Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Stephen Marley Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer showtimemulti showtimemulti showtimemulti  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

Format: DVD|Change

on February 6, 2000
I own a copy of Edith Holden's journal, "The Country Diary of An Edwardian Lady." This tasteful video production is faithful to the book and includes actual entries and Miss Holden's art work; this is an awesome example of what a nature notebook can be. The video contains live footage of wildlife and changing seasons; it brings the story of Miss Holden to life through actors who are true to their characters. The video is easier to obtain than the book, though they are both excellent. Edith lived in England and was a contemporary of Charlotte Mason.
on January 13, 2014
who posted reviews here and used a birthday gift certificate to get this DVD (could not afford the $2,500 copy offered!) I was so excited to receive it in the mail today and put it into the DVD player just now. Oh my gosh, I haven't the heart to tell my friend this, but her gift certificate to me did not yield a happy gift! The sound is so flat and dull, immediately noticeable, and the picture is below par...grainy. How is this possible?! I am glad I still have my VHS boxed set, as this disk is so very disappointing. I don't know if I have the heart to watch anymore than these first few minutes! 'May I return it?' I sadly have to ask.
on April 19, 2012
I have loved this video for years. It is a wonderful contemporary document of a peaceful country life at the beginning of the 20th Century. It shows that the authoress of the "Nature Notes" Edith Holden was a skillful botanist and Nature lover. This video makes a wonderfully romantic gift for people who have a weakness for a little nostalgia!
on October 14, 2014
We were deeply disappointed in the quality of the disks. Half way through the first disk the sound began to break up and the picture began to pixilate, shortly becoming unwatchable. The content, up to that point was fine. I was clearly remastered from old material and it showed but was quite pleasant to watch with beautiful scenery. This is at least the fourth DVD set produced by BFS that we have had problems with and we will never buy another set from that company. To the credit of Amazon, they have stood by their products and replaced sets with bad disks, but eventually the hassle is not worth it. I sent back "Captain Cook" due to bad disks.
Amazon replaced "Inspector Morse" and an Agatha Christy set. Both replacements had bad disk as well. Do not buy products produced by BFS unless you plan to get to know the folks at your local "pak and mail" real well.
This review is for the "remastered" DVD from BFS Entertainment and Multimedia Limited. My 1-star rating is solely because this DVD set has no subtitles or closed captions (not in English or any other language, either). I am hearing-impaired, and I need subtitles or CC to make sense of dialog. Before I ordered this DVD set, I tried to contact the manufacturer to find out whether subtitles or closed captions were included, and I received no answer. I contacted Amazon Customer Service, who said that the set does have English subtitles. It does not; at least I can't find how to turn them on--and I tried everything I could think of. I'm disappointed. Shame on BFS for publishing this set so that deaf and hearing-impaired people can't use it. I'm also unhappy with Amazon for providing incorrect information about the set.

Another strike against this DVD is the picture quality. It's dull and grainy, and looks terrible even played through my upscaling HD DVD player. It's not the quality I expected from a "remastered" DVD.
44 comments| 14 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 8, 2012
I have also owned this VHS set for years and have watched it many times. It fills in the details of Edith Holden's life and is faithful to the ideas of the book. It is beautifully filmed in England and Scotland. This is a lovely film to be savored and enjoyed.
on November 9, 2012
I have the book that goes with this DVD. This could have been wonderful, but the quality was very grainy and that ruined it for me.
on January 21, 2011
Interesting movie. I rented it at the library, liked it, so I bought the movie. Still looking for part 0ne
on April 22, 2014
Another lovely book giving insight into the Edwardian lives.
Drawings are beautiful and draw you into the time. A gentle
book for refreshing with a fine cup of tea.
on August 11, 2013
Great acting and scenery.... Really sad and depressing... sorry that it's a true story... but kind of beautiful in a way????