5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome Musical!, September 15, 2011
This review is from: The Count of Monte Cristo - Der Graf von Monte Christo (MP3 Music)
This is a great album and a great buy. If you like anything else by Frank Wildhorn, you will enjoy this album. I can't wait for it to come to the stage in America!

5.0 out of 5 stars Terrific Wildhorn!, January 4, 2012
S. Kistler (Orange County, CA) - See all my reviews
Being a fan of Frank Wildhorn's music, I bought this album on his name alone. I hadn't been familiar with the famous novel or of the various movies based on it, but I became intrigued to learn about the story because of Wildhorn's plans to do a stage musical of it. I rented the 2002 film staring Jim Caviezel, Guy Pearce and Richard Harris and have become a really big fan of this movie. Great adventure!

The songs of this musical are performed by a largely German cast, except for American Brandi Burkhardt. It's all sung in English, which gives me great hope that the intention is to bring the show to the U.S. at some point. I think this album is a real treat for Wildhorn fans and non-fans alike. The Prologue is unlike anything I've heard from the composer. It's dark, enchanting and perhaps spiritual. Amazing is the first word that came into my head when hearing it for the first time.

Other highlights of this "highlights" album include A Story Told, which is performed by those who intend to betray Edmond Dantes, the lead character. This has an angry sort of beat to it and is fun to listen to. Similar angry-driving music is heard to more extent in Hell To Your Doorstep and to less extent in I Know Those Eyes/This Man Is Dead. These are just incredible tracks. Equally incredible are I Will Be There, Every Day A Little Death and When We Are Kings. Wildhorn is know for pop balads, and there's no disappointment here. Brandi Burkhardt sings a couple of gems in When The World Was Mine and All This Time. Thomas Borchert, as Edmond, is a huge talent. One can see why he stars in just about anything produced in Germany and the surrounding areas. His final number on the album (The Man I Used To Be), while I don't believe is the finale of the show, is a great finale for this highlights album.

Highly recommend this album for your collection.

Rate and Discover Movies