Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: The Day the Crayons Quit
Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports

Format: Hardcover|Change

on June 27, 2013
I read this book to my 5-year-old daughter and when we got to the end she asked me to read it again. When I got to the end of the second reading she announced she had an idea about drawing "live crayons like in the book" and embarked on a project of drawing different color crayons with colored wardrobes to match and made a "dress the crayons" game out of it. She loves to have books read to her, but this is one of the only times my short-attention-span kid has asked for the same book twice in a row and the first time a book as inspired such a burst of creativity.

This book would be great for all sorts of ages: from very little kids who will like the idea of the talking crayons and the cute illustrations, to much older kids who will find the crayon's witty banter and creative complaints extremely funny.

This is going to be my new gift for everything from baby showers to birthdays to Christmas! Don't hesitate to order this one, your kids will want to hear it over and over.
33 comments| 374 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 2, 2013
I am not ashamed to admit it, I'm 41 yrs old and just purchased this book...for myself! I work at a library and when this book came in every person who read/looked at this book said they were going to purchase this book for either a child, or children in the family, or for themselves! I can't say enough good things about this book, do yourself a favor buy it! You'll smile and laugh and love it each time you read it!
33 comments| 211 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
Award-winning writer/director of film and TV Drew Daywalt, and New York Times bestseller Oliver Jeffers, deliver an entertaining children's story that is playful, and packed with fun. This delightful story will have children laughing, reading, and sharing their own thoughts, while giving crayons a whole new meaning. The colorful, stunning illustrations come to life as each colorful crayon gives their complaint, while protesting about their color. Orange and Yellow are not speaking to each other for their own reasons, Beige doesn't want to compete with Brown,Blue is tired of coloring lots of water, and it seems that only Green has no complaints. What complaint does Black have, and will Orange and Yellow learn to compromise? A colorful solution must be met as all the complaints pile up, so that the crayons never think about calling it quits again. Poor Duncan just wants to color, and he wants his crayons to be happy. Does Duncan solve all the crayon problems, and get an A+ for coloring? There are several Dear Duncan letters to solve as children giggle their way to the end. Fascinating, inviting, and entertaining throughout. Highly recommended for teachers,parents, and child-care providers!
44 comments| 219 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
VINE VOICEon June 28, 2013
It seems that our young narrator, Duncan, gets to school and is about to open his crayon box to find a stack of letters on top. The letters were individually sent by the various colored crayons with a myriad of complaints,except for GREEN, which is happy with its lot, but would like Duncan to settle the disputes the other colors seems to have. Some complain of being tired from being used too much, some are depressed at not being used enough, and one even complains that Duncan uses it to color outside the lines [for shame for shame] :-) Beige hates playing second fiddle to brown and pink thinks that Duncan feels only a girl would ever use pink. Duncan finally figures out a way to make all the crayons happy and the story ends well.

I thought the drawings were very representative of what a kindergartner or first/second grader might do and kids of that age should easily be able to relate. A quite original idea for anthropomorphizing inanimate objects and making them come to life and thrill the young ones at the same time. Each of the various colored crayons had a letter written to Duncan in their very own color.
0Comment| 113 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 10, 2013
You know a picture book must be good if you catch your teenagers reading it and laughing, and then rereading their favorite parts! By that measure alone, this one is a winner. The premise is lighthearted and humorous. One day Duncan reaches for his crayon box to color and instead finds a stack of letters awaiting him. Each crayon has written to him with engaging voice and personality. There are complaints, requests, and compliments. Each crayon presents its case with a unique voice and with much fun for the reader. How will Duncan keep his crayons happy and resume his "coloring career?" At the end Duncan manages to find a creative solution that satisfies him, his crayons and his teacher!

Out of the many picture books I've previewed this summer with an eye to acquiring for the classroom, this is one of the few that has made it to the "must buy" stack. It is a delight from start to finish and I can't wait to share it with my second graders this fall. I can foresee using this as a mentor text to teach about point of view, voice, persuasive letter writing and more. More importantly, I know kids will immediately fall into the spirit of the story. I can already hear them giggling at the humor and predicting what each color will write. I suspect they'll look at their crayons through a different lens and perhaps even be inspired to add a new color to their coloring repertoire!

Bottom line, this book is a delightful read aloud for all and a wonderful addition to any home or classroom library.
44 comments| 108 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 21, 2013
So we picked this up at the book store this weekend. My daughter, a Kindergartener, was sooo tickled by this book. We seem to have a nightly conversation about putting away or otherwise taking better care of crayons, which I find myself purchasing a couple of times per month, so this book helped me drive home the point that your crayons deserve more "respect." Admittedly, I added the words "I Quit!" to the end of each letter written by the crayon to Duncan, and she thought it was hysterical! I think some of the negative reviews are from people who take it a little seriously. The crayons are whining a little because they are asking Duncan for variety, fair and equal treatment, and to be better taken care of. And to the author's credit, he also added a thank you letter from a happy crayon, and asked Duncan to sort out a disagreement between 2 other colors, and ultimately, Duncan's solution was to think outside of the box to make everyone happy, with a beautiful ending result. I'm not great at writing reviews but I hope this helps someone.
on October 16, 2013
My guess is some (or maybe most) of the glowing reviews are being generated by a PR firm hired by the publisher. I really wanted to love this book because my niece and I share of love crayons. But when I read the story I was a little surprised and disappointed at the language and stereotypes the crayons use to express their feelings. I'll admit I was hoping for something a little more creative/innocent in terms of their protest. Instead what I encountered was a lot of whining, some questionable/negative manners of expression and a few unimaginative stereotypes--basically attitudes I would not want to encourage in my niece or any other young reader. I will admit I was most offended by the use of the word 'HATE' (spelled in all caps) in a letter authored by the black crayon. If language like this is something you're OK with, then by all means don't let it get in the way of you and your little reader enjoying the creative and delightful drawings that accompany them. The illustrations are the only reason I have not returned the book.
3838 comments| 260 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
VINE VOICEon November 21, 2013
I'm not sure what others find so charming in this new picture book. The crayons are whiney, entitled little brats who all have something about their work they feel the need to complain about except for the green crayon who just complains that yellow and orange are driving him crazy. Yellow and orange crayon are demanding and obnoxious and resort to name calling. Blue is complaining because he's the favorite and has been used so much that now he's stubby.

The tone and content of this book sort of set my teeth on edge. It's the kind of annoying "it's not fair" lament that prompts the response "life's not fair" or the whining cry that in the olden days would have earned a "quit your crying or I'll give you something to cry about".

Call me an old crabby pants but I'm not feelin' it with this one.
Save your money and borrow it from your local library before you put it on your shopping list.
1212 comments| 57 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 9, 2014
The idea of this book and the reviews of it made me want to try it out for my almost 5 and 3 year olds. They were excited to get the book and read it for the first time and have begged to read it every day since. I like that we are introduced to a few "new" colors - beige, peach - instead of just the basic colors that we already know. I also like that each color writes a letter to Duncan, introducing letter writing to my kids and allowing creativity in giving each color a voice and personality as we read it's letter. The kids love to ask questions about why each crayon feels the way he or she does. As I read each crayon's letter, I ask the kids questions about why that color is upset and what might make it feel better. The kids especially love the complaint of the peach crayon - actually something that I thought about many times as a child when my crayons lost their paper. I'm extremely happy that we purchased the book and it has officially made it to our "let's keep these books safe" bookshelf instead of the bookshelf in the playroom.
on August 6, 2013
I bought this book for a little 4 year old family friend who is headed to his first day of pre-school. I read it to my own daughter before wrapping it and it is HILARIOUS!! Very creative and a riot. Great gift idea for back-to-school!