4.0 out of 5 stars Mission Bell, part deux
Published on February 18, 2012 by Sailor1

3.0 out of 5 stars Mission Bell Lite
The six songs on this EP were part of the Mission Bell recording session. I love Mission Bell. The songs on As The Crow Flies sound like the first-time rejects.

Published on February 15, 2012 by Rushmore

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

3.0 out of 5 stars Mission Bell Lite, February 15, 2012
Rushmore (CHICAGO, IL United States) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: As The Crow Flies (Audio CD)

I don't hate this record, but it is my least favorite from an artist I like and respect. In particular, this record suffers in comparison to Mission Bell. The music here is sometimes over-produced and generally does not have the level of intimacy or humanity I usually find from Amos Lee. On a couple of tracks his voice is downright querulous, not a good sound for him.

Reading down the track list of Mission Bell, I kept stopping and thinking, yeah, that's a great song. I don't feel that way about any of the songs here. If the next 6 albums each contained one of these songs, that would be a better solution to the problem of recorded and unreleased music. Hopefully the next album is a return to form.

4.0 out of 5 stars Mission Bell, part deux, February 18, 2012
This review is from: As The Crow Flies (Audio CD)
Nuggets that didn't make the Mission Bell release can be found on this EP. I would say the first track is the only one I have a hard time with, as it's quite the downer, but there are some lovely instrumentals. Simple Things is undeniably Amos, and the more you listen, the more you swear you've heard it from him in the past. If there were a pop hit song, it would be track #3, Say Goodbye, with it's upbeat melody - upbeat is not a frequent offering of Amos Lee! May I Remind You is good for slow dancing to, while the pace picks back up a bit for the nautical tune, Mama Sail to Me. The closer, There I Go Again, is a soulful, bluesy number complete with back-up gospel singers. If you're a fan, you'll want to add this to your collection. Short, but sweet.

3.0 out of 5 stars This is not a regular Amos album, June 14, 2012
This review is from: As The Crow Flies (Audio CD)
The first thing you should know is that this is an EP (or "extended play"), i.e., it contains more music than a single but is too short to qualify as a full studio album (or "LP"). It's basically a collection of songs that weren't good enough to make the cut for Mission Bell.

This is a hard album for me to rate. On the one hand, it is probably the lowest quality collection of songs Amos has released. They're not necessarily bad -- the songs are serviceable, they pass as music, and they're unlikely to offend anyone. But they're just as unlikely to inspire anyone. They are perfectly harmless. Pleasant background listening, is all.

On the other hand, I'm glad Amos released this EP, not just because it gives us more Amos but also because it means these songs didn't have to pollute Mission Bell. It means Amos is more selective about which songs he includes on his regular studio releases. I like that. Just don't be fooled into thinking that As The Crow Flies is regular Amos-quality stuff.

5.0 out of 5 stars made me stop and take notice, January 23, 2013
J. Fry "Jac" (South Ogden, UT United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: As The Crow Flies (MP3 Music)
Although I love Amos Lee anyway, the first song from this album caught my attention and made me go over to look who it was. I ordered the whole album after that and was not disappointed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Another Gem, March 3, 2013
This review is from: As The Crow Flies (Audio CD)
I should preface this by admitting I'm a huge Amos Lee fan. Something in the tone of his voice and the way he delivers the lyrics moves me down deep. While this EP is made up of songs that didn't make Mission Bell, they are far from rejects. I bought this after hearing about 15 seconds of The Darkness. That song remains my favorite here, but I love them all. We're taken through an array of emotions, with both beautiful lyrics and music that cradles the listener all the way through.

This man is brilliant live, sounding even better than he does on recordings. If you ever get the chance to see him, don't hesitate.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great songs, March 12, 2012
PTR (Dallas, Texas USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: As The Crow Flies (MP3 Music)
If you are an Amos Lee fan, you will really like this album. It has new songs on it that are of the same quality that he always produces.

5.0 out of 5 stars Live It♡, May 30, 2014
This review is from: As The Crow Flies (Audio CD)
It was exactly what I expected. Love this CD. AND the price was right! If I had not seen artist on TV I would have not been acquainted with the music. Now Im hooked

5.0 out of 5 stars amos at his finest, April 4, 2014
This review is from: As The Crow Flies (Audio CD)
typical Amos. nice mix. if you like his previous work, you'll like the album. can't think of anything more to say.

3.0 out of 5 stars ok, February 15, 2014
This review is from: As The Crow Flies (Audio CD)
i dunno what amos is going through...this album is ok, but is very short, not that many songs on it

5.0 out of 5 stars LOVE this CD, February 3, 2014
This review is from: As The Crow Flies (MP3 Music)
I'm not a music critic, but I do love music. This CD is just wonderful. Amos Lee sings from his heart! One of my favorite singers today! This is one of my favorite CD's!!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

As The Crow Flies
As The Crow Flies by Amos Lee (Audio CD - 2012)
Rate and Discover Movies