Automotive Holiday Deals GG Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_plcc_6M_fly_beacon Adele egg_2015 Fire TV Stick Grocery Gifts Under $50 Amazon Gift Card Offer minions minions minions  Amazon Echo Starting at $84.99 Kindle Black Friday Deals BestoftheYear Outdoor Deals on HTL

Format: HardcoverChange

on July 14, 2013
I thought it was really fun! absolutely engaging, I found myself intrigued by all the different characters. and I kept imagining Robin as Jenna-Louise Coleman, which only made it better.
I liked how the mystery was good with plenty of red herring and enough clues to figure it out, how the supermodels were not vapid one-note creatures, the variety and diversity of the female characters, the attention paid to detail especially to clothes given how supermodels and designers are a good part of the plot. I enjoyed reading the different ways the characters spoke even their accents at time and I like how you could tell one guy was saying "adopted" in the most disgusting manner just by the way he talked, I thought it was very well done. it wasn't particularly crude or bloody or any of the things other crime novels are but reminded me a bit more of classic mysteries with more attention to the victim and the people than to gorey details.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 27, 2013
This is a great book to cuddle up with in front of a fire. It's set in London, and not being from the UK, I didn't understand all the nuances of locations, but it didn't matter. I liked this book immensely. Great words, descriptions, and especially not "over-the-top" like so many new novelists tend to be. It didn't read at all like a first novel. No, it didn't have non-stop action; it was more cerebral. And rather refreshing to not have the main male character bedding the main female character. I can't go overboard on the praise without being a spoiler, so I will just say that I came back to Amazon to buy another Galbraith book and was saddened to see that not another exists yet. I will be on the lookout, however. A couple of minor editing problems.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 22, 2013
I'm going to break the streak of praise here. The novel is well written (from a distant, omniscient point of view, which is not my favorite) and the characters are actually interesting. I'd have liked to get to know them better and closer but the style precludes that. The novel is so, so slow (and long) without much happening. Properly edited, it could have been a much better novel. There was so much "blah, filler" dialogue that I skimmed page after page. Bottom line, I didn't care about most of the characters, the case, the murder, etc. To be fair, I'm not a fan of "noir" type mysteries. I do wonder about all the hype (and since the author is a pseudonym, I also wonder if he has major connections which account for the hype.)
88 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 10, 2014
How is that possible! An author who wrote the Potter series, each one packed with wonderful adventures and exciting "edge-of-the-seat-page-turning-scenes" has written not one, but TWO dreadfully boring "adult" mysteries. Could not bear to read any further than page 150. All terribly uninteresting, unlikeable characters from page 1. Maybe it gets better, but if an author cannot "grab" the reader by pg 150, there's a problem there.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 19, 2014
Someone recommended this book to my wife. I paid to download it. First mistake.. I read it. Second mistake.

Yes, I am quite old and old fashioned.

This book is a filthy read. The ratio of what I still consider vulgar words to the entire dialogue spoken by fictional creatures must set a new and undesireable mark. I'm guessing five percent. Too much.

In an effort to be ever so clever, the author made the plot too complex. Too many chacters appear in too many improbable settings. Too many of them are related in too many unlikely ways. Too fictional, if there can be such a thing.

The cast includes a motley collection of supermodels, fashion queens, vicious movie moguls, trophy wives, upper class Brits, and low end characters left over from Pygmalion, many of them depicted as drug or alcohol abusers. The detective and his Girl Friday solve the mystery the old fashioned way, grilling the squirming suspect by reciting all the facts gleaned as a result or their super sleuthing.

When turned into a movie, I hope they cast Bogart playing the role of this new Sam Spade, speaking with a phony English accent. He's be perfect. But no. They'll pick Michael Caine.

After my description, my wife chose not to read it for herself. Good decision. I hate to clean vomit off my IPad.
on September 7, 2013
Wow, I think this book is on the best seller list because the publishers announced it was by J. K. Rowling using the name Robert Galbraith. Being generous, I found it dull. I did finish the book but by about page 321, I didn't care whether Lulu Landry was murdered or committed suicide. I know I'm in the minority but I just could not see/understand what all the praise was about.
1515 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 2, 2014
I was advised to read this before the real writer was outed. I was pulled into this detective story and into the lives of the characters in the book. The author has the ability to paint people very well, to make them believable. Galbraith used a number of clever ploys used in the past by writers such as Agatha Christie and Galbraith uses them very well.
I was filled up with the story, and although I read the hints, each of those I suspected were eliminated, and often by me. However I never suspected the ultimate offender, and to me, that makes a great book. It's not often that I don't figure out who did it at least two or three chapters before the ultimate reveal.
The book was well written enough to ensure that I was not bored, and am now looking forward to the next instalment in Cormoran Strike's life.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 21, 2014
Got this from the library and wondered why the waiting list was so short....

After reading 1/3 of it and realizing that I hadn't so much as cracked a smile at what was supposed to be a "hysterically funny" book I decided to investigate what the buzz was.

Ahhh--It's JK Rowling so it isn't a bestseller because of a great book. It's a bestseller because of the author.

I tried for a bit more but once more there was nothing that would hold my interest. Boring dialogue, nothing to hold my interest in the characters....Time to give up and find a good book.
on July 20, 2013
I wish I had read this book before the author was revealed as J.K. Rowling. It was a wonderful book, regardless, and I hope Rowling pursues writing more about Cormoran Strike.

Even when writing about a brutal murder mystery I find Rowling's wonderful descriptions and character insights to be comfortingly real.

A highly recommended read.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
Comoran Strike is a large, fiercely independent and formidably intelligent ex-Military Policeman but if you're thinking that sounds familiar, this is where the resemblances to Jack Reacher firmly end. After service in Afghanistan left him with one leg, he has set up a struggling detective agency. He is hired to investigate the death of a high profile model after she fell from the balcony of her Mayfair apartment. The inquest determined that it was suicide, but her brother believes that there was foul play.

This is the first book I have read by J K Rowling (yes, I was the one), so I cannot compare it to her other books. Initially I thought that I was going to be irritated by the writing style, with its abundance of adjectives and quirky characters. But I quickly put that behind me as I was drawn into the mystery. I also loved some of the descriptions: Cormoran is "a woolly mammoth attempting to blend in amongst capuchin monkeys", another character's mouth puckers around a cigarette "like a cat's anus". For all his oddities, Comoran Strike is a terrific, intriguing character and I also loved the interplay between him and his temporary secretary and would-be sleuth, Robin.

This is at heart a straightforward crime novel. It's not a thriller - no gun fights, no chase scenes - and Cormoran doesn't exhibit any superhuman powers. It's about the slow and steady process of investigation, uncovering clues and closing down red herrings. It's also immensely readable and hard to put down. I would classify it as one of the best crime novels I've read and I very much hope that there will be a sequel.