5.0 out of 5 stars Buyer beware!
Published on October 5, 2007 by L. Bermeo

2.0 out of 5 stars Not that great...
Published on October 14, 2009 by R. Harris

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Buyer beware!, October 5, 2007
This review is from: The Complete Vegan Kitchen: An Introduction to Vegan Cooking with More than 300 Delicious Recipes-from Easy to Elegant (Paperback)
One of the first vegan cookbooks I purchased several years ago, and have turned to frequently over the years, is Very Vegetarian (currently available new and used from Amazon), also by Jannequin Bennett - executive chef of TJ's restaurant in Richmond Virginia's 5-star Jefferson Motel. It is an attractive, well-written collection of over 300 plant-based recipes that I have enjoyed perusing as well as using. For those new to vegan cooking, Ms. Bennett's book contains helpful supplemental material introducing what may be unfamiliar ingredients, the recipes are extraordinarily well-written, and 16 color-plates throughout the book help one picture just how enticingly vegan food can be presented. Most importantly, recipes I have tried have been delicious and well received by my family! Naturally, I was excited to see that Ms. Bennett had a "new" collection out this year. What a disappointment to discover that THE COMPLETE VEGAN KITCHEN IS A RETITLED, PAPERBACK EDITION OF HER PREVIOUS BOOK. If I didn't already own the hardback edition, this would have been an exciting new addition to my now extensive collection of vegan cookbooks. It has the same interesting foreword by Olympic Athlete of the Century, Carl Lewis, all the same wonderful recipes, and is illustrated with the same beautiful photos - just presented in a colorful paperpack cover this time around. If you don't already own Very Vegetarian, I highly recommend The Complete Vegan Kitchen.Very Vegetarian

5.0 out of 5 stars A great cookbook for lovers of tasty, healthy food., February 6, 2008
Eve (San Francisco) - See all my reviews
This is a great cookbook, and you don't have to be vegan to appreciate it. Who wouldn't want to eat food this good? Everything I've made from the book so far has been terrific. What I especially like is that it does not call for any "imitation" foods. For example, the quesadillas don't use vegan cheeze, but rather a tasty bean dip to replace cheese, along with yummy sauteed vegetables. The blueberry bran muffins are fantastic and addictive. The section on vegetables includes simple but delicious preparations of veggies you know and love, but with a new twist. The roasted broccoli is so delicious you could eat a whole head a day. The brown rice-edamame-seaweed salad was so good, and looks so pretty. The author is a chef, after all, and she really knows how to make things taste good and look nice. I also really enjoyed just reading the text, as there is a lot of great cooking knowledge imparted here. I learned to cook short grain brown rice using the "excess water" technique, and turned out lovely, al dente brown rice in only 20 minutes. This is a keeper, for sure.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not that great..., October 14, 2009
R. Harris (Los Angeles, CA) - See all my reviews
When I was brand new to veganism, I carefully looked through all of amazon's Vegan cookbooks to find on that would give me insight and instruction to cooking as a vegan. After the glowing reviews and the all-encompassing title, I purchased this particular cookbook and hit the kitchen hard, sans animal products, with hope and excitement. I'm a foodie, and I was excited to embark on a grand new culinary adventure that aligned with my beliefs.

Oh, what an underwhelming experience! After experimenting with several recipes, I learned not to waste my ingredients. The recipes are unimaginative, bland and unimpressive. There is no...body...and supurb taste you normally associate with fruits and vegetables done well. Each recipe I try in any cookbook recieves a rating based on 5 stars, and no recipe in this cookbook has gotten a rating above a 3.

Save your money, and go get a real vegan cookbook. I recommend Veganomicon, it's supurb.

5.0 out of 5 stars perfect for beginners, September 21, 2008
Turangalydia (Santa Clara Ca.) - See all my reviews
Enough of the recipes can be made with supermarket ingredients so you won't get discouraged. The recipes we have tried are delicious so anyone (even firmly NOT vegans) can enjoy them. The food is filling so you don't feel deprived. The vegan pate was unbelieveable! Great texture, taste, and healthy too. We also loved the orange chipoltle sauce over tofu. Some of the recipes we found so elegant that we will be serving them for the holidays. There is basic nutritional information, so not only can you understand what is vegan and why, but also basic information that will help to build your pantry as well as kitchen tools. The baking recipes are a little more involving and some will need special ingredients, but Whole Foods, Health Stores, and even Amazon.com has most of these ingredients. Even if you are not commited to this philosophy or lifestyle this cookbook will help to eat healthier without making a ridiculous amount of work for the home cook.

5.0 out of 5 stars The non-vegan's vegan cookbook., August 10, 2009
That's how my sister, a long time vegetarian and on-again off-again vegan, described this cookbook when I showed it to her shortly after I picked it up. I don't mind, though, because that's exactly why I bought it. The sections on proper preparation of things like lentils and soy products (less common in the diets of most omnivores) along with the helpful breakdowns of different oils and non-sugar sweeteners were my chief draws to the book. I'm certain these could be found elsewhere, but having them all collected in one place has been handy for the month plus that I've owned it. The few recipes I've attempted so far have also failed to disappoint, and the vast majority of them are designed to highlight the joys of vegan food and not just to provide ways to simulate a non-vegan experience -- of course, there are standards like vegan smoothies and "milks" as well as vegan alternatives to common pantry items like mayonnaise. I highly recommend this book to beginning vegans or my fellow meat-eaters who are looking to expand their culinary horizons.

4.0 out of 5 stars Complete Vegan Kitchen, January 28, 2010
Had this item on my public wish list. Got it for Christmas 2009. Excellent beginners guide. Some things they use, I don't use, but then I am Marcobiotic. So some things are a little different. Still in all a great beginners book. If you are looking to add vegan meals to your diet or change you entire lifestyle. This is a good one.The Complete Vegan Kitchen: An Introduction to Vegan Cooking with More than 300 Delicious Recipes-from Easy to Elegant

5.0 out of 5 stars Very helpful, May 15, 2008
I am really glad I got this book. It has everything I need to cook vegan food. Plus it has a lot of general information about nutritions and specific product. I would recommend this book for everybody.

4.0 out of 5 stars good all round vegan cook book, May 8, 2008
I have found this book to be very useful, many of the recipes are easy to make and very VERY yummy!!! Highly recommended!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Serious Vegan Cooking, January 24, 2009
CatsX2 (Salt Lake City, Utah) - See all my reviews
Good cookbook with a great introduction to the Vegan lifestyle. The recipes do not use any "fake" foods like cheese substitutes which I appreciate.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent choice, September 27, 2008
Fantastic for showing how easy it is to change your eating habits to be healthier! Should be in every library.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›