Automotive Deals BOTYSFKT Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Ruby jewelry Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports

91%

on January 20, 2010
I really enjoyed reading "The Courage To Be Free", by Charlton Heston. Charlton's core beliefs resonate with mine. Liberty is never free. It wasn't free for our founding fathers and the other ordinary hero's of the American Revolution, it wasn't free for the blacks in the South during the Civil War, it wasn't free for the concentration camp victims during WWII (the list is long of those liberty wasn't free for) and it isn't for us either. But it's well worth the fight! Even though I don't own a gun, like Charlton I'm passionate about The Bill of Rights, the second amendment right to gun ownership included, and am willing to to take a stand to ensure that they aren't taken away from us. I love the picture and quote on the back cover of the book. Charlton holding a musket above his head tells an audience of NRA people, "From my cold dead hands!" Only then would he stop his fight against those who are trying to erode the freedom's promised to us in The Bill of Rights.

Even when it wasn't popular for him to do so, I admire that Charlton has been unafraid to stand for his core values. For exmaple, when Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. marched on our nation's capital to give his "I Have A Dream" speech, Charlton organized a small group of move stars to join him in the march. This was at a time when minority rights were not important to the Hollywood elite and it brought him criticism. When Charlton died in 2008, we lost a fine actor, and even more importantly, a tireless foot soldier in the fight for liberty. I highly recommend this inspiring book.
on June 9, 2010
A book by an author that liberals love to hate. Mr. Heston speaks plainly about the foundations of our nation and the unchanging ideals which make our country great. He stands firm against any threats to our constitution. A must read for the new generation who may only know the myth and not the man.
on September 20, 2010
I loved the book when it arrived. I have admired Mr. Heston since I was a little boy and when I opened the book to discover that it had been autographed by the author, I almost fell out of my chair. What an incredible bonus for this Libertarian American. The Second Amendment Rocks and we need to keep the entire Bill of Rights uppermost in the minds of Americans.
on June 19, 2013
Mr. Heston was a LION, in a world of mamby pamby's ! He always stood up for what was right, and OUR Rights ! Even when his industry, Hollywood, shuned him . Mr. Heston was, is, and will always be right up there with the great American Heros that fought to make and keep our country free. ( On a side note, Jim Carry, go back to Canada please. )
on March 4, 2013
This book was written a while back, I think 2002. Charlton Heston hits the nail on the head with so many of today's current issues in America; gun control being only one of them. So much more in here, than just our right to bear arms being brought into question. Buy this book & let everyone you love read it!
on April 3, 2013
Prior to purchasing this book, I had seen the NRA-produced DVD collection of Charlton Heston's speeches entitled "A Patriot At The Podium." (Which I also highly recommend.) In addition to a wealth of other simple, yet articulate, common sense commentary, many transcripts from that video can be found in this book.

This book is not simply a pro-2nd Amendment tome. It's a well thought out presentation on how many Americans have come to accept misrepresentations, apathy, various forms of delinquency, abuse of power and factual distortions as commonplace.

Mr. Heston pulls no punches in describing his disdain for elitist powers-that-be who cannot accept debate on their ideas, and who are quick to label those who disagree with them, or worse yet, challenge them - as racist, closed-minded, unenlightened, zealots, or even dangerous. Yet these same people and groups claim to be the compassionate, all-encompassing champions of diversity and tolerance.

Best of all, this book outlines a plan on how each of us can become involved in our communities and increase our awareness of how our elected officials are operating, from our local school board level to monitoring and communicating with our members of congress in Washington, D.C.

It is a plain spoken, eye-opening book that should be required reading for everyone who still believes in liberty, the Bill of Rights, and maintaining the traditions and institutions that made and kept the USA a great country for generations. A perfect graduation gift for every high school or college graduate. I was a new parent when I first got it, and it reinforced my commitment and confirmed my belief that if we want our kids to turn out to be responsible, sensible adults, we have to teach them by example.

Thank you Charlton Heston, for your inspiration and diligent example of what it means to be a true patriot.
on March 10, 2015
was very happy with the purchase of this book...bought as a used book, but came like brand new...best part was that it was a signed copy...great man, great american....a must read for all that want to be free....
on July 7, 2004
This book is available with author signiture from the NRA Store website for thirty dollars.
on May 26, 2014
Great book by a great American gun enthusiast. This should be required reading in high school and college. What makes it even more special is his signature on the inside. It will be in my collection forever!
on April 10, 2015
This book was all I expected it to be. An excellent read for those of us who believe in the Constitution and the Bill of Rights. Mr Heston may be gone from us but his spirit lives on in his words.