5.0 out of 5 stars True tales of modern-day martyrs
Published on June 5, 2005 by Midwest Book Review

2.0 out of 5 stars Costly Call book 1 review
Violent examples of persecution by Muslims against Muslims converting to Christianity. A sobering series of testimonies of ordinary people desperately seeking reality by escaping from painful and meaningless religious dogmas and rituals. Even though only Muslim persecution was portrayed, I have seen similar persecution used against Christians converting from other...
Published on May 10, 2009 by Steve in Tustin

5.0 out of 5 stars True tales of modern-day martyrs, June 5, 2005
This review is from: The Costly Call: Modern-Day Stories of Muslims Who Found Jesus (Paperback)
The Costly Call is an anthology of true personal testimonies of Muslims worldwide who found Jesus Christ and converted to Christianity - at a terrible cost. The price for turning away from Islam in nations such as Malaysia, Egypt, Saudi Arabia, and others was fines, arrest, imprisonment, physical attacks, attacks on family members, and sometimes even execution. In many nations where Islam is dominant, proselytizing Christianity to Muslims is an illegal offense that can result in the death penalty. These are true tales of modern-day martyrs, each written in vivid first person. An unforgettable collection of true faith tested in ways that those living comfortably in nations with freedom of religion can scarcely imagine. The Costly Call is published in accordance with a non-profit interdenominational organization called The Voice of the Martyrs, dedicated to assisting those persecuted for their Christian faith worldwide.

5.0 out of 5 stars Telling the Truth, June 18, 2005
In free societies one may choose any religion, the state has no interest in religion, so long as it doesnt try to force itself upon the state. In Muslim countries, even those pretending to be 'secular' anyone who dares to convert to a non-Islamic religion is persecuted and in many cases imprisoned. In Muslim countries such as Malaysia and Pakistan, this 'religion of peace' has made it illegal for a Muslim to be converted to another religion. These are true stories of what it is like to live in these societies, from real people who experienced this persecution. The message is clear, we must open our eyes to the truth going on in the Islamic world, and to a culture that is in opposition to all those values of the rest of the world. This is not about Jesus, this is not about how wonderful Christianity is, rather it is about tolerance. In Western Universities students are propogandized about the 'tolerance' of Islam and the 'protection of the peoples of the book'. In The West Students are encouraged to convert to Islam, and every major Western college such as Oxford of Harvard has million dollar muslim endowments for the spread of Islam among the students in the guise of 'education'. Until westerners read book such as these they will never understand that verys oon their society will revert to the intolerant baseness and reactionary fascism of regimes that are in place in nations such as Malaysia and Saudi.

Seth J. Frantzman

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful True Stories!, June 1, 2005
The stories in this book are moving. Muslims are coming to faith in Jesus, and these stories allow us to glimpse into their lives and witness just how far they are willing to go in order to make that commitment. As I read each chapter I was confronted by the ease at which I live my life as a Christian believer. This book is a blessing and a challenge.

4.0 out of 5 stars Experiential, Not Theological, March 15, 2009
This book isn't for the person who wants to explore the way to evangelize, or even just understand, Muslims. Rather, it is the account of the subjective experiences of Muslims who were led to abandon their Islamic faith for faith in Jesus Christ. As some of the other reviewers note, one of the effects of the stories is to remind Western Christians how easy our faith lives are, and how flabby our faith is. Would we turn to Christ if faced with a little difficulty in life? How much less with imprisonment, abandonment, banishment, torture, or even execution!

4.0 out of 5 stars Keep the faith, May 30, 2006
Scott Walker (Fort Atkinson, Wisconsin) - See all my reviews
Twenty, short, easy to follow stories of Muslims around the world, whom once converted to Christianity became subjects of persecution. Fundamentalist Islam dominates many countries. A minority hold on to their faith only to find a costly call. The author tends to pick people with similarities in their stories. Hence I partly question the authenticity of the writings. I don't know if this is coincidence or on purpose. Otherwise I am happy to have read it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Valuble read, August 2, 2005
Westerners need to understand the beliefs of other religions, especially Islam. We take for granted the freedom and prosperity of our culture and falsely believe most everyone else shares our values of moral relativism and multi-culturalism. The book is an open window into Islamic Culture and its responce to Christianity.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very deep and very heartfelt, August 15, 2007
Amazon Customer (Portland, OR USA) - See all my reviews
This book is about 18 testimonies of muslims around the world that found Jesus as their Lord and Savior. This book was so intriguing I read it in less than 3 nights, I could barely put it down. It was very deep, not a light read at all, consequently I had to read it at night because I would get teary eyed or be so overwhelmed with the faith displayed in these pages it would blow me away.

The book really encouraged me to live out my faith in Jesus even more stronger, because most of the people in this book faced death and/or family disownment and all for the Love of Jesus Christ. This encouraged me so much. I read it almost a month ago and still cannot stop thinking about how much of a sacrifice these ex-muslims made because of Jesus sacrifice for us. They figured, Jesus has done so much for me, by dying on the cross, and raising in 3 days, I might as well be willing to die for Jesus, since he was there to die for me.

Very good book, in fact I just ordered the second costly call book because I was so impressed with this book. Truly, I tell you, I cannot say enough good things about this book. It is a tool that will enable the believer to strengthen their faith in Christ and get a glimpse of what muslims go through if they begin a relationship with Jesus. It's a costly call, but the eternal rewards are well worth the cost we face here on earth.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, November 27, 2013
I found this book to be fantastic. It is filled with stories of how Muslims have come to Christ. As one who has prayed for the salvation of Muslims, I found this book very encouraging. It has also given me more prayer points for the future - i.e. that God would give Muslims visions and dreams in order to draw them to Him. Short, concise stories that are easy to read. It's a great book to carry around with you and read a story or two when you have a few extra minutes.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, November 27, 2012
This is a page turner. I bought 2 copies. One I sent to a Muslim family in my community, hoping they will read it and pass it on. These are Muslims who have put their lives on the line for their belief in Jesus. Some amazing stories filled with inspiring miracles.

5.0 out of 5 stars testimonies of former Muslims, August 3, 2013
These are true stories of Muslims who came to faith in Christ compiled by a former Muslim. Enlightening and faith building!

The Costly Call: Modern-Day Stories of Muslims Who Found Jesus
The Costly Call: Modern-Day Stories of Muslims Who Found Jesus by Emir Fethi Caner (Paperback - January 13, 2005)
$10.99 $9.89