Automotive Holiday Deals Up to 50% Off Select Books Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Train egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Subscribe & Save Gifts for Her Amazon Gift Card Offer cm15 cm15 cm15 $30 Off Amazon Echo $30 Off Fire HD 6 Kindle Cyber Monday Deals Classics and Essentials in CDs & Vinyl Outdoor Deals on HTL

on November 27, 2008
Format: HardcoverVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
When I picked up this book I expected an interesting animal story, and instead found an absolutely engaging page-turner about a wonderful young woman's search for herself in Wyoming. I read it cover to cover in a day-- this is one of the best books I have read in years.

The story of the author's unexpected fork in the road-- the choice to allow a tiny baby coyote to be drowned or to take on its care for life-- and the path she took illuminates so many things about her, and about all of us as human beings. This is a remarkably well-written memoir about a fascinating person and her fascinating animal family. It is a story of about love, both between humans and animals and between a man and a woman-- both stories about figuring out how to be an individual, how to trust, how to overcome fear, and how to accept that we can't always be in control in life. It is also illustrated by some of the most beautiful and compelling wildlife photography I have ever seen. Shreve Stockon is a great photographer.

The characters of her book are all complex and skillfully portrayed. Shreve herself is my new heroine-- a free spirit determined to believe in life and love, despite the knocks and pain she experienced along the way. She is brave, even when terrified. She is wise, even when she is naive or foolish. She takes chances few people would risk, and in the process redefines the boundaries of her own life. It's not at all surprising that a spirit like hers is moving towards a happy ending at the close of the book.

Mike, Shreve's friend and boyfriend, is also a very complex person. Kind, solid, brave, genuine, and also willing to take a chance after enduring a great deal of heartache, he is another person we feel privileged to come to know through this book. I was rooting for Mike throughout the book, just as Shreve seems to be.

Charlie, the coyote Shreve and Mike share their lives with, will be absolutely fascinating to anyone who has ever raised a puppy through adolescence and the accompanying rough patches, as well as anyone who is interested in the unique character of coyotes and wolves. This is both the story of a unique and accidental family and an intriguing account of coyote behavior.

As a person who cares deeply about wildlife, and someone who worked in conservation education for many years, I understand that there are people who will not approve of the choice made by Shreve. I was afraid for her and for Charlie as I read this book, knowing that their fate rested on the edge of a knife, with disaster and heartbreak always looming as very real possibilities. But in the end I believe that Shreve's choice was the right one for her, and I have tremendous respect for her huge heart, toughness, independence, and willingness to take a chance on love. Her willingness to trust in the goodness of strangers has brought a great deal of joy into her life. I sincerely hope that they will be able to continue to find happiness together.

Finally, since I think the author may read our reviews, I just wanted to add a note for her. I feel sure there will be film offers made for this story. If so, don't take the first offer, :), and keep some rights of approval over the script-- don't let them change what is true about Charlie, what is amazing about you, and what is complicated and good about Mike. You really have inspired me to think about what makes a good life. I'll be thinking about your book for a long time, and hope a sequel will follow.
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 24, 2008
Even if this had turned out to be a cutesy-poo "me and my coyote" book, I'd have enjoyed it.

But this is a REAL book! The photographs -- of which there are almost enough to satisfy MY cravings for pictures -- are beautiful and breath-taking and give an idea of what Charlie's and Eli's and Shreve's lives are like in a place I've never been.

And the narrative is so rich -- it's clear that Shreve's decision to take in Charlie opened up a lot of unexpected pathways as they learned to live together while accommodating each other's natures. The book definitely doesn't encourage anyone to make the same choices (raising a coyote among humans) but does bring up questions that we all can address at one time or another in our lives.

It's rare that a book is all that you hoped for and more. I think this may be one of those books I give to all my friends, whether they're animal people or not.
Format: HardcoverVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
The Daily Coyote began (and, I believe, continues) life as a blog. To a large degree, it still reads like one. While I enjoyed the story, it is not something that I would feel compelled to read again or to recommend to many.

Honestly, I probably would have enjoyed the story more had the descriptions of killing the coyotes not been so brutal. I respect Ms. Stockton's honesty, and commend her for being so willing to explain the full circumstances of how she ended up with Charlie. As she explains in the book, there were many who vilified her on the being willing to put it out there for so many more people to read was incredibly brave.

The photographs within the book are stunning - Ms. Stockton has a wonderful eye and a great talent with a camera. I only wished that there had been more photos to enjoy!

The overall story is a love story - love for her new home, love for her new boyfriend and love for this little life that she chose to be responsible for. If you are able to enjoy that part of the story without becoming bogged down with the manner and reasoning behind the death of so many other coyotes, then you will certainly enjoy this story. Unfortunately, my "bleeding heart" got the best of me, which left very little room to enjoy the love story at its fullest and best.
1818 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 22, 2008
I read this all in one night! Sometimes you come across a writer and thier story and it flows like good music, easy to read, thought provoking, finish the book and you want to know more! The Story of Charlie and Shreve is so much more than a story of both of them, its more a story of life choices, intentions, and unconditional love..a story of challenging your fears and not compromising. I related so much to this book and yet left with a new perspective in the way of looking at certains things..This book is so much more than a so many levels! Thank you Shreve for your honesty! Marlene from Cambria.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 23, 2008
This book was a page turner. I was engrossed from the first page. Even though I have followed The Daily Coyote website for almost a year, this book connected all the dots. Everything in the story has fallen into place. Shreve's life in a small town in Wyoming raising and living with a Coyote is heartwarming, scary, challenging and rewarding all at the same time. Add in a love story with a cowboy and fantastic photography, you couldn't ask for any more.
I want to keep following the story.

on November 29, 2008
Like many people who've been following along with the blog, The Daily Coyote, when I learned there was to be a book about Shreve Stockton's experience with Charlie, I was thrilled. The majority of the posts to the blog are photographic, but she has also included text updates, and it was apparent from the beginning that not only does she have an amazing eye for photography, but also an incredible voice in her writing.

There were things in the book that made me pause and reflect on my own attitude; Shreve has a very philosophical bent. There will be those who are critical of her decisions, and the philosophy that led to them, but no one can doubt her sincerity and her desire to do the right thing. I had admiration for her before I read this book, but after being filled in on the things she didn't include in the blog, I stand in awe. Few people have the courage to do what she's done, and even fewer are able to write about their experiences coherently. Even the conflicts she has (with herself, with Charlie, and others) are laid open for scrutiny. Her voice will pull you in, and you will live through it all with her. And it's an exhilarating ride!

This is an outstanding book. Her humor and humility shine through, and the photos of Charlie (and a few of Eli, too) are equally fabulous. Brava!
VINE VOICEon December 7, 2008
Format: HardcoverVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I am one of those people that love all things wild, so of course the story of a woman all but living off the land in Wyoming wilderness appeals to me. That is the guide for this book's following--you need to be an animal and/or nature lover and someone who will not be terribly offended at the idea of a person taming a wild creature. I'm okay with the concept. Even so, the tale of Shreve Stockton's struggle to deal with this loveable coyote is the meat of the book. Stockton writes honestly, simply, with some observation of the beauty around her and plenty of focus on this coyote.

Yes, a coyote named Charlie is the focus of the book. This came as a huge relief to me; I was almost afraid this would become some romanticized tale of love and magic in the fairy tale land of Wyoming. Nope. Stockton is the author of a blog from which this book is based. While she adds the notes of a relationship between her and a hunting guide named Mike, she never step out of the boundaries of the novel, and I think that is what keeps this book going.

I'm sorry to say that it did not entirely thrill me; Stockton has her blogs and a published cookbook but other than that has not stretched her skills as a writer (though I think she does more than fine as far as style and syntax is concerned!). This is a very personal and simple story, fleshed out with fantastic photographs. However, I read it with fondness and awe and respect for what Stockton has done and I am sure plenty of others will have at least the enjoyment I had, if not more.
VINE VOICEon November 29, 2008
Format: HardcoverVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Come on - there are a bunch of us out here who would have given anything to have Shreve's experience. What is it about coyotes - and how we have to admit that, with all the rotten things that are said about them - and all the terrible things that are done to them - and all the really awful things they sometimes do (out of instinct) - we secretly harbor a deep admiration for them! We love the fact that they survive, no matter what. If civilization plots to exterminate them, they just have more offspring to compensate. And was it the Navajos that called the coyote, God's Dog?

This book is a case in point for why we read - to go where we may never have a chance to go; to do what we may never have the courage or opportunity to do! Shreve Stockton is a one-of-a-kind in all ways - a free spirit who follows her own path - a deeply thoughtful person trying to make sense out of all her inclinations - and a good writer, too. She makes us see and feel the red dirt of Wyoming - the pastures and ravines, the cold winds of winter and the blistering heat of the summer. And, most of all, she takes us along on a fascinating journey into the life of Charlie the coyote, from puppyhood to adulthood - with all his licks and bellyrubs and growls and glowers, as she searches for alpha dog status.

Along with a memorable story come Shreve's great photographs, which document all of Charlie's growing up - his love of Eli, the cat, and his physical changes from adorable puppy to sometimes menacing adult. It took a lot of determination to work with Charlie's wildness and find that happy, but always somewhat guarded balance of love and loyalty. It was a real treat to go along for the ride! Bravo, Shreve - I hope you're working on the next chapter of Charlie's life!
on November 20, 2008
My heart and head are still spinning. I was overwhelmed by her writing, the emotions, how she made me feel as if I were just down the street, and the powerful, reflective emotions of my OWN life as I read their story. A great read for anyone!

As a side note, if you have any type of health issues, I recommend also purchasing Ms. Stockton's book Eating Gluten Free. I never felt as if I had a gluten intolerance; however, I did suffer from hives for 17-18 years. I have been symptom free for months now, and truly believe that Ms. Stockton's research and writing have saved my mind and spirit, if not my life.
VINE VOICEon December 14, 2008
Format: HardcoverVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Shreve Stockton blindly and boldly moves her life to a small town in Wyoming and this is her story of personal survival. Along the way, she meets a man named Mike(who happens to kill coyotes for the government) that presents her with a tiny baby coyote pup that she raises as a pet.

The book chronicles her life during the fist few years of her life with Charlie, (the coyote) as well as her relationship with Mike- though the story predominantly focuses on Charlie.

To earn a living, Shreve sets up a subscription service on the internet for people to receive a photo a day of Charlie which eventually leads to a blog. (and later yet, a book deal.) She reveals that the blog garners her a great deal of both positive and negative attention about her raising a wild coyote pup. I sympathized with her over this, though I guess it was somewhat to be expected. I applauded her when she said that once she grew weary over the verbally violent flame wars that would develop on the site, that she removed the comment section altogether.

Shreve has a distinct gift for writing, as well as for photography, and her pictures of Charlie and the beautiful Wyoming wilderness are liberally scattered throughout the book.

My only complaint is that I wish she had not revealed that she only had 6 months to complete the book. The book does in some places read like a personal diary, and it can be repetitive, especially with regards to her clothing. I appreciated the little details about her life, but I was more interested in what kinds of meals she prepared with a grocery store hours away rather than what dirty clothes she put on that day. I think that with more time, this book could have been a knock it out of the park classic if she would have been able to further flesh out her own struggles with daily life, rather than focusing mostly about Charlie.

There are some truly golden nuggets of wisdom in this book, and while it is a story about a woman and her coyote, I wanted more about how she adapted to a rural lifestyle after having moved from the city.

With regards to her decisions on how she raised Charlie, I have no judgments and I respected her decisions. When she had difficulties, I appreciated how she would diligently seek answers, including reaching for Caesar Milan's book when Charlie started showing aggression.

It's a good read, and I hope to see another book from her - one that will continue her own journey.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse