4.0 out of 5 stars Nice, light read
Published on April 8, 2011 by J. Whitus (Book Junkie) Walkin...

3.0 out of 5 stars Promising, but not quite there
Published on September 21, 2011 by Jody

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice, light read, April 8, 2011
This review is from: The Crimson-Eyed Dragon (Paperback)
This was a great light read for any adult and a fantastic read for younger audiences as well. While the characterizations were a little flat I still enjoyed the story. The author gave a good deal of information on dragon folklore that I found very interesting. For an adult this story is predictable and may lack in some excitement. For the more youthful reader, I think this book is a great adventure to get lost in.

Reviewed for Black Rose Reviews
[…]

5.0 out of 5 stars A great book for teen readers, April 29, 2011
HarleyGirl (West of England) - See all my reviews
I hadn't realised when I started reading this that it was really aimed, in my opinion, at a younger readership than me! Once I made the mental adjustment, I really enjoyed it. It's a nice little mystery adventure, with a little love story and some sweet teen romance thrown in.

I liked it because these kids were decent and looked after each other. There was no bad language, though the dialogue was a times a little clunky, it was a very readable story and I wanted to see how it ended.

I would have no hesitation in recommending this to my 12 year old niece, she would really enjoy it. There is enough detail about teenage shopping and eating habits to keep her interested!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fun little mystery., January 4, 2011
My first read for 2011. I had the honor of hosting this book for Kindle Kisses a while back, so I thought I better go ahead and read it myself. So glad I did. This was a really fun book. It kind of reminded me of The Hardy Boys or Encyclopedia Brown, with a fun mystery, and a cast of curious young adults. The plot was well thought out and the whole book was entertaining. I think it would be a great book for all ages. I'm interested in seeing if Ms. Trink decides to turn this into a series. I think it would do really well.

3.0 out of 5 stars Promising, but not quite there, September 21, 2011
Jody (Northwest Ohio) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
The Crimson Eyed Dragon has many elements necessary for an intriguing teen mystery. There's hidden treasure, some bad guys hot in pursuit and some very nice interactions among the protagonists. In the best tradition of teen adventure stories, the characters in The Crimson Eyed Dragon are energetic self-starters, though they sometimes get distracted by swimming pools and young love. Whether they're biking around town, trawling the mall or hitching a ride to an old house with its promise of treasure, they're always up to something. There's a lot of plot to this story, and it's well put together. I also liked the characters' relationships with each other.

The drawbacks are some awkward dialogue along with a lot of pages that read like encyclopedia entries. Granted, the information those pages contain are significant, but a more skilled writer could have incorporated the facts into the narrative without making it seem like a Wikipedia entry. Adults can enjoy the very best books for young people without feeling like they're reading a kids book. Unfortunately this is not one of those. This writer shows much promise even if the book is a bit of a disappointment. It's still a bargain for the price if just to find out some interesting information about rubies and dragons.

4.0 out of 5 stars Wonder if the "D" stands for "Dragon"...? :), January 3, 2011
Syria Says... (Southeast Texas) - See all my reviews
Storyline: The Crimson Eyed Dragon by D.M. Trink, is a great mystery story for those who believe in the power of love and indulge a little in World of Warcraft.

Jared is a typical teenager: he's ready to fight zombies, increase his warlock powers and work on getting his driver's license. And all while on his summer break. Whew! As if World of Warcraft games aren't enough, he is drawn into the mystery of a statue he finds in an antique shop. Who is Abigail? And what of the mysterious rubies?

As Jared and his friends (and even the cute older sister of his best friend) try to unravel the mystery of a past love, they find themselves in the middle of a situation that could spell the end of their summer vacation - permanently!

Grammar/Spelling: I noticed a smattering of punctuation and grammar issues though out the story. For example: Rural Ontario, Canada was a sprawling, thriving network of communities outside the cities that specialized in agriculture and forestry and it was easy to get lost amid its' vastness. I don't believe that "its'" in this case should have the apostrophe. (I could be wrong - it COULD happen.) I think another read-through by a beta reader could correct these issues.

Character Development: I don't know if it's because they're Canadian, but the teenagers in the book seemed very polite! I'm kidding. But, seriously, they were very sweet characters that reminded me of the type of characters found in a Nancy Drew or Hardy Boys book. There doesn't really seem to be a need for too much character development given the nature of the story.

Writing Style: The writing style was simplistic, straightforward and perfectly suited for younger readers. Ms. Trink peppers the story with quite a bit of World of Warcraft references and even though I don't play, I was able to follow (for the most part) what Jared was talking about. The Crimson Dragon is also full of dragon lore (I didn't know that some Japanese dragons could turn their breath into clouds and that sprayed fire and water.)

I would like to note that the dialogue seemed a bit old fashioned. For example: "Oh my goodness!" shouted Griffin. "What are we waiting for--let's go!" It doesn't seem natural for a modern 15 or 16 year old boy to exclaim that.

I know that this is a story aimed at the younger readers, but even so, I believe that a 15 year old would probably exclaim something more along the lines of: "Alright!" shouted Griffin. "What are we waiting for-let's go!"

Continuity: I noticed no issues with the continuity of the story.

Overall Rating: 4-

The Crimson Eyed Dragon by Ms. D.M. Trink was a great story with several twists and an intriguing mystery. I would highly recommend this book to younger readers with an interest in mysteries and dragons. (It doesn't hurt to have some World of Warcraft knowledge in your back pocket as well!)

5.0 out of 5 stars A 5 Star Book, January 2, 2011
I found this book on my Kindle. Which I love...I also loved this book. It reminded me of the movie "The Goonies". All I can say is move over Goonies!! Here comes "The Crimson-Eyed Dragon" by D.M. Trink. If you loved the movie "Goonies" you will fall in love with this book. A group of teenagers trying to solve a mystery. A FIVE STAR BOOK!!

1.0 out of 5 stars Editing and writing issues, July 4, 2012
I read about three pages and then deleted it it. I'm all for people going the indie route in publishing. I won't , however, read a book that is not ready for publication. In those few pages I read...
Point of view errors
Editing mistakes, such as referring to the characters by the first name at first and then the full name later
Formatting errors
This is a good first draft. Hope the writer tackles making it great some time.

5.0 out of 5 stars A totally engaging and suspenseful tale!, December 30, 2010
When I started reading The Crimson Eyed Dragon, I frankly wasn't sure what to expect. However, from almost the beginning the story pulled me in and I could easily picture the capers of these teenagers. I feel that it is so well-written, that readers of almost any age will enjoy this story. The author did a great job of 'tying up' all lose ends and made the reader feel good with all the various twists and turns.

As a side note, this is the second book that I've read by this author -- Wrapped in a Rainbow being the first. Since The Crimson Eyed Dragon is VASTLY different from her other book I was concerned at first. However, they were both excellent stories. This proved to me that this author is capable of writing not just in one genre, but in multiple styles. I look forward to more from this author in the future.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Book!, June 6, 2014
I enjoyed this mystery. The characters were great and I am hoping there is a sequel. I liked the subtle supernatural theme as well.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent story, December 28, 2013
this was one of my daughter's picks. it's a great little story which keeps you enthralled all the way to the end.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

The Crimson-Eyed Dragon
The Crimson-Eyed Dragon by Delyse Rodrigues-Trink (Paperback - November 12, 2010)
$7.98 $7.18