Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Men's Leather Watches Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon King Explore Home Audio All-New Amazon Fire TV Beauty V-Day Valentine's Day Cards Knock snow out cold Amazon Gift Card Offer girls2 girls2 girls2  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Winter Sports on Amazon.com SnS

on June 9, 2012
I spent my time this weekend in a corner of my office absorbed in these wonderful tales that I felt had been written just for me. From Home Away From Home By Dani Greer to The Closing of The Corner Cafe by Morgan Mandel, I was transported from my office, landing smack dab inside The Corner cafe. I grabbed a tall cup of java and lived with the characters for an entire afternoon. Bravo to these brilliant writers. Everyone should grab a seat in their little corner of The Corner Cafe!
33 comments22 of 23 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 10, 2012
The eighteen short stories in The Corner Cafe: A Tasty Collection of Short Stories (BBT Cafe Authors) offer a sampling of genres and writing styles, so there's something for everyone. In each story, the Corner Cafe provides the common thread. "You Can't Be Too Careful" by Bob Sanchez (a short-short tale of a man's obsession) made me laugh; "A Face in the Window" by Mary Montague Sikes (an unexpected turn in a mother's search for her lost child) tugged at my heart-strings and left me wanting more; the stunning plot twist in "One Last Run" by Helen Ginger was unexpected and gratifying; and "Home Away from Home," (a complaining grad student discovers what's really important) once again brought the petty annoyances of life into perspective. These were some of my favorites, but they all left me longing to hang out at the Corner Cafe, too.
33 comments20 of 21 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 4, 2012
This sweet little tome is filled with great tales of the human condition. Stories to make you smile, cry, sigh and enjoy. From the very short tale by Bob Sanchez about a man who can never be too prepared, a bittersweet tale by Shonell Bacon about a woman reclaiming herself from an abusive partner, to a story by S.B.Lerner about moving on from the one who never appreciated what he had, there is a story for every mood. I thought I would be mentioning a few standouts, I mean there are 18 tales - but each one was a stand out in its unique way. I recommend you grab yourself a big cup of coffee, slice of pie, and dive into the tales of the Corner Cafe! One of the best .99 I have spent on Kindle books to date.
66 comments24 of 26 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 9, 2012
The Corner Cafe is a tasty, treat-filled collection of short stories. "Love and Holsteins" by Bodie Parkhurst is a heartwarming slice of life for a farm wife and her relationships--to her husband and to the Holstein dairy cattle they raise.

Heidi M. Thomas, editor and author,
Cowgirl Dreams and Follow the Dream
33 comments14 of 15 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 27, 2012
This is a collection of stories in a variety of genres, written by different authors. As would be expected in this situation, I liked some of the stories a lot and didn't care for others. The only connection between the stories was that each had to include The Corner Cafe, but the cafe was different in each story. It might have been interesting to have used one Corner Cafe as a setting for all the stories to have some unity among the stories. However, with each author able to create their own Corner Cafe, every reader is likely to find at least one cafe and one story that appeals to them.
on June 12, 2012
A charming collection of well written vignettes. Many varieties of writing skills, bookended by Morgan Mandel's heartwarming story about the Corner Cafe.
A place many of us ventured into in our past; many savored the food and the service, but didn't really know the stories behind the counter. Ms. Mandel lets us peak into their world.
Wholesome and insightful.
A most enjoyable read.
33 comments10 of 11 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 12, 2012
Ninety-nine cents can barely buy a taco anymore, but The Corner Cafe collection of short stories is a great bargain - full of meat, sweets, and maybe a hint of jalapeno. The writers had fun with their theme and each story goes off on a different tangent. Yet we end up at the Corner Cafe savoring each word. Special props to Helen Ginger - her two stories were faves of mine.
on July 21, 2012
I really liked this book. The stories were all thoughtful ones that got you thinking about life after you read them. Some took place in The Corner Cafe and some only mention the Cafe. Good book to read.
33 comments7 of 7 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 7, 2012
An excellent book by non-mainstream writers doing individual stories behind the concept of a cafe where different stories start or end of either humorous or sometimes quite serious subject matter. The stories have such great diversity that is impossible to get bored. I especially liked the story by Audry Lintner and you should check it out too. Worth a look!
33 comments6 of 6 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 5, 2012
There is something for everyone in these wonderful short stories and where can you find a better bang for about a buck. Amusing and engaging you'll find yourself living through every mother's nightmare, some bickering bears, being at the right place at the wrong time and other unique experiences. Thoroughly enjoyed my Me time with these tales.
22 comments6 of 6 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse