and Jaina Solo the twins and her Daughter with Han whose prominence rises in the Thrawn Trilogy, but those characters will presumably not exist with the coming of the new trilogy. Regardless, a great piece for the big Star wars fan. Pick it up used for around $50 and it is well worth your money and time.
on August 4, 2015
A great way to be able to study all things star wars. Up until 2008. But its still the most up to date printed star wars cannon encyclopedia to then. Its a 3 volume collection in a nice collection case. The Volumes are hardbacks and made of pretty thick paper so you don't need to worry about ripping the paper. There are pictures for a lot of the entries but not all. If they tried that it would take another 4 books. I'm very pleased with this product.
on October 21, 2015
I was a bit disappointed by the collection, inasmuch as I had a really good look at the first one that came out a while back. There was beaucoup information and a shi... pload of facts, but where the Hey were all the illustrations. That was what made the early version so very likable. Now, I'm not dyslexic nor am I illiterate, but having those drawings made the text that much more understandable. The section about Jabba the Hutt's hangout was very neatly put together in the old book. This one? Meh! If all you want are facts (Just the facts, ma'am!) then this series of books is for you. I'm not saying I wasted money on this set. Far from it, to be sure. It's just that I miss all those lovely helpful illustrations that the first edition. That being said, it's really not all that bad, and it is quite informative. Am I sorry I got it? Hell, no! I guess if it had all the illustrations I'd have liked it to have, instead of three books we might be talking six to eight books. As I said, it ain't all that bad!
on March 2, 2009
My review may not add much to the other 14 here, but as a person who has seen only some of the Star Wars DVD's but has recently acquired a couple dozen Star Wars hardcover books, I needed a source where an abundance of Star Wars information was available. Just before Christmas, 2008, my attention came upon this set of books and decided to treat myself. This set is just what I need to make some sense of the Star Wars material of which I know very little. In both words and pictures my numerous questions now have answers awaiting them with in these 3 books.

These information filled volumes offer character portraits, peoples and customs, thumbnails on both Sith Lords and Jedi Knights, a time line of most major events. There are many other items within these volumes so much so that it will no doubt take months or years to gain a grasp on it all. It's a complete research bureau in itself.

If any who read this review are new to all this, the Star Wars DVDs as well as the Star Wars books, then accept my advice that you will need to take a look at these three exceptional volumes.

Semper Fi.
on December 4, 2011
As one who owned the original version of this book which was released back in the day. I can tell you that this is a giant upgrade. Not only is this book set huge, but it also contains a wealth of information on Star Wars. From the movies to the books to even the games. This is your one stop shop for Star Wars information.

I highly recommend it to any Star Wars fan.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERVINE VOICEon November 20, 2010
This set isn't for everyone. If you're just looking for a reference, most of the information here is available for free on the Wookieepedia site, the Star Wars wiki. Not only that, but Wookieepedia is up to date, more extensive, and provides sources. Thus, all you really need is a web browser.

On the other hand, if you just want to explore the Star Wars universe a bit, this isn't a bad set. You can flip through and find aliens and peoples you never even knew existed. The best parts of the book are the side-by-side comparisons, such as the different styles of lightsabers.

Basically, Amazon allows you to download a free pdf of several of the pages, so you might as well see for yourself whether or not you like the format and information.
on March 10, 2013
Well what more can a SW fan ask for? A hard cover, beautifully presented reference to the greatest science fiction saga ever told. Open it up and see a perfectly shipped slip case holding three more brilliant, perfectly presented hard cover references to the glorious Star Wars universe, presented to whoever uses it in glorious, full colour, intricate detail, featuring literally everything in Star Wars from 'A' to 'Z'.

Book one: Volume 1: A -G. First entry: A-10. The book actually refers you to the "A9 Vigilance Interceptor" and gives the reader a brilliantly detailed, insightful, delightful description of this piece of imperial Warcraft, as well as its pros and cons in use. Turning the pages, we see that comics are covered, as well as fan favourite Admiral Acbaar ("...it's a trap!!!...") The reference to Chewbacca is given one full page of text. Book two: Volume 2: H - O. I went straight to the only "O" entry I could think of and found four pages dedicated to the greatest Jedi master to ever pick up a light sabre. Volume 3: P-Z. Going straight to everyone's favourite villian we see Emperor Palpatine given roughly three pages of descriptive space in this volume. Described initially and correctly as "evil incarnate" the book talks about Palpatine's upbringing and early political career, going on to how he used ongoing plicitical and civil unrest both on Coruscant and throughout the republic to devise and manipulate pawns (Dooku, Anakin Skywalker amongst others) in his power to achieve unheard and ghastly results. The rest as we know, is history.

Plaudits must also go to Amazon for their shipping policies and protocols. Coming from the US and arriving down under in a perfect, unmarked condition is a modern day marvel.

So in summary this book is an essential reference to the Star Wars saga. With the recent announcement of Disney making more Star Wars films, we might question it's relevance, but as for now, this is the best it here is. And I am sure that a new edition will be released for episodes VII, VIII, IX et al. May the force be with Disney!
on May 8, 2011
I purchased this book recently and was very pleased with it! This three volume book is packed with everything a Star Wars fan need to know! My only gripe is that it's missing the preferences that the original Star Wars Encyclopedia had, like where the character can be found, if the character is from the comic books and what comic book he is from. Also they could have left out the word complete, because it will never really be complete as long as Star Wars continues to give us more novels, comics, video games, an animated TV series, and a live action TV series, hint, hint. I read one review that commented about the paper quality being low, I have to disagree with this. The paper quality feels and looks like any other good quality book that I have. Organized by letter much like a dictionary, I like the full page pictures at the beginning of each letter category. "This is where the fun begins!"