Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: The DASH Diet Action Plan: Based on the National Institutes of Health Research: Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension
Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Songs of Summer Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors

on September 9, 2011
Well, I love this book. The author does an excellent job explaining why the DASH diet is helpful, and does an even better job providing 28 days of a fantastic, realistic meal plan. The book also contains a chart so you can determine if you need to lose a few pounds, and gives tips on how to do that. In addition, there's a blurb about the importance of exercise. However, the true gem of this book is the 28 day meal plan. For that alone, this book is well worth the full price. Highly recommended.
22 comments|293 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
First I have to say I'm a big fan right now of the Flat Belly Diet but anytime science actually backs a new diet plan rather than just some celebrity or marketing dollars, I try it out as it's part of my job.

I began this diet 2 weeks ago and I have had high blood pressure since I was about 20. I went through all kinds of tests because doctors and specialists were convinced there was something massively wrong with me as I weighed 115 lbs, was a vegetarian, and had blood pressure so bad I was vomiting....they couldn't believe I had high blood pressure sorbet thought something was failing internally

Nope, no reason...just genetic. Since then, I've gotten it down with cardio but when I don't have time for cardio, like recently, it goes up again. I have been able to stop taking 2 of the strongest meds I've always taken but I was still having to take diuretics to get rid of the salt in my body to lower my blood pressure as it has NEVER been normal for decades.

Until now.

But I'll get to all that.

Because you'll ALSO lose weight with this. And that ALSO lowers it more...you'll have great energy and never be hungry as well.

So is it another fad? Actually the principles of this, similar to the Flat Belly Diet, are some of the most proven philosophies and largest studies of obesity that make it up in recent years. Yes, it's in medical materials rather than magazines.

However news magazines like it too.

It was just rated the #1 healthiest diet in US News and World Report.

Over ALL diets...Jenni Craig, Nutrisystem, anything.

This was the diet used by the USDA for its health guidelines called "MY PLATE" which updated the food pyramid.

This diet is endorsed by the American Heart Association.

Here are the components:

Type of food
First set of numbers: Number of servings for 1600 - 3100 Calorie diets
Second set of numbers: Servings on a 2000 Calorie diet

Grains and grain products
(include at least 3 whole grain foods each day)
6 - 12
7 - 8

Fruits
4 - 6
4 - 5

Vegetables
4 - 6
4 - 5

Low fat or non fat dairy foods
2 - 4

4 - 5 per week

Fats and sweets
2 - 4
limited

Can this be adapted for vegans and vegetarians? Easily. With lean proteins replacing the lean meats.

Now here's why it works. These components give you the tools to keep you full but specifially have been found to reduce visceral fat faster. Yes, Even Dr. Oz has done two shows on it. Monounsaturated fats such as the nuts and seeds actually help you lose weight if part of your daily diet but within the desired 1600 calorie range.

Whole grains are a big part. Numerous studies have shown fiber and whole and unprocessed foods increases weight loss and helps blood pressure. In fact, some studies have shown that Americans actually haven't increased their caloric intake since the spike of obesity, they have simply increased their prs=eservatives and processed foods. These studies have resulted in even major diet systems making changes to encourage whole foods, such as Weight Watchers. By whole grains, this does not mean "wheat bread" it means "whole wheat bread" and no preservatives. Wheat is no different than white...the nutrients are stripped out, it's just not bleached. Big difference. Wheat is extraordinarily healthy.

Do increasing your fruits and veggies really help? It will lower your risk of all major health issues by extraordinary amounts. And high blood pressure, stroke, cancers are all part of that. Undisputed. Better yet, low glycemic veggies that are not starchy take as many calories to digest them as are in them so you stay full but eat less calories and can do so with more energy and faster weight loss and faster results in getting your heart healthy.

In fact they say you WILL lower your blood pressure in 14 days.

Yes it works. I'd like to see monounsaturated fats play actually a larger part because the "good fats", for me and in so many studies, will be healthy in this calorie range even at more servings (but not exceeding the calorie range) but they know more than me and they are in there and this can give you YEARS longer and very healthy ones at that. It's back by study after study, it's not a fad, and it works.

Note: I had excellent lowered blood pressure and lowered weight but I do not have high cholesterol so I personally cannot give you MY results on that, however, my best friend who has it got off of her medication for cholesterol. However, it took her a month rather than 2 weeks to do so. But she also lost 16 lbs the first month and said she wasn't hungry. I did not have those kind of weight loss results but I'm pretty little to begin with.
33 comments|344 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 13, 2011
The Dash Diet is not a "Diet" but more of a Food Plan. My husband is currently on Blood Pressure Medication. The medication would reduce his blood pressure but not down to within in the "normal range". Two week after being on DASH his blood pressure is in the low "normal range". The DASH is eating right not less. My husband actually eats more now then he use to and has lost 10 pounds. I have lost 5 pounds. We have not started an exercise program yet. We have been doing the Dash for a month now and are very pleased. The only thing I would have liked is a little more guidance as to food labels. She discusses the labels but doesn't really explain what is acceptable levels of fiber, sodium etc. The recipes in the book are also very good. Overall we are very happy with this plan.
on February 27, 2012
The writing and organization of the diet book is good. It would have been very difficult to adhere to it and track it on a daily basis without the aid of the Supertracker.org website (Free website). There should be a strong mention of this website in the book. We tried the DASH website (pay membership) and found it to be near to useless and cumbersome to use, so we cancelled it. The diet itself is great, and it delivers exactly what it promises - Lowering of blood pressure, and loss of weight. After 6 weeks of use my blood pressure went from 138/80 to 122/70 and I lost 12 pounds. This diet really works, and used with the Supertracker.org website is fairly easy to follow.
55 comments|129 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 18, 2005
I visited my physician last spring and learned that my cholesterol was very high - very risky. He suggested that I try this book before using drugs [statins]. I followed the suggestions in the book and voila! Cholesterol level dropped to a safer range.

My doc was surprised -- and now has the book for sale in his office.

Very easy read, and simple to adapt for a traveling professional.

Highly recommended!
on October 13, 2011
I found this book after hearing about DASH Diet. It is very easy to read and understand, with lots of helpful information on blood pressure, cholosteral, healthy eating habits, etc. It even offers menus and food suggestions, exercise and so much more. Anyone wanting to improve their health should read this and find out more about DASH diet.
22 comments|40 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 31, 2007
I highly recommend this book for anyone who is ready to enjoy wholesome food and reap the benefits of a healthier lifestyle. Don't waste your money on another fad diet book. Buy this user- friendly book based on National Institutes of Health research. The forms that are provided make it easy to set goals and track your personal progress. You will develop the skills needed to achieve long -term success as you learn about deciphering food labels, making over your kitchen, and eating away from home. The 28 days of delicious menus, culinary tips, and great recipes will show you that it is possible to enjoy fantastic food and feel full while you improve your health. As a Registered Dietitian and educator I say - order your copy now.
44 comments|153 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 2, 2013
I have been on the DASH diet for 16 weeks and have lost 45 pounds! My BMI has dropped from 34 (obese) to 26.5 (slightly overweight.) For years I was on medication for blood pressure and cholesterol. Last month, my doctor took me off of both. At my checkup last week, my BP was 115/75 and my cholesterol was well in the normal range.

I'm actually enjoying being on this diet. I don't feel deprived. I'm eating a lot of good food and am rarely hungry. As a matter of fact, I usually have trouble eating all of the food that is on the day's menu because I am full before the end of the meal.

I like the DASH diet because I don't have to count calories or points or anything else. The book provides 28 days of meal plans using real food that I cook myself, not special pre-prepared food from the freezer section of the grocery store. The menus are easy to follow and have good food on them (including an occasional chocolate chip cookie.) I haven't followed the menus exactly, but that is OK. The book gives suggestions as to how to substitute appropriate foods for the menu items. The emphasis is on lean protein (fish, chicken, pork, some beef, egg whites, etc.), lots of fruits and vegitables, fiber and low sodium.

One key change that has made this diet successful is portion control. I bought a kitchen scale (to weigh food, not me) and use it, along with my measuring cups and spoons, every meal. For breakfast today, I had 1/2 cup scrambled egg whites on a whole wheat tortilla topped with avocado and 2 tablespoons of salsa, 6 ounces of pineapple, 6 ounces of orange juice and 8 ounces of milk. That is a lot of tasty food! I have no idea how many calories it was, but by measuring each item, I am confident that I ate a well balanced, healthy meal and I am on track for another successful day.

I've tried lots of diets in the past. This is the first one that I would gladly follow for the rest of my life.

Get the book.
on July 6, 2012
I bought this book because it was advertised as a new edition. It is not; it is simply a reprinting with a new cover and some new graphic layout. It is essentially the same as the previous (2005) edition of the book...word for word. In a few cases the wording has been changed, but it obviously wasn't proofread since the incorrect reference to the recipes ("Many of the menus include recipes that are located in chapter 14.") is still in this "edition". (The menus are located in chapter 16, not 14.) I agree with other reviewers that ALL of this information can be found on the Internet. The dashdiet.org site is simply advertisement for this book. A much more helpful site is [...] or any of the many other sites that can be accessed by searching "Dash Diet" in Google. If you are looking for menus, google "Dash Diet menus".
on September 1, 2005
If you have blood pressure issues buy this book! Easy to read, helpful charts, not tons and tons of reading before you can get started living healthy. Just a few easy guidlines to follow. Not any major changes that the rest of the family can't live with. With 20 minutes a day on my exercise bike and the DASH diet I was seeing lower blood pressure in less than a week.