5.0 out of 5 stars It cleared my channels
Published on December 16, 2000

3.0 out of 5 stars Three Stars
not what I was expecting.
Published 21 days ago by Skully

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars It cleared my channels, December 16, 2000
This review is from: The Crone: Woman of Age, Wisdom, and Power (Paperback)
I read this book into the wee hours of the morning because it was connecting the dots in so many ways. All the mythological names I had studied in high school and at the university were re-visited in her text and explained. She makes a very convincing case for how many female goddesses and especially, the trinities, were co-opted by the Christian theology. She takes a stab at Buddhism as well for being a religion of solipsism. The screed at the beginning, while accurate in my mind, may turn off some readers. I know it made me feel depressed and that there would be nothing new told here. But if you keep going you will be rewarded many times over. Walker's scholarship and analysis of myths and their re-working to non-pagan beliefs is excellent. Anyone reading this can approach it as a work of scholarship.

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent, insightful book which spans the ages of woman, September 26, 1998
This review is from: The Crone: Woman of Age, Wisdom, and Power (Paperback)
Don't let the title dissuade you. This wonderful book is not only about older women who have reached the age of wisdom, it is about all women, across all generational boundaries. Many books of the feminist / spiritual genre provide an adequate context for the Goddess, but Walker's book truly gave me an entirely new way to look at my mothers, my friends, and myself. But most wonderfully, Walker provided me with a context for understanding the incomprehensible -- namely the senseless malice projected by so many men, onto the women they purportedly love. This book gave me comfort, nourishment, and relit the fire in my belly. I cannot recommend it too highly.

5.0 out of 5 stars deep research/deep insight, October 17, 1998
This review is from: The Crone: Woman of Age, Wisdom, and Power (Paperback)
Barbara G. Walker has brought her incredible fund of scholarship to our astounded attention once more. Exploring ancient writings, making connections, illuminating our ancient past and current woes, the author has created a masterful work that explains so many, many things. This is a must read for everyone, and a work that will be cherished by thinking women over 40, yet men probably need to read this book more than women do... The linguistic revelations are especially striking.
It all comes together in The Crone. But be warned, don't read this book unless you're willing to be intellectually challenged vis a vis religion, language, anthropology, and feminism.

5.0 out of 5 stars Explosive, June 19, 2000
This review is from: The Crone: Woman of Age, Wisdom, and Power (Paperback)
Every paragraph in this book is a bombshell revelation, written with passion and scholarly authority. It is a wellspring of inspiration and history for women -- history we have been denied about our own heritage. The book had enormous influence on me as a feminist. It is stunning in its intensity and scope. I wish everyone in the world would read it, although it would probably make the blood of traditionalist people boil. It contains explosive challenges to the patriarchal status quo, and particularly to patriarchal religions. There is much fuel for debate here. Strongly recommended!

5.0 out of 5 stars Dangerous Book - It may change your life, October 16, 2007
This review is from: The Crone: Woman of Age, Wisdom, and Power (Paperback)
While many of Walker's ideas seem radical and controversial, the book is extensively researched, her thought process is logical, and in the context of current events the conclusions are totally believable. This book celebrates the place of perhaps the most marginalized group in our culture, while damning the methods and motives of the Christian church from the burning times through today. Crone deserves to be widely read both for its scholarship and its cultural import.

5.0 out of 5 stars Courageous book about Women, April 9, 1998
This review is from: The Crone: Woman of Age, Wisdom, and Power (Paperback)
It seems that the males who discriminate against women simply because they are older, more mature, and better able to cope with life are actually just sexist bigots. While older women have traditionially been considered sources of wisdom (including knowledge of sexuality), males have tried to usurp this traditional status with sexism, cowardice, and deceit. It is a relief to find so good a book on the subject. As feminists everywhere question, implicate, and overthrow the white male patriarchal agenda of hatred, older women will be able to regain their proper status as matriarchs.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Crone Rules!, November 20, 2013
This review is from: The Crone: Woman of Age, Wisdom, and Power (Paperback)
This book was a gift and the recipient made me feel so good from the moment she saw it because she made me feel like I'd made her day. So, the purchase was perfect in every way. I recommend this book for all women. You don't have to be older to appreciate the wisdom it offers. Younger women and men can learn from this wisdom as well.

5.0 out of 5 stars Challenged by the wisdom of the Crone, September 6, 2012
So many times "crone" is spit out like a disparagement and Walker does an excellent job of educating the reader that Crone is an age of woman that brings wisdom and power. She also informs that many institutions feel threatened by wise powerful women and do what they can to relegate women to the role of vessel and burden. This is not my first Barbara Walker book...won't be my last. I look forward to seeing more on her take on women/world fit. I am not, however, a knitter so I won't be reading those books.

4.0 out of 5 stars Unexplored country, January 24, 2010
Frank G. Russell "Russ Russell" (Port Tobacco, Maryland United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Crone: Woman of Age, Wisdom, and Power (Paperback)
Needed for older women for some time, this is a shot in the arm for the older women population. Should be required reading. Very helpful and indeed, life defining for a large number of our largely ignored population.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Crone: Woman of Age, June 1, 2014
This review is from: The Crone: Woman of Age, Wisdom, and Power (Paperback)
i love barbara walker's books. two years ago my copy got too compromised by the mold so i had to get rid of it. fortunately i was able to find another copy on amazon.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

The Crone: Woman of Age, Wisdom, and Power
The Crone: Woman of Age, Wisdom, and Power by Barbara G. Walker (Paperback - February 24, 1988)
$14.99 $12.38