5.0 out of 5 stars The Best Burgers I have ever tasted
I read everyone's review.

Yes. I know its "stereotyped" and "predictable" but it doesn't mean its not funny. I went out to blockbuster and rented this movie. When I came back, my friends groaned.

Published on March 9, 2006

2.0 out of 5 stars Weak! Weak! Weak!
Published on January 31, 2005 by Reggie L. Mattocks

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

2.0 out of 5 stars Weak! Weak! Weak!, January 31, 2005
This review is from: The Cookout (DVD)
I can't even believe that folks actually thought this was a funny movie. It had a few moments, and I mean a few, but it just wasn't enough to justify paying 19 bucks for this. The concept was a good one cuz anybody in the african american community knows what it's like when we have "our" family cookouts anuually. However, along with a great idea came miscasting. For one, how does Ja Rule, Eve, or even Quran Pender (who I've never heard of) get casted for a movie like this when it's clear they cannot act. Meagan Good went from the cute sassy girl on Eve's Bayou to now playing hoochies on a regular? Secondly, how do you cast Queen Latifah, Danny Glover of all people, Farah Fawcett, Tim Meadows, and the beautiful Jennifer Lewis and Frankie Faison, all veteran actors and actresses who's been in the game a long long time and instead of creating a script and letting them enhance the script, Lance Rivera makes them look bufoonish. Well, there you have it, Lance "um" Rivera. Lance stick to making videos and leave the big screen to real directors. They should have never entrusted a cast that i just mentined to an amatuer like Rivera. A wasted script with quality actors and actresses. Yes, it's a matter of opinion and this opinion states that this movie stinks.

1.0 out of 5 stars Stereotypical, Predictable and NOT Funny, February 28, 2006
U2girl (St. Louis, MO United States) - See all my reviews
This movie was full of stereotypical characters that you really don't care about. I don't think there is one original idea in this film.

Just a few stereotypes that stood out were:

- The young black guy getting drafted, as if that is all that young black guys aspire to.

- The young attractive goldigger girlfriend

- The overprotective mother and goofy father

- Once blacks move into the neighborhood all of their family come, which are always ghetto, and take over the neighborhood

- The "cool" white guy that is down with everyone.

Geez!

Now moving on to the predictability:

- From the getgo, did we not know that he would get picked?

- It was so obvious way before Eve came in the picture that the goldigger girlfriend would get dropped and that Eve would get the guy.

There was no real substance to the film, so other than those 2 points, nothing else was really going on. Farah Fawcett??? Why???

I really don't think that I laughed once the entire film. The characters that Queen Latifah and Danny Glover played were just plain embarassing. So over the top and NOT funny. I really don't like this film and probably will never watch it again.

I really like the lady that plays the mom (can't remember her name), Queen Latifah and Danny Glover, but I cannot recommend this film. Don't waste your time.

1.0 out of 5 stars badly stereotyped, February 28, 2005
i typically don't write bad reviews, but this was just aweful. i didn't crack a smile the entire time i watched it. instead i just got more pissed off by the moment. i don't blame any of the actors/actresses for this because it wasn't their fault, except for maybe danny glover for accepting such a rediculous role as a white bred black guy who is scared of other black people moving into the neighborhood, but then dramatically changes into the thing he hates after smoking some weed. it was a shame that this one even got off the editting room floor. BUT if you like movies where stereotypes are running wild, this one is for you.

1.0 out of 5 stars NOT FUNNY AT ALL!!! ..., February 20, 2006
This movie was not funny at all. I was very dissapointed. No wonder it dissapeared from the theaters as quickly as it appeared. Great talents like Jennifer Lewis, Danny Glover, Farrah Fawcett and the incomparable Queen Latifah wasted their respectable and impecable talents on this boring flick. Jennifer, Danny, Farrah and Latifah, I forgive you!

5.0 out of 5 stars The Best Burgers I have ever tasted, March 9, 2006
A Kid's Review
This review is from: The Cookout (DVD)
I read everyone's review.

"Thats the blackest movie ever!" "You should have played it save and rented Dude Where's My Car." But in the end, everyone loved it. Brittany does get VERY annoying, and one of the best parts of the whole movie is the security guard and the Crowley's.

The things in between. Name any other movie that has a full throttle security guard who cleans her glass and kisses it everyday. Now, we watch this movie all the time.

3.0 out of 5 stars The Cookout (Widescreen Edition), January 19, 2010
When Todd Anderson signs a $30 million deal with his hometown team, the New Jersey Nets, he knows that his life is set for a big change. To keep things real, he decides to throw a barbeque at his place just like the ones his family used to have. But when you have new and old friends, family, agents, and product reps in the same house, things are bound to get crazy. This movie had a good message about being responsible and down to earth even after hitting pay dirt. The Cookout is a ok movie, if you take if for what it is.

1.0 out of 5 stars One of the worst movies I've ever seen...., July 16, 2006
tkay (Tuscaloosa, Alabama) - See all my reviews
This movie was so bad that I got up and left the theatre before it was over. To call this movie boring would be an insult to boring movies. So many talented actors, so little entertainment. Please don't waste your time on this one. You'll probably come out better watching paint dry. Believe me, that would be far more entertaining.

2.0 out of 5 stars "The Cookout" is not that fulfilling., November 10, 2006
This movie did not deliver. I love black comedy like the "Friday" movies (except for the last one) but this was NOTHING like Friday. In fact, it was extra lame. There were a few funny scenes but not the way you want them to be. I have to agree with most of the previous comments, here, that this movie will most likely be pretty offensive to most black viewers. It's loaded with stereotypes and predictable humor.

That aside, I did get a chuckle out of a few of the characters. Tim Meadows' conspiracy whacko character was twisted and amusing. Meadows have a talent for subtle humor with over-the-top characters. This sounds like a contradiction, but it isn't. Danny Glover gets a few laughs in as the heavily "ball & chained" neighbor. It helps that his ball in chain happens to be Farrah Fawcett, I suppose. Both Mr. Meadows and Mr. Glover's characters were somewhat stereotypical and unoriginal, but both actors made them work, because they're pros. That old man with a stick was kind of goofy. I mildly enjoy Queen Latifah though, even in a ridiculously written role she was believable and hilarious at times. She at least made it worth my time. I will say Tim Meadows was the highlight of the movie and his lines totaled approximately 5 minutes of dialogue.

I found Jennifer Lewis' character to be intensely annoying. She was supposed to come off as "strong" and as the pillar of the family, but if I had a parent like her, I'd go to huge lengths to avoid her. Just watching her in a movie made me uncomfortable. I'm surprised that Todd's prospective client didn't head for the hills, immediately. Those grotesque fat twins were annoying. The pot smoking scene with them and Mertaw was horrendous. I was disgusted with the way they looked and acted. Ja Rule was very annoying as Bling Bling and his sidekick was just as awful. The dude Big Pu//y from The Sopranos was OK as a doo doo salesman. Rapper Storm P (aka Quran Pender) as Todd Anderson who played the young, newly-drafted NBA star did a pretty decent job in his role. Eve finally play a sweet character. For a hardcore rapper who always plays tough minded characters, it was nice to see her lovable and supple but the time she spent on the screen looked more like a cameo.

"The Cookout" has more flaws then virtues, and it will certainly offend anybody concerned with improving the image of African Americans, but it does have its brief moments but I won't recommend this being that it's unrealistic and forgettable.

1.0 out of 5 stars Stupid movie!!!!!, February 10, 2005
Oh yes, this movie is just a waist of time. the cookout made me love fast food even more. do youre self a favor dont wach this movie...

3.0 out of 5 stars y r movie voters underrating this movie this was alright, June 8, 2006
A Kid's Review
This review is from: The Cookout (DVD)
i have seen 3/4 of the movie and let me tell u it was just as funny as other underappreciate movies soul plane and johnson vacation one of my favorite parts of cookout is when legendary actor danny glove played uncle tom who had a white wife who was the 1970s sex symbol lady from charlie's angels but after he gets high with two overweight boys in the basement during the cookout he turned black again and changed his gear from classy to wearing a hip hop sweat suit the white guy from decan of defense was in this movie he was funny as cartoon network who was the talented sports agent of the high school kid who signed a 30 million dollar contract to play in the nba queen l was in this movie she played a crazy security guard that did everything by the lawbook she even tried to cancel the barbecue because they was breaking all the rules from the book the average looking guy who i kinda of use to have a crush on from cousin skeeter was the high school basketball player money digging girlfriend she wanted to be in control of everything another funny part of the movie is when her boyfriend's mom told her to get him some ham which was his favorite food the girlfriend had to drive an hour away from home she didn't do it for nothing the mother promised the girlfriend that her son who buy her something special when she gets back home when she came back home with the ham the mother told her that ham was fatfree she would the girlfriend to get ham that contain a lot of fat and juice in it so she told the girlfriend she had to go back and get another ham that contain a lot of calories in it when she came back home again the mom said no this ham has bones in she said u no my son does not like bones in his food she told the girl she had to drive 25 movies to get a butcher to cut the bones off or out of the ham one of my favorite characters in the movie was the lawyer who failed the bar test 16 times and explained his knowledge of failing the test each time to everyone during the cookout and he even was not a real lawyer ja rule was a little funny in this movie he played a gangsta who had a silly minded friend they both had a pair of expensive fancy sneakers they were trying to sell to i guess the 30 million dollar high school kid so they both could become rich when the family was having dinner after the cookout ja rule and his sidekick went to their home and tried to rob it but were unsucessful because the future nba player boy remembered him from high school called ja rule by his movie last name which had everybody around the dinner table laughing out loud ja tried to explained that his last name was a west africa name double threat talented star female rapper and actress eve made a special guest appearance toward the late middle to the end of the movie and queen l mother also co starred in the cookout who was just as funny as queen

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

The Cookout
The Cookout by Lance Rivera (DVD - 2005)
$9.98 $4.82