7,271 Reviews
 (3,046)
 (2,255)
 (1,105)

2,132 of 2,326 people found the following review helpful
5.0 out of 5 stars Great Read!
This book is so well written that I suspect that some years down the road we will hear the author's name is a pseudonym of some famous writer. Lots of description made one feel like another occupant in the scene. You could feel the weather, the tension, the pain, the atmosphere in the gatherings. The Audible version had great accents. It is a wonderful mystery with a...
Published 12 months ago by Karen

3.0 out of 5 stars When I read
the reviews of this suspense genre novel, I thought every cliche associated with the genre was being played out: The down and out detective on his last (leg)s, creditors, no clients, just broke up with his girlfriend, a temporary receptionist who is part girl Friday, the suspicious suicide of a famous and beautiful model, and a wealthy client with issues. Hammitt and...
Published 12 months ago by Michael Moore

‹ Previous | 125 26 27728 | Next ›

2.0 out of 5 stars boreing, September 5, 2013
I thought it was slow. Not what I had expected at all. It lacked body or weight to the subjects

5.0 out of 5 stars Spencer Tracy and Myrna Loy, September 4, 2013
This review is from: The Cuckoo's Calling (Audio CD)
In this terrifically engaging page turner, one encounters a host of memorable characters who are expertly developed as well as an intricately written and ingenious plot trolling through London's vulgar rich. There's a wonderfully comic strain throughout this murder mystery too, as Cormoran Strike, who is the son of a berserk famous rocker, and his temp secretary Robin Ellacott play a beautifully restrained game of mutual admiration. I was struck by these characters' resemblance to movie roles played by Spencer Tracy and Myrna Loy as they understated their feelings for one another and yet didn't deny them. Nothing sordid here. Cormoran Strike is recovering from a passionately violent love affair and Robin is engaged to an accountant. Lots of room between them.

The extraordinarily observed gestures that the author provides for such happily jaded characters as Guy Some and Lula Landry and her friends entertained and delighted me throughout. In short, I loved this book and am recommending it to everyone I know and don't know.

I too, like so many others here, am looking forward to the next volume, as J.K. Rowling has vowed to continue the series. Great news for us!

3.0 out of 5 stars The Cuckoo's Calling, September 1, 2013
Not my favorite book. It was bit boring to begin but got better. Maybe too many rambling chapters for me.

5.0 out of 5 stars Cuckoo who, September 1, 2013
Quick reading, I really enjoyed, always love a good murder mystery! Nothing like the Harry Potter series. I would recommend the book.

5.0 out of 5 stars A mystery set in London, well done., September 1, 2013
J.K. Rowling, written as Rover Galbraith, has woven this adult mystery with many interesting twists & turns. Unlike her Harry Potter series, this book does have adult language and situations. However, it is done with class. If you like mysteries you definitely will like this one.

5.0 out of 5 stars Rowling can write, September 1, 2013
This is a fine detective novel, and I hope it's the beginning of a series. I found it very enjoyable.

4.0 out of 5 stars Highly Recommended, August 30, 2013
I am a huge Harry Potter fan, and was sorely disappointed with "The Casual Vacancy". Truth be told, I hated that book, the way it was written, and all of the characters. With "The Cuckoo's Calling", Rowling has hit her stride again. It can't be another Harry Potter, but many of the elements of that series writing are here as well: attention to detail, clues thrown around that don't mean anything until the end, and a clever wrap-up that pulls everything together.

As soon as I finished the book, I immediately skimmed the whole thing again to pick up clues that I may have missed the first time around, and that now really meant something, since I knew all the answers.

Clever plot twists and good writing. This is a page turner that will keep you guessing.

My only complaint is that Rowling is a little too liberal in her use of four-letter words, but that was secondary to the story and didn't bother me as much as it did in "The Casual Vacancy".

I hope this is the first in a series of books with Detective Strike.

5.0 out of 5 stars Read it for yourself don't listen to reviews, August 29, 2013
This review is from: The Cuckoo's Calling (Hardcover)
I was a bit leary about reading this at first due to mixed reviews, however, I found it griping and well written. The use of 'language' (that other reviews found distracting and over-used, are obviously not informed how the British use language) I found appropriate. The descriptiveness of the story painted a full circle picture in my head, which brought the events to life. Some other reviews I read said that it was overly so, I found it to be very nice as it is a mystery and details count. In short I really enjoyed it. It played out well, all the clues were there and it did not seem far-fetched to me. It was a very good read. The title is fitting once you get through the story. I suggest reading it with and open mind on your own views. The fact the JK did write this, did not mean I was going to let it influence my experience, I treated it as a new author. This was a bit of a different reading experience then her other novels so far, and I found it well written, titled and story boarded. There were a few 'JK clues that she wrote it' (I mean in the style in which she writes, tale-tell words she used and outlines) Even if I didn't know she was the author and I read this book, I would read future stories from Robert Galbraith, I enjoyed it that much.

3.0 out of 5 stars No Harry Potter, August 28, 2013
We slow developing story. We do not get inside the main characters enough. Plot was good but took over 400 pages to tell an average murder mystery.

5.0 out of 5 stars Waiting for second instalment, August 26, 2013
J. Zomer "jzg" (San Jose, Costa Rica) - See all my reviews
By now we all know this was written by JKR and it's difficult to measure her after Harry Potter.
I went into this endeavour with a heavy heart after not having liked the Casual Vacancy, but this book is totally different and here are some thing I believe everyone should know before starting it:
You can feel JKRs style all over this book. Her use of the language is impeccable but colloquial and simple without pretences. Second, this is a Mystery. A book about a private investigator and should be approached in that sense and with the perspective of the genre.

Having said that, I enjoyed the story very very much. The characters and entertaining and interesting and I am waiting for the second instalment.

‹ Previous | 125 26 27728 | Next ›