Truck Month Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Goo-goo Dolls Father's Day Gift Guide 2016 Fire TV Stick Luxury Beauty The Baby Store Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Cash Back Offer DrThorne DrThorne DrThorne  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $149.99 All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Outdoor Recreation

on April 27, 2000
In The Cup of Our Life, Joyce Rupp, OSM, offers practical suggestions and meaningful content to aide the spiritual pilgrim in developing a deeper and more intimate relationship with God. Once again, she draws on her own lived experience in offering insight, prayer practices, and meditations that will help the reader connect the routine of her/his life to a growing communion with a loving God.
Organized on a daily basis, Rupp's book encourages the reader to use an ordinary cup (or mug) to invite God more closely into one's pain, suffering, joys, hopes and struggles. She explores six major themes in the spiritual life, each one followed by prayer suggestions including litanies, creative writing, ideas for reflection and journal-keeping, and a celebratory ritual. Throughout, the author manifests a profound trust in the transformative power of the in-dwelling God, and in the dailiness of God's presence with all those who seek with a genuine heart.
Rupp's style is informal, accessible, poetic and, at times, profoundly moving. She is a fine writer and spiritual guide, sharing her experiential insights with great freedom, clarity and lyric simplicity. This is a book I have returned to more than once for its prayerful sensitivity, poetic language and wisdom. I recommend it highly.
VINE VOICEon July 26, 2002
This is one of the most satisfying, uplifting, and encouraging devotion books I've read in many years. It's thought-provoking without being 'preachy'. I love the way the chapters are set up and the quotes included in each chapter are awesome.
And we can all relate to the cup as a metaphor for our lives...whether empty, full, overflowing or even cracked! I highly recommend this book if you're looking for a devotion book that really relates to everyday life.....you won't be disappointed.
on December 2, 1998
I have been following Joyce Rupp for 6 years now. I was grieving a great loss when I stumbled upon "Praying Our Goodbyes". Since then, I have obtained all of her books. I feel that anytime I can read her books is just a blessing. I feel that The Cup Of Our Life slowly opens up our hearts to the treaures that lie within. I can't say enough about this book and the author.
Carym@tellink.net
I found this book very helpful. It's daily readings are short and cut right to the heart! Rupp's insights are not theoretical but practical - born from experience. Our church will use this book as a series for Lent. It fits the time and the theme perfectly. The only trouble I had was keeping coffee out of the cup I used for the reflections!
on September 20, 1998
This devotional is very good. Touches part of my life that no other has touched. How often do books speak to your little dark hidden sins? We know they exist. So rarely do they get the light they need to teach us.
on February 17, 2004
Joyce Rupp is a well-known speaker and writer in the area of Christian spiritual growth, and a member of the Servite (Servants of Mary) faith community. She leads retreats all over the world, and has written six other books on faith development and the Christian life.

This book is designed for personal and group use-and Rupp uses the images of coffee mugs to help start and move the prayerful discussion along. Broken cups and broken lives-empty, half-full and overflowing cups-all with solid Biblical connections which will be familiar and fresh to the reader at one and the same time.

It is a joy to see how a simple, everyday object can be the vehicle for Christ-centered conversation and contemplation. There are many ideas in this book which would help a couple, or a group of Christian friends, or an intentional small group, Sunday School class, or one soul in source of being filled with the gifts the Spirit provides.

Rupp structures the book as Weeks and Days; she also provides suggestions for group use-so if you are a facilitator, most of the work is done for you.

Of course, to benefit from A CUP OF BLESSING, you will need to bring along your mug and an open, expectant mind. And you will befit, if you do.

If you find this review helpful you might want to read some of my other reviews, including those on subjects ranging from biography to architecture, as well as religion and fiction
on September 6, 2015
Have bought several of these books for family and friends. Joyce Rupp is a wonderful and thought invoking author with great insight to people. Gets to the heart of the matter quickly. Have several books of hers and this is one of my favorites. Each day has a thought and prayer as well as a time for reflection. While Sister Joyce is Catholic this book is for anyone of any faith.
on March 5, 2013
I selected this as a study in Lent, being half way through at this point I have decided to use it with a bible study group as soon as we finish the current study, I review a lot of books for this purpose and this one has moved to the front of the list, it is easy to do as an individual but converts well to a group study, the only issue I see is being able to get enough copies of it (was told it is out of print) Amazon has is available through privite sellers(I have used this methiod a number of times and have always been impressed at how well this works) jst hopeing there are enough copies out there for sale
on May 10, 2013
Joyce Rupp is one of my favorite devotional writers. I often use her thoughts and place them in my journal, or quote her thoughts in speaking engagements or teaching assingnments that I may have. I was first introduced to her books with "Fresh Bread." Anyone who enjoys writings that search the heart, lifts it up, settles it down and helps to see God in a fresh way will enjoy it. She's been a favorite of mine for years; it's like having a special friend.
on July 4, 2006
Four of us teachers have met together since the beginning of Lent and this is our second book that we have used in our group. This is a beautiful book,that all of us have agreed,has increased our spirituality and drawn us closer to God and to others around us. We are almost ready for another book to continue our growth and are seriously looking at some of her other books.

This was well worth the money and has been very helpful for us in our daily and spiritual growth.