5.0 out of 5 stars A profound and enlightening focus on Galatians 6:14
Published on September 11, 1998

1.0 out of 5 stars The Banner of Moses
The cross is not your salvation. Jesus declared his work done before he died on the cross, authorizing only his words and actions up to that point. His death gives no salvation. Paul was the leaven of the pharisees, introducing Pagan magic to Christianity, and treating Jesus as a sacrifice. God doesn't require human sacrifice. The Cross was essentially the banner of...
Published 19 months ago by Timothy

5.0 out of 5 stars A profound and enlightening focus on Galatians 6:14, September 11, 1998
By A Customer
This review is from: The Cross: God's Way of Salvation (Paperback)
Lloyd-Jones, in nine chapters (sermons) on Galatians 6:14, brings to light the central focus of early Christian preaching. He shows how the cross, and it message, has been God's proclamation of deliverance throughout the Scriptures. It is not simply Paul's message, but that of Jesus, all the epistles, and the Old Testament as well. Lloyd-Jones' passion, as well as his precision in analysis, come through wonderfully in these marvelous messages. A must for thorough grounding in the Christian faith and for those who do not yet know the "heart of the gospel."

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely awesome !, May 15, 2003
M. D Roberts (Gwent, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Cross: God's Way of Salvation (Paperback)
This most excellent book consists of a series of sermons by Dr. Martin Lloyd Jones which were preached in Westminster Chapel, London, during the Autumn of 1963.
Readers of this awesome work cannot fail to be moved by the manner in which this subject is approached. The writer being recognised by many as perhaps one of the greatest preachers of the 20th Century.
The basis of this book is the words written through the Apostle Paul in the New Testament book of Galatians in chapter 6;verse 14;-
"God forbid that I should glory, save in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ..."
The message of Salvation being expounded through the full gospel message of 'Christ crucified'. A message that will hold you throughout this book.
As I read I can but count it loss that I was never able to hear the learned author preach, especially in these days where the central truth of the Gospel is so often ignored amidst the perilous times now facing the World as outlined in Scripture pertaining to the last days.
One particularly moving aspect of this book is that during the course of these sermons in 1963, US President Kennedy was assassinated.
Clearly shocked and saddened by the tragic death of President Kennedy, the writer mentions his death during his preaching. We are left in no doubt as to the uncertainty of this physical life, it's transiency and our inability to save ourselves.
The meticulous study together with the fervent depth of the message provides a message that is extremely powerful. We are left in no doubt as to the importance of Salvation and it's absolute necessity for us all.
Many references are made, not least the glaring parallel between Christ's sacrifice on the Cross and the Old Testament Passover where the Jewish people were spared whilst the first born of the Egyptians were killed.
The blood of a pure, unblemished lamb having been painted on the posts and lintels of the Israelites' doors causing death to pass over them. The shedding of Jesus Christ's blood on the cross at Calvary being the New Covenant, whereby Jesus Himself is the pure, unblemished Lamb of God which now takes away the sin of the entire World, for those who believe in Him.
If you read just one book apart from the Bible about Jesus and Salvation, let it be this one. Highly, highly recommended.
Thanks for listening.

5.0 out of 5 stars Giving worries over to God, August 29, 2001
This review is from: The Cross: God's Way of Salvation (Paperback)
I read this book when a life threatening illness faced me. Nothing can replace the Bible, but D. Martyn Lloyd-Jones used the Bible, Philippians, in showing me how to place my complete trust in Jehovah God to face any trial. He is by far my favorite read for spiritual application in today's world.

5.0 out of 5 stars such wonderful insight, October 13, 2005
This review is from: The Cross: God's Way of Salvation (Paperback)
I started reading this book because a pastor friend of mine had suggested it to me when I inquired about a good book on the cross. I have to say that this book has truly revolutionized my understanding of Christ's sacrifice on my behalf, and what the cross really means. There is hardly one page in the book that I have not underlined and written in the margins. I wholeheartedly recommend Martyn Lloyd-Jones' book "The Cross" for all those who want a deeper understanding of this most crucial matter. I also recommend "The Cross of Christ" By John Stott for further study. God be with you.

5.0 out of 5 stars Powerful and Important, December 7, 2008
This review is from: The Cross: God's Way of Salvation (Paperback)
Dr. Martyn Lloyd-Jones was one of the foremost preachers of the 20th Century. He preached throughout the United Kingdom and the United States, as well as serving for 25 years as minister of Westminster Chapel in London. Lloyd-Jones is of the Jonathan Edwards school, and is widely regarded as one of the most important evangelical figures of the 20th century. His influence is felt today through the preaching, teaching, and writing of the likes of Tim Keller and John Piper. The Cross is a collection sermon transcriptions, which were delivered in Westminster in the Autumn of 1963.

There are nine sermons in the series, all on Galatians 6:14:

God forbid that I should glory, save in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ, by whom the world is crucified unto me and I unto the world.

It is remarkable that Lloyd-Jones, or as he is often fondly referred to, the Doctor, weaned 9 sermons from one verse. It would appear, though, upon finishing the book, that he could have continued for longer. His exposition is exceptional in its depth and breadth. His preaching is a combination of warmth and weight. The first chapter is probably the most moving expression of the Gospel I have heard or read in a long time. His preaching (despite this being in written form) was clearly emotive, cutting to the core of one's heart. He preaches Christ crucified, he preaches Christ glorified, and he preaches that we have no other boast. None!

However, there is not merely emotion to be found in this volume. There is deep Gospel truth being explained on every page. Lloyd-Jones shows the reader how the Cross is the central event of history. He makes clear how the Cross reveals us, the human race, as we really are. It shows us ourselves. The preaching is absolutely grounded in the Bible, also. Anecdotal examples are utilised, but not central. Hymns are quoted regularly, but as illustrations of what the Word says. The book explains clearly and powerfully, significance of the Cross, and the meaning it has for our lives. The quote of the back cover sums things up nicely;

Superficial views of the work of Christ produce superficial human lives.

The message contained in these pages is incredibly important and incredibly powerful and compelling. I cannot recommend it enough!

5.0 out of 5 stars An antidote to shallow views of the cross and the gospel, January 21, 2013
D. T. Kleven (Minneapolis, MN) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Cross: God's Way of Salvation (Paperback)
"An illustration of what we have been doing is what we sometimes do with a great mountain. We can walk round it and see it from different angles, and at times we may wonder whether it is the same mountain. But it is - it depends on the spot from which we are looking at it. We get this view and then that one, and then we find another and yet another... The bigger the mountain, the greater the number of aspects and the angles from which we can view it and see its majesty, its bigness, its glory." (p. 153)

This is an apt overview of this book "The Cross," in which Martyn Lloyd-Jones takes us on a lengthy survey in viewing the cross of Christ from as many angles as he can, out of Galatians 6:14. This book is evidence of why Lloyd-Jones is an evangelical hero, why his preaching has been so helpful and powerful to so many. He goes deep and stretches the mind to try to grasp deeper and deeper truths regarding the Gospel of our Lord Jesus Christ. He starts with the foundation - God's word:

"There are only two ultimate authorities: the Bible or anything else you like. There is no other choice. Everybody bases his opinion either upon this book or else not upon it." (p. 40)

His preaching is so appropriate to our day and age where many are ashamed of the Gospel, and not willing to step on anyone's toes:

"The test of whether someone is preaching the cross rightly or wrongly is whether it is an offence to the natural man or not." (p. 45)

And he plumbs the depths of God's hatred for sin, and yet His love for sinners, how He cannot just forgive sin "with a word," but His justice and holiness require a punishment:

"Do you imagine that God would ever have sent his only begotten Son to the cross if he could have forgiven the sin of men in any other way?" (p. 159)

This book was one of the first books I was assigned to read when I started being discipled in my church. I recommend it heartily to anyone who wants to understand "the wisdom of God" that is on display in the cross.

Christopher Catherwood writes the introduction, and is also the author of Five Evangelical Leaders and Martyn Lloyd-Jones: A Family Portrait, both excellent introductions to the life of Martyn Lloyd-Jones.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Cross: God's Way of Salvation, March 10, 2008
This review is from: The Cross: God's Way of Salvation (Paperback)
This book is about the cross by Dr. Martyn Lloyd-jones.
I think if you read this book, you can really understand the profound meaning of the cross and why Jesus, who is Son of God, should die. I am sure of that.

On top of that, I realized the meaning of the prayer, and what's wrong with my prayer.

I strongly recommend this book to you.

thanks.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it, March 29, 2013
This review is from: The Cross: God's Way of Salvation (Paperback)
Martyn Lloyd-Jones is by far one of my favorite authors. I love the way he explains and presents the truth.

5.0 out of 5 stars THE CROSS: GOD'S WAY OF SALVATION is Timeless Preaching, November 26, 2012
This review is from: The Cross: God's Way of Salvation (Paperback)
Perhaps only the Bible is better use of the reader's time than these sermons by Dr. Martyn Lloyd-Jones, who with power and conviction from the Holy Spirit explores how the apostle Paul was crucified to the world and gloried in the cross of Jesus Christ.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Cross: God's Way to Salvation, November 24, 2012
This review is from: The Cross: God's Way of Salvation (Paperback)
Martin Lloyd-Jones was a very widely read scholar with a deep understanding of the Bible and it's truths. He is probably best known for his preaching and we are fortunate that he lived in a time when many of his sermons, like these, were recorded both in print and in sound.

Of all ML-J's sermon collections "The Cross" stands central to everything he said or wrote. Starting with his text: Galations 6:14, ML-J reveals the person of Jesus, explains why the son of God became man, why he had to be crucified, what he achieved by it and why the Cross of Christ is central to all who believe in the Jesus as Lord.

He capably addresses many objections, theories and explanations for the Cross of Christ.

He does this all with the authority of Scripture.

The Cross: God's Way of Salvation
The Cross: God's Way of Salvation by David artyn Lloyd-Jones (Paperback - February 1, 1986)
$19.99 $14.13