Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: The Curse of One-Eyed Jack: A Dark Hollows Mystery
Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer CafeSociety CafeSociety CafeSociety  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

on July 4, 2011
The mystery in this book does not reveal itself (at least it didn't to me) until very close to the end. It also doesn't use what I would consider unfair literary license to remain a mystery and I appreciated that. There is an interesting interplay between paranormal activity and plain old common sense that resolves [I thought] reasonably believably in the end.

The main characters have some complexity to them; some dimension. While reading the story I was not only kept interested in the unfolding of the mystery, but in the development of the characters.

The story is complete, in and of itself, but lends itself to further books in a series.

The author's word pictures are vivid and enjoyable. I felt like I was there, which was both gratifying and - at times - tension-producing.

The author creates a gripping, imaginative thriller that kept me interested all the way through; and did so without having to resort to gratuitous sex or endless descriptions of gore. There is definitely violence, but it's well-depicted: enough to set the scene, but not more than necessary to create the tension necessary to the plot.

I do hope to see more development of these characters and their very complex relationships in further books by this same author.

I received a complimentary copy of this book for review.
on October 1, 2013
I loved this book. Great characters - I especially love Ezekiel Crane who reminded me of Agent Pendergast whom you may know of if you have read Lincoln/Child. Loved the supernatural/science aspect and the CREEPS it gave me. Wonderful detail of Appalachian landscape and folklore along with superb character development. If you like mystery, or the supernatural I do believe you will enjoy reading this book.
on March 23, 2013
Sometimes it's hard to tell where science ends and mythology begins. The line has never been more hazy than in "The Curse of One-Eyed Jack." A must read for every fan of mystery, suspense, ad horror.
J. Kent Holloway has written a masterpiece to be place along side of Stephen King's finest.
on July 1, 2011
There are so many things I liked about this book I hardly know where to start. The storyline was well developed - started a bit slow and built to an appropriate climax at the end. The characters were interesting and I learned just enough about them to put them into "good guy"/"bad guy" roles without being overwhelmed with details that didn't add any value to the storyline.

What a pleasure it was to read a mystery/thriller that didn't contain unnecessary sex scenes or vulgar language. The writer did a masterful job of invoking the appropriate feelings without being over-the-top graphic. My imagination definitely got a workout reading this book and I quite enjoyed being able to fill in some of the blanks for myself.

The reason for the four stars is the abrupt way the book ended. I understand there may be more books coming that will feature these characters, but this one story contained more than one mystery which could have been the main storyline. Only one of the mysteries was solved in this book then the main character issues a dire warning and drives off into the night.

I will put this author on my watch list and read his other work. I received a complimentary copy of this book in order to review it.
on March 14, 2014
I'm a huge fan of Preston and Child's Agent Pendergast and now I'm a huge fan of Ezekial Crane. Crane is a complex, cursed hero with deep southern charm, intelligence to spare, some level of supernatural knowledge (that doesn't take anything away from the story) and none of the arrogance that serves as a Pendergast trademark. I love him and I'm looking forward to more stories featuring this hero and learning more about his apparently tragic history.
I never figured out the end of this mystery; the clues were there, I just couldn't wrap my brain around them rapidly enough. The side characters were well written and I kind of hope to see more of Kili Brennan. She added some fun internal dialogue to the story and her analytical mind was a great contrast to Crane's seemingly fly-by-the-seat-of-his-pants mode of investigation.
I'm really looking forward to starting the second book and then eagerly anticipating a third.
on March 21, 2013
What happens when Boone Creek Kentucky suffers a rash of unexplained disappearances and murders? The superstitious town folk believe it's The Curse of One-Eyed Jack. Suspicion and dark secrets come easy to people with more than a little experience with the magic of the Appalachian foothills. But none of it matters to Kili Brennan when her brother goes missing while leading an archeological dig in the nearby hollows. Has he become a victim of One-Eyed Jack?

While Kili tries to solve the mystery of her brothers disappearance, the towns people are more concerned with protecting themselves from One-Eyed Jack. And when Kili enlists the help of local mountain man, Ezekiel Crane, it's impossible to tell if the odds of finding her brother have gotten better or worse.

From beginning to end, The Curse of One-Eyed Jack is a great mystery with supernatural undertones and twists that keep us guessing. The story has a fantastic "grown up's version of Scooby Doo" vibe to it. The plot takes a series of fantastic turns, each leading closer to something ominous. The stakes continue to rise and the mystery builds. And, the entire time, there is a sense as if there's something in the distant bushes watching, pulling strings and orchestrating events... Maybe something supernatural, maybe not.

Everything builds to a conclusion that's both fitting and satisfying. But, as so many great stories do, The Curse of One-Eyed Jack leaves us wanting more. This, however is done by design. It turns out that this is only book one in a three-part series. So there is more fun to follow. I, for one, can't wait!
on July 9, 2011
With the expert blending of science and the occult, Kent Hollaway takes the reader on a fascinating and fast paced journey through the Appalachian Hills of Kentucky. The search for a missing brother leads us to a strange backwoods location, where all is not as it seems. The local coroner, a man named Ezekial Crane who the town believes is evil, has the whole community on the edge. And when more people end up missing, and the mystery of their disappearance and the curse of the One-Eyed Jack becomes known, the town and the reader doesn't know who to trust or what strange occurrence will happen next. This is a gripping, imaginative thriller that is satisfying from the first page on, and is the kind of fact-based mystery that fans of the TV show Bones would get a kick out of. I enjoyed the heck out of it myself.

Kerry Frey - author of the forthcoming [...]
on June 18, 2011
Just finished J. Kent Holloway's "The Curse of One-Eyed Jack" and I have to say; I think it is one of the best thrillers I have read in quite some time. Holloway is on the road to becoming a known mystery writer and writes a book that can be enjoyed by the whole family. Holloway writes without the use of vulgarities and profanity and keeps the reader on edge as the plot unfolds. Take a chance on someone new and read this book, you won't want to put it down. The great thing about the book is it ends with the promise of more to come!
on August 31, 2012
I've read the Enigma Directive books from this author and was not sure on this one going into reading it... but decided what the heck and dove in. I really like Kent Holloways other books, so I had a feeling I would end up liking it but there was still that niggling what if... I should've read it along time ago, it was a great read!! (Figures!!) I didn't want to put it down once I started and lost a bit more sleep to this story than I like to admit.

Definately different than the other series, but I really enjoyed the story as it unfolded. The references to "mountain magic" and Killi's disdain and confusion at Ezekial Crane were amusing and made you wonder more and more as the story progressed. The story kept me enthralled and wondering through most of the book, however the signs were there for the reader to try to figure out the mystery. Of course, as it came to a close, I realized there's another story line at the end I was happy to see there's room for another book, but disappointed at the abrupt ending and the fact that there were some threads there left loose (Like Ash) that I'd really like to know about... :)

I am definately looking forward to another installment, if only to find out more about Ezekial Crane and his past. As always, Kent Holloway released another book I truly enjoy!!
on July 10, 2015
Kent Holloway has captured my undivided attention with his Dark Hollows series. Two of my passions in life are Native American legands and lore, and Americas own tales of "Earth Magic" and superstitions. The Curse of One-Eyed Jack has both! This is a tale set in the hills of the Appalachian mountains, in rural Kentucky, in our current time frame. FBI Crime Analyst Kili Brennans brother is missing and she has gone to Boon Creek, Kentucky to find him. Kili runs into a wall of silence as the County Sheriff tells her; "Go home. It ain't a request,sweet thing. Understand?" Of course she doesn't. Kili meets "The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly" in her frustrating and dangerous search for her brother.
Granny Crane, The Good, is the local Water Witch and highly respected Matriarch of the County; Ezekiel Crane (her grandson), The Bad, is believed to be a practitioner of the Black Arts and is greatly feared by the towns people; and One-Eyed Jack, The Ugly, is the Native American legend of the protector of the Native American burial grounds of Devils Teeth, in the Dark Hollows, north of Boone Creek. The characters are well drawn and draw you into the story. The unusual twists and turns keep you involved, make you want to turn the next page!
I was thoroughly entertained with this book, I loved it and I Will get the next one!