5.0 out of 5 stars Anatomy for the masses with an intriguing closing chapter, June 26, 2006
This review is from: The Concise Book of the Moving Body (Paperback)
Jarmey's book investigates classiscal human musculoskeletal anatomy from a functional perspective: how do our bones, ligaments, tendons, and muscles work when we're standing still and moving? Jarmey's final chapter addresses our fascia -- the bags that wrap our muscles. Concepts such as passive and active insufficiency -- limitations to fully functional movement which are in few anatomy texts -- are discussed here. Such discussions take this book beyond a well-written and well-illustrated text -- they make it highly pertinent and practical.

The final chapter was written by Thomas Myers. Those 20 or so pages present a highly condensed version of his groundbreaking text, "Anatomy Trains." Myers discusses tensegrity and the application of this alternate means of creating structure to our musculoskeletal systems. The final two pages very briefly discuss practical applicaions and larger considerations of this whole-systems approach to understanding our bodies. Heady stuff!

It is very interesting to have these two complementary-but-distinct discussions in one book. Jarmey discusses a "levers and hinges" interpretaion; Myers presents an alternate model. Readers have the benefit of seeing both.

This is a great book for civilians -- non-medical professionals -- to learn human anatomy. It will also give those people a brief taste of the world of tensegrity pioneers Myers/Levin/Flemons/Ingber. As far as I can tell, this is one of the most fascinating and underappreciated areas in all of science; Myers presents links to investigate that world. If you find Mr. Myers's words here interesting, I strongly recommend checking out his "Anatomy Trains."

Enjoy!

--phil

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Seller, June 25, 2014
This review is from: The Concise Book of the Moving Body (Paperback)
Got this for my boyfriend for his class in college. It was exactly what he needed. Thank you very much.

5.0 out of 5 stars I love this book, June 5, 2014
This review is from: The Concise Book of the Moving Body (Paperback)
I find the human body fascinating. This book is completely detailed, along with pictures to help. I can't put it down

4.0 out of 5 stars Good book, March 26, 2014
This review is from: The Concise Book of the Moving Body (Paperback)
It's a very nice long and in-depth book. I used it when receiving my yoga teacher training. I don't think I would've gotten the book had it not been a requirement. But having read it I found it very informative.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Concise Book of the Moving Body, May 29, 2010
This review is from: The Concise Book of the Moving Body (Paperback)
An excellent quick reference book for anyone involved with the study of kinesiology or human movement.

5.0 out of 5 stars thank you, April 10, 2007
This review is from: The Concise Book of the Moving Body (Paperback)
The book is in wonderful condition and arrived very fast. i love it, it has been very helpful as a supplement for my functional anatomy course, the pictures are great, especially the muscles.

thanks!

The Concise Book of the Moving Body
The Concise Book of the Moving Body by Chris Jarmey (Paperback - May 5, 2006)
$29.95 $18.76