5.0 out of 5 stars My second best Spanish cookbook, November 8, 2011
Jackal (New Hampshire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Cuisines of Spain: Exploring Regional Home Cooking (Paperback)
This book is organised as a traditional cookbook, but you also get information about the regional home of each recipe. The book has a lot of recipes and a number of picture, but not of all recipes. I find the selection very good.

A comparison with some other books might be helpful for potential buyers:
- The Food of Spain is a brand new book that I don't like at all. Far too many useless picture and not really written for foodies. Two stars.
- Culinaria Spain is great to get more knowledge about ingredients, but doesn't really have recipes. Four stars.
- The New Spanish Table is my favourite Spanish cookbook. I really like it because of its youthful styles with lots of information crammed into sidebars and boxes. Five stars.
- The Foods and Wines of Spain is a bit dated now, but also a very good book. No pictures. Four stars.
- Delicioso! The Regional Cooking of Spain is also a bit dated (same author as previous book). If you buy something from this author makes sure you buy the previous book first.
- 1080 Recipes is not recommended unless you want a book written for young Spanish wife. So it contains some non-Spanish dishes too.

Good luck choosing!

5.0 out of 5 stars Classic and Traditional Spanish Cooking, September 26, 2011
I was never particularly experienced or interested in home cooking, and to me preparing a meal usually consisted of making spaghetti or boiling an egg. Then four years ago, I discovered Spanish cooking. And now, I spend every weekend in the kitchen, furiously trying to recreate those incomparable dishes that I've only had at the best tapas bars.

I have since acquired nine Spanish/Portuguese cookbooks, and have made dishes from each. Most of them are really good, but this one is probably the best, in my opinion. (My second choice being Spain and the World Table). There are several things that set this book apart. First, it is a classic text on Spanish cooking, and as such, it presents mostly traditional Spanish recipes. This almost sounds like a contradiction, because even traditional Spanish cuisine seems so outlandishly delightful and inventive sometimes. But what it means is that here, you won't find any experimental dishes, fusion dishes, or methods for making scientifically enhanced foods - which is ok, because traditional Spanish cuisine itself has so much to offer that you'll never run out of inspiration.(However if you are looking for newer, more experimental ideas for preparing Spanish cuisine you may want to check out The New Spanish Table, or Spain and the World Table).

As a classic text on Spanish cuisine, this book offers the best and most authentic recipes of all the books I've tried. In fact, it probably has the highest number of my favorite/successful recipes of all of my Spanish cookbooks. Some of my favorite dishes from this book are: Clams in Green Sauce, Cordoban Gazpacho, Mixed Salad with Tuna and Eggs, White Bean Stew with Clams, Filet Mignon with Cabrales Sauce, and Oxtails in Red Wine (best oxtail recipe I've ever tried).
Another thing I like about this book is that it contains a nice, thorough introduction to all the regions and cuisines of Spain. It also has beautiful color photos, although many of these are of cultural landscapes and overall there are not many photos of food or finished dishes.

5.0 out of 5 stars Readable and complete, February 11, 2014
Very complete and comprehensive survey of the different dishes around Spain. Recipes are doable in America. Great descriptions of regions and their food.

5.0 out of 5 stars yummy, clear, interesting, February 20, 2013
I bought it as a gift for my husband who loves to cook, it's very interesting and I never knew you could make such cool desserts using only sugar, eggs, and water. We haven't tried too many of the recipes but the one's we have have been delicious and the directions are very clear and easy to follow.

4.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful and informative, October 28, 2012
Great to look at and also really informative. These recipes aren't the typical bowls of oil associated with Spanish cooking as it's known internationally. The information on the various regions is a really nice touch too. Probably the only Spanish cooking book you need.

The Cuisines of Spain: Exploring Regional Home Cooking
The Cuisines of Spain: Exploring Regional Home Cooking by Teresa Barrenechea (Paperback - August 11, 2009)
Used & New from: $14.98