5.0 out of 5 stars Must, MUST read.
Think you know anything about the dollar bills in your wallet?
Think you know who runs this country?
Think that we live in a "free market" economy?
Think again.
Published on April 16, 2003 by BuySilver Now

3.0 out of 5 stars Not the content covered in the book
i am not giving a poor review of the subject matter. But as others have commented, this is not a reading of the actual book. It is a recording of a lecture given by Mr. Griffen. I felt that it was not adequately described. The actual subject is very worth while and I am sure that Mr. Griffin give it great treatment from what I can tell from the reviews of the printed...
Published 13 months ago by Rod A.

5.0 out of 5 stars Must, MUST read., April 16, 2003
This review is from: The Creature from Jekyll Island: A Second Look at the Federal Reserve (Paperback)
Think you know anything about the dollar bills in your wallet?
Think you know who runs this country?
Think that we live in a "free market" economy?
Think again.
Griffin piles up facts and analyzes them with relentless, cold logic. The picture he paints isn't pretty. The Federal Reserve System is a legal cartel expressly designed to create riskless profits for member banks, while simultaneously turning our entire financial system into the legal and moral equivalent of a Las Vegas casino. Yeah, you might get lucky for a while, but the house will always win. Our monetary system is a pyramid scheme that only functions as long as debt is being created at an accelerating rate.
This all sounds crazy, but Griffin has the facts to back it up. The challenging part about Griffin's arguments is that he explicitly states that the foundation and perpetuation of the Federal Reserve System was a conspiracy. Whenever the "C"-word is mentioned, it is an unfortunate truth that many people get turned off. But as Griffith himself says, if a group of people, operating in secret, create a system that explicitly benefits themselves at the expense of others, what else can you call it but conspiracy? Heck, I guess you could call it a "peanut" or a "canteloupe" but it would still add up to the same thing--a system expressly designed to reward failure and punish diligence and honesty. Kinda explains all the crookedness and incompetence behind all the wall street and corporate shenanigans of the last decade, doesn't it?
And if you keep an open mind and pay close attention to his arguments, you'll see that the best place to hide a conspiracy is in plain sight.
If you care about free markets, and your constitutional rights, you will read this book today.

5.0 out of 5 stars An Evil Of MONSTROUS Proportions!, May 5, 2006
STEPHEN T. McCARTHY (a Mensa-donkey in Phoenix, Airheadzona.) - See all my reviews
What is The Creature From Jekyll Island? Well, first of all, it's uglier than The Creature from the Black Lagoon; it's more densely wrapped in deception than the Mummy is in cloth; it sucks the lifeblood of America more ravenously than Dracula does his victims; it reeks worse than the Werewolf; and it's stronger and more dangerous than Doctor Frankenstein's miscreation!

The Creature from Jekyll Island is the PRIVATE Federal Reserve that holds America and Her People hostage with an astoundingly perverse and "criminal" economic system that is an evil beyond your worst monster-infested nightmare. But the Creature comes in a guise to mislead the people, like a Wolfman in sheep's clothing.

Why is the system "criminal"? Because the U.S. Constitution proclaims itself to be the "supreme Law of the Land" (see Article VI), and Article I, Section VIII of the Constitution states that "The Congress shall (Constitutionally speaking, "shall" has been legally defined as "must")...coin money, regulate the value thereof, and of foreign coin, and fix the standard of weights and measures." Why Congress? Because it is answerable to the People it represents! Remember, our Constitutional Republic was meant to be representational government! We're a long way from that now! The Federal Reserve is NOT Congress; it is unelected, meaning nonrepresentational, and being therefore unconstitutional, it is illegal, hence "criminal."

I first read G. Edwrd Griffin's magnificent study, 'The Creature From Jekyll Island' eight years ago. I had read plenty of political books prior to this one, and countless since, but Mr. Griffin's tour de force has yet to be equaled when it comes to educating the reader in wide-ranging topics that coalesce most of the geopolitical mysteries of our time into the diabolical scheme known as the Federal Reserve System.

Don't make the mistake of letting the sophisticated subject matter drive you away as forcefully as the intriguing title beckons you. Despite the complexity of the topic, G. Edward Griffin masterfully organizes the material and lays it out, not only in a very readable manner, but he actually fashions a carefully researched, extensively footnoted nonfiction tome into a spellbinding journey that reads nearly like a page-turning mystery novel.

In the process of explaining and demystifying the history, the stated goals of the Federal Reserve, and the real agenda behind it, Mr. Griffin necessarily enlightens the reader about myriad conspirators who occupy positions in a variety of social engineering organizations. Without this understanding, one could not possibly grasp the full scope of the problem, nor fathom how such a demonstrably evil entity could have remained cloaked and in power since 1913. (Indeed the thirteenth year of the Twentieth Century represented an unlucky number for America and eventually the world.)

You will find some reviewers here complaining that Mr. Griffin has unfortunately polluted his 600+ page study with John Birch Society style conspiracy theories. What you WON'T find is where any of those same reviewers have proven any errors in fact committed by Mr. Griffin. They challenge the idea of a conspiracy, but not any of the abundant and overt evidence that clearly points to it. I myself don't like little yapping dogs, but I'm not prepared to say that they don't exist simply because I'd prefer not to even think about them. And I can hear those yapping quadrupeds as clearly as I can see the indisputable evidence of underhanded collusion in high and influential places when it comes to this country's monetary system.

"You are a den of vipers!" President Andrew Jackson thundered at a delegation of supporters of the central Bank of the United States in 1834. "I intend to rout you out, and by the Eternal God I will rout you out!" Jackson succeeded in ridding this country of the inherent perniciousness that a central bank levels on a nation. But President Jackson's hard-earned victory for his countrymen was sadly overturned in 1913, when a corrupt privately owned central bank was again foisted on the sleeping people of this once free nation in the form of The Federal Reserve cartel. As Griffin states on page 573, "The Federal Reserve is the world's largest and most successful scam."

I will tell you plainly that regardless of what you think you know about the political spectrum, Democrats and Republicans, liberals and conservatives, civil rights and corporate greed, socialism and capitalism -- regardless of how well informed you may think you are by reading mainstream news magazines and newspapers, listening to NPR and talk radio programs and watching political debates on nightly news TV shows -- until you have read and digested G. Edward Griffin's, 'THE CREATURE FROM JEKYLL ISLAND', you will never really understand contemporary American and global politics. But afterwards, the political puzzle will come together before your eyes, and never again will you follow the red herring into the brainwashing house of mirrors which is our current political milieu.

If you're inclined to read only one political book, be sure it's this one, as it will make sense of your world like nothing else. 'THE CREATURE FROM JEKYLL ISLAND' belongs in the personal library of every American who truly cares about his or her country (regardless of political party affiliation); by rousing the people of this nation from the ignorance of deep sleep, it has the potential to be the silver bullet or the stake through the heart of America's worst monster! Read it now or the Wolfman's gonna getcha!

5.0 out of 5 stars A Bechmark In The Realm Of Civic Knowledge!, August 29, 2004
Author G. Edward Griffin's book "The Creature From Jekyll Island: A Second Look At The Federal Reserve" is a most well researched and written historical text. Griffin presents the background with almost an air of mystery that the reader must peel away, like layers of an onion, to reveal the truth.

The book provides, in great detail, the time, place, and manner in which the groundwork for the Federal Reserve was laid, and more importantly, the reasons why. Griffin explains why even the name is misleading. The Federal Reserve is not a federal or governmental administration, and it is not a reserve, such as a bank.

Also provided is great historical detail about the commerce and industry in our nation during the Nineteenth and early Twentieth Centuries. This book will not disappoint the reader looking to expand his or her knowledge of how the collective financial machinations of our country are run.

I read this book during my undergraduate years and once presented the book in defense of a historical argument I had with one of my history professors. Needless to say the professor looked at my reference (the book is so well researched), acceded to my contention, borrowed the book "for his own enrichment" and never gave it back! I gratefully let him keep it so maybe he would soften his ascribed "socialist democrat" leanings. Unfortunately I am sans the book this day. Oh well, we march on.

As the topic of Civics is not really taught in public schools, or even required in undergraduate studies anymore, this book will serve to "illuminate" the reader into the background of how private finances and politics are inseparable. My only criticism of this text is the highlighted aspect of a government conspiracy at work. Not that Griffin's arguments have no merit, they certainly do, as Lord Acton so aptly is quoted "Power corrupts and absolute power corrupts absolutely!" However, the mere aspect of "a conspiracy notion" is all the extremists on all sides need to "debunk" a truly great piece of historical research and writing.

I rate this wonderful book five stars. It is well worth the money and deserves a place on the library shelf of every institution and the home of every student of history.

5.0 out of 5 stars The History and Abuses of Central Banking, Fractional Reserve Banking, and Fiat Money, July 30, 2008
Mark Fegley (Philadelphia Area) - See all my reviews
This was a truly fantastic book and receives my highest level of recommendation. I read this book in four days I couldn't put the book down it was too good. One of the best books I have ever read. One of the best overviews of the Fed and central bank structure, history, and establishment in one source. Superb overview of American Monetary history from pre-revolution up until WWI. I would recommend this book to anyone interested in economics, history, politics, or thrillers.

If you do not know the meaning of the words Federal Reserve, fiat money, fractional reserve system, or money then you will have you will learn a great deal about money and banking in this masterpiece. This book details the fraud that the Fed is and how the Federal Reserve robs and plunders the American people and has put our nation at risk through the issuance of Fiat money. The book also gives a great explanation of how fiat money is an influencing factor for a nation to wage wars. You will learn how central banking is the single most powerful group in our world and you learn how they dictate and own almost every government in the world.

The main topics in the book are: how inflation works, the evolution of central banking over the past 400 years, the role of central banking in history, the history of money in banking in America pre-revolution to WWI with the addition of the Savings and Loan Crisis, the responsibility of bankers of drawing America into WWI, the role they played in the Bolshevik revolution, the role of the Federal Reserve played in causing the great depression, the dangers of a fractional reserve banking system, the difference between Commodity Money (metal coins), Receipt Money (paper money with 100% commodity backing), Fiat Money (pieces of paper with no value but declared legal currency, current Federal Reserve Note and today's US Dollar), and Fractional Money (Paper money with a % backing of a commodity), the rise of the Rothschild family and their important role in history, the rise of the Morgan family, and the secrecy of the formation of the Fed and their players.

Some side topics in the book are the plan by certain individuals and secret groups such as the Council on Foreign Relations and Fabians who wish to form a global government through the use of central banking and a common world currency. Also the author exposes some specific schemes of these groups such as crafting an environmental crisis which is not real. (ie global warming, if you wish to learn more about this topic I recommend Environmentalism: Power and Ideology by Donald Gibson which details the history and corruption of the environmental movement).

If you liked this book I would recommend Thieves in the Temple by Andre Eggelletion and a DVD titled, the Money Masters by Bill Still. Off topic from banking but detailing how the world really works I would also highly recommend both Thy Will Be Done: The Conquest of the Amazon : Nelson Rockefeller and Evangelism in the Age of Oil by Gerald Colby and Battling Wall Street by Donald Gibson

Overall this a fantastic book, I would have a hard time finding anyone who would not greatly enjoy this book and come away with a wealth of knowledge. If you really have no idea about the Federal Reserve and money then after this book your life will be divided into two time periods before reading Jekyll Island and after reading Jekyll Island as your whole perception of the world will change. I would suggest reading this book carefully and slowly especially if you are new to the topic. It is a large book 588 pages, I would suggest reading each section as a mini-book. If you read one section a week you can retain the information and tackle the book in 6 weeks. The book is organized very well and each chapter has an introduction and a summary. I would say that this is a book to own not just to read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Warning: This book will change your life, June 30, 2005
Here is a quick overview of how I figured out the monetary system to the point of being confident that my understanding is reasonably correct and being able to explain the basic scam in about 45 minutes.

First I became convinced that if I am ever going to understand how the world works I should probably figure out an answer to the question "what is money?" Surprisingly, a search on Amazon.com did not return very many books on the topic. Like any good college educated liberal I chose the one book which garnered praise from all my favorite trusted sources such as the New York Times and the Washington Post. I didn't see how I could possibly go wrong spending $12.92 for the 800 page book "Secrets from the Temple: How the Federal Reserve Runs the Country", which The Nation said, "May be the most important political book of the decade."

Unfortunately, after reading William Greider's 10 year, day by day account of Federal Reserve Chairman Paul Volker's back and forth decisions on raising and lowering interest rates, I still did not have the foggiest clue as to what money is or how it is created. I'm sure most people would have given up at this point but I was not ready to throw in the towel. For some reason I was not convinced by the book's conclusion that it was critically important to maintain the money mystery because "Taboos uncoded lost their power to persuade...The mystery was necessary, therefore, to sustain social faith. Knowledge was disturbing. Not knowing the secrets was reassuring."

I needed another book, however the only ones that the New York Times seemed to recommend were all described as condensed versions of "Secrets of the Temple." I had no choice but to bite the bullet and for the first time in my life order a book which was not recommended by the New York Times. I ordered "The Creature from Jekyll Island: A Second Look at the Federal Reserve by G. Edward Griffin. At least Willie Nelson seemed to like it. Actually, I wasn't quite sure if Willie Nelson was wholeheartedly endorsing the book in his review which simply read, "Scary. It's the story of the world banking system. Enough said."

I was quite pleased that Jekyll Island contained a pretty good description of the money creation process. However, the book contained a lot more than that. All I can say is that I often see my life as divided into two main periods; before reading Jekyll Island and after reading Jekyll Island. I finally knew what Willie Nelson meant by "scary."

Now that I was starting to really get somewhere in figuring out how money is created, I needed to find more information to clear up some of the details. My wife even got involved in the search for truly academic and scholarly information. I will be forever indebted to her for discovering a free downloadable copy of a book entitled "The Mystery of Banking" by Murray Rothbard. This was exactly what I had always been looking for. It clearly explained the process without dumbing it down in any way or obfuscating the details in order to "sustain social faith."

That is essentially how I got started in learning about money. I have found this to be the most fascinating field I have ever encountered and I am very glad that I didn't take William Grieder's advise to remain blissfully ignorant.

4.0 out of 5 stars System Failure?, January 27, 2007
My high school history books interpretation of The Federal Reserve Act.

"Wilson scored another triumph. In 1913 he signed the epochal Federal Reserve Act, the most important piece of economic legislation between the Civil War and the New Deal...The Federal Reserve Act was a red-letter achievement. It carried the nation with flying banners through the financial crises of the World War of 1914-1918. Without it, the Republic's progress toward the modern economic age would have been seriously retarded."

The textbook forgot to add "The Federal Reserve Act also helped in making government less accountable for its actions..." and so on. So what is the lesson here? Read the book and find out for yourself. Griffin's writing is very well structured and easy for anybody to understand. Griffin removes the veil of confusion surrounding The Federal Reserve and money allowing the reader to see the absurdity of it all. And its a fun read.

Its unfortunate that schools don't teach this but why would the US government expose its flaws?

5.0 out of 5 stars I Can't Believe I Did Not Know Any of This!, July 13, 2004
deb (south carolina) - See all my reviews
This is an amazing book. It is disconcerting to think I have lived 50 plus years, been in the banking and real estate industries a large portion of those years and never had a clue about how money is created, how banks REALLY operate and the incredible history and functions of the NOT so federal reserve. Initially, I was fascinated with the information, but by the end of the book, I was furious - furious at how we have all been led along and controlled - don't miss this - a Large Light Bulb comes on and you cannot forget it or walk away.

5.0 out of 5 stars Required reading in understanding what makes the world go round: $$$, November 18, 2006
Morgan, Rocketfeller on the U.S. side, plus Rothchild and Warburg on the European side, met in secret on Jekyll Island to form a cartel and centralize banking. There goal was to maximize profits by minimizing competition and make it difficult for new competitors. Then they would use the government to enforce there private cartel at the expense of the people. They created a shared monopoly called the Federal Reserve to force the public to pay higher prices than they would under a free- enterprise competition system. This curtailed for a period of time bank runs and currency drains. When the inevitable disaster did occur they would shift the public blame from themselves to "economy", "exchange value of dollar", or even the "capital system". The Federal Reserve could shift the burden of fixing these inevitable losses to the tax payer. Since it's inception to stop crashes and recessions we have had the crashes of 1921, 1929, 1939, and recessions of 53,57,69,75,81, Black monday 87 plus the 2000 debacle. So the Federal Reserve is simply a legal private monopoly of the money supply operated for the benefit of the few under the guise of protecting and promoting the public interest.

Pick up this book and read in detail how the wars are started, how the crashes are launched, how they rape and pillage the third world, and where the U.S. is headed and indeed the world - into the 21st century. It is knowledge that Jefferson wanted for the people and it is the monoplies he and Linclon feared the most. Those moneyed corporate interests would eventually cause the elimination of the middle class. Without the middle class: The Republic is dead. A MUST READ!!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Should be REQUIRED READING for all citizens!, September 4, 2002
By A Customer
For anyone searching for answers as to why the financial markets are continuing to drain all of their hard-earned money away as the so-called "experts" and politicians continue to claim "the worst is behind us", "the economy is fundamentally sound", etc. -- this book is a must read.
I trade in the market for a living, have studied the market, and have read countless books related to the markets, monetary theory, and the economics. This book gives the clearest explanation of the basic problem facing our financial system that I have seen to date. It is written for the average person to read -- it's not packed with technical language -- and come away with eyes wide open. You will see things much clearer after reading this and you will know where your money has gone and what you may be able to do to prevent it's continued departure in the future.
I HIGHLY RECOMMEND this book to all U.S. citizens. We all need to know exactly how the system really works. Most are not aware that the Federal Reserve is NOT a government agency -- it is owned by the big banks -- yet it's actions are back by the full faith and credit of the United States. Think about that for a moment the next time the FED decides to bailout someone who makes mountains of rediculously risky loans that go bad, (Argentina, Brazil, etc.). If the big banks know that they will be bailed out by the taxing authority of the U.S. government on us citizens, why should they exercise any restraint on what they do. If it works out they make a fortune, if it doesn't they get bailed out. Bailouts, flooding the system with freshly created money out of thin air, artificially low interest rates are all ways to drain money from the many into the hands of the few. The sooner people realize what is happening and why, the better off we'll all be in the long run.
Contrary to what the morons on Bubblevision are telling the public, this market has at least another 40% to fall from here over the course of the next few years. The sooner we Americans come to grips with the real problems and START THINKING and making decisions on our own, we'll continue to get financially decimated.

5.0 out of 5 stars History of The Federal Reserve that is more captivating than the best novel., July 17, 2008
"I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies. If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around [the banks] will deprive the people of all property until their children wake-up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered. The issuing power should be taken from the banks and restored to the people, to whom it properly belongs." Thomas Jefferson, our 3rd President

I sit before you tonight with a great deal of concern for the future of our nation. In 1913 President Woodrow Wilson passed into law the Federal Reserve, and once this banking cartel(part private bank backed by government) came into being it brought with it the seeds of misery and totalitarianism. Griffin will tell you a tale that reads better than any fiction novel about a private network of Central banks that plan to enslave the world through a one world currency and government. He documents everything he brings before the reader with congressional records, U.N. documents, and the words of the international bankers themselves. By the end of this book you will see the Federal Reserve for what it really is: A mechanism of our republics destruction, a mechanism of taxation via the hidden tax inflation, and one of the greatest threats to both our liberty and freedom. I can not put into words the impact this information has had on me. A well researched and thorough book not only of our Federal Reserve system, but of all the torment that has and will someday come with it; some of which you are starting to witness now. If you read only one book outside The Bible this year this should be it. 5 stars hands down....

"They may pass a law to issue paper money, but twenty laws will not make the people receive it. Paper money is founded upon fraud and knavery." George Mason in a letter to George Washington.

"The man who trades freedom for security does not deserve nor will he ever receive either." Benjamin Franklin.

"For the love of money is the root for all kinds of evil.: 1 Timothy 6:10A

The Creature from Jekyll Island: A Second Look at the Federal Reserve
The Creature from Jekyll Island: A Second Look at the Federal Reserve by G. Edward Griffin (Paperback - June 1, 2002)
Used & New from: $18.50