Truck Month Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_cbcc_7_fly_beacon Sixx AM Tile Wearable Technology Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Luxury Beauty Mother's Day Gifts Amazon Gift Card Offer starwars starwars starwars  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl ReadyRide Bikes from Diamondback May4th

on August 25, 2011
This is by far one of the most inspirational things I have ever seen. This man shows that it is possible to live the life Yeshua, aka Jesus, told us to live. Desmond Doss could not have done what he did, or have been protected as miracuously as he (along with many he saved) was, without help from Heaven.
on April 28, 2012
This documentary about the one of the very few conscientious objectors to ever win the Congressional Medal of Honor is a touching and powerful tale of faith and courage.

While the approach is simple and rough around the edges, the story of Desmond Doss, - at first a hated outcast for his refusal to carry or use a weapon, later a hero among heroes for his saving of over 75 men as a medic in what seemed all but impossible circumstances - is so unique, and almost hard to believe that it pulls you in completely, whatever its budgetary or stylistic limitations.

I was surprised to see a few critics attack it as being an ad for Christianity, or for Seventh Day Adventists in the specific. I'm neither Christian nor religious, yet I never felt I was being preached at. It's simply the case that for this man his faith is what helped give him his courage and convictions. Would I want a documentary about Martin Luther King to not deal with how he drew his inspiration from his faith? Or Gandhi or the Dali Llama from theirs?

Told by the men who were there, including Doss himself, this is a film that speaks of the grace of refusing to conform, and being driven to do
good, even at great personal risk and sacrifice. A truly inspiring story of an amazing yet humble individual. It has flaws, but in this case, it doesn't really matter.
on May 30, 2011
I usually don't watch war movies or documentary but my husband being a Marine Veteran I decided to watch this as he had to work on Memorial Day. I had planned to watch and tell him about it but this documentary is really very moving.

It tells of a solider, MEDIC who based on his faith tradition as a Seventh-day Adventist did not believe in carrying a gun but he wanted to serve his country. The documentary includes soldiers who had treated this man very bad prior to the battle field and who admit they did everything to get him thrown out of the military. The change of heart to hear how these very men later would recommend Desmond for the highest military award is so amazing.

I admire the men who were men enough to admit that they were wrong and the sense of forgiveness shown by Desmond in truly loving thy enemy. He appeared to be a humble and caring man. Words can not express how I found myself asking God to let me be true to my own faith as this man. It is a must see documentary. I am going to purchase the movie for my husband to watch.

I highly recommend it regardless of ones faith as it shows just how circumstances of "ONE MAN" could change the opinion of an entire group of soldiers. I think it is a must see and purchase or would make a great gift of a military person especially veterans to know that they are appreciated. God Bless Desmond for having allowed at least 75 mens to come back and God only knows how many of the children, grandchildren and great grands owe their lives to the lives of these men having been saved by someone who was able to look past the diversity that he experience. May we all look pass our differences and realize we are one in God and in America.
on January 6, 2012
I first saw this as a rental from "Netflix". I'd never heard of it and it "popped up" when I rented something else as "something I might be interested in". I bought a copy from Amazon the very same day as I saw the rental. This man is AMAZING. If our world would fill up with more people like him we would all look out and see a VERY DIFFERENT place. Truly exceptional!!! Do yourself a favor....do NOT miss this!!! Peace and all good things, L.
on January 15, 2013
Today's (and yesterdays for that matter) world is full of situation ethics. This man stood up for what he believed and will be honored forever. It is a story of someone with true humility and caring for those around him in spite of those same people ridiculing and trying to harm him.
on May 27, 2008
I normally do not enjoy military documentaries, this however was unbelievably riveting! The story of Desmond Doss is awe- inspiring and speaks volumes about the power of faith. I would recommend this to any one who might enjoy a historical account of great impact and a testament to the undeniable strength of humanity.
on February 21, 2016
I am not only so proud to be a Seventh Day Adventist, but proud to see a man's love for God...does that make sense? What a kindred spirit I long to be. A human being that lives for Jesus and puts Him first in all things in life, including the evils that come. What a powerful and beautifully written documentary. I know that Desmond is now sleeping peacefully, waiting until Jesus will come to awake him on that great day where he will receive his reward and hear "Well done good and faithful servant." Praise the Lord, may I too be a follower of Christ that will deny self and live for Jesus.
on May 28, 2015
This is a remarkable story of a WWII soldier who had a natural deferment, but chose to serve. Because of his religious beliefs, he refused to carry a gun and was ridiculed by officers and his fellow soldiers alike. He became a medic and . . .
I do not want to spoil this story by telling too much, but it is a fantastic story of Faith and Patriotism and Respect. I think that people of all ages could glean something from this man's story. In this time where our young women and men have been at war for so many years and for all of the Viet Nam era veterans who have been treated badly in many cases during and since that war, I think this story can teach us all to appreciate everyone who has fought for our Country. It is a documentary, but there are films and pictures of the battles and what this man accomplished as a medic. PLEASE BUY THIS FOR YOUR FAMILY. You will not be sorry that you did. And you can watch it often. There is so much to consider in this DVD.
on June 11, 2014
They're a dying breed - the old WWII warriors. This wonderful memoir discusses one man; an extraordinary old gentleman who was interviewed for this movie just a few months before his death. As he (Mr. Doss) and his former comrades discuss their individual dramas of the Pacific Theater we - the viewers - realize that human carnage, death, and mutilation was a day-to-day experience. Not for a day or two but for months - perhaps a couple of years. In our era we toss the word 'hero' out like confetti. If you want to see real heroes, you'll meet them in this flick. Hats off to Terry Benedict for allowing them to tell their story. A passing thought: as these old gentlemen relive their past, listen not only to their stories and shared experiences; listen 'between the lines' to what is NOT said.
on September 29, 2013
I'm a Vietnam Vet. Its hard to say how important this film is to me, it is the finest example of courage under fire I know of, and I've been there (Dak To, hill 875, 173rd Abn, Nov 1967,Military Intelligence), and that says a lot. It also says a lot about faith, which is really courage.

If you are looking for real inspiration, Desmond Doss is the real thing. The film is, I think, a work of love.... and I love this film.