Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Men's Leather Watches Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon King Explore Home Audio All-New Amazon Fire TV Subscribe & Save Valentine's Day Cards Knock snow out cold Amazon Gift Card Offer girls2 girls2 girls2  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Winter Sports on Amazon.com SnS

Format: Audible Audio EditionChange
Price:$17.95

on February 6, 2007
The Message is a very readable translation. Eugen Peterson does a good job of 'translating' the text. There is some personal interpretation, but that's ok if it causes one to read and dig deeper. I purchased this particular 'in a year' version for my mother in law. I have the standard book and it is quite readable. For reasons I do not know, the one year version was printed in teeny, tiny, almost need a microscope font. My mother in law cannot see it at all. I have 20/20 and must squint and focus to read it.
11 comment45 of 48 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 10, 2000
This book provides the quickest way I know to have my heart touched first thing in the morning as I awake, turn to these pages, and know that Jesus loves me. His guidance is there each moment as the vicissitudes of daily living go on. Eugene Peterson and his wife have brought us a gem in this book. Every household needs it.
0Comment36 of 38 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 11, 2007
I make it a practice to read a different version of the bible every year. This version is written in every day language and easier to understand than some. Each day takes about 10-15 minutes and includes part of the Psalms with several reflective questions following the reading. I rated it a '4' because the print is small. If you are looking for an easy to read paraphrase, this is a good choice.
on December 25, 2006
I just received this for Christmas. I love the translation, but I want to caution people that the print is really, really small. I think it's 8 pt. So, now I'm wondering if I can actually read it, or if the eyestrain will be too much. Caveat emptor.
on February 22, 2007
I have given 6 of these away and everyone who recieved one has loved it. It has added a whole new dimension to their quiet times and understanding of the scriptures. I highly recommend it.
on October 5, 2009
I read the entire NIV each year for about 17 years. Then I switched to the TNIV, which was refreshing for a few years. However, I gradually grew weary of my daily bible readings. My eyes saw the verses, but my brain too often decided that it had already delved into their meaning. Eugene Peterson's translation is terrific for recharging the will to listen carefully for God's voice in his word. This version gives six readings per week. It allows one day per week for meditation (or for catching up on a missed day). It is nice to just flip open the page to today's date instead of consulting one of the many bible reading schedules that are available.
Petersen often translates Hebrew names, which is something I wish other translations would do more often. The Jews knew what the names meant, and clearly names were more important to them than they are in our culture. Also helpful are English translations of some of the Hebrew names of God.

Living languages change continually. It is important to resist trying to latch on to one translation for so long that the language used is so different from day to day usage that the message is lost. Peterson is a scholar and a pastor. He studied and taught the original Hebrew and Greek. He also preached the word for decades.
This is not some lightweight paraphrase. Enjoy!
on January 7, 2009
This is a different type of "through the Bible in one year" Bible. There are actually six days of readings per week and one day of suggested reflection. The Bible is presented Old to New Testament broken up into daily segments, so there are not Old and New Testament readings each day. I love the modern language. You will not see chapters/verses as in most Bibles. What you get is continuity and I have found that to be interesting and very helpful in getting the "big picture" view of events. I recommend it.
on January 14, 2009
Oh, how I wish I'd read prior reviews. Answer to the question is the eyestrain worth it? No. I love Peterson's translations and was so looking forward to reading the Bible through with The Message this year, but was so disappointed to (barely) see the tiny print and cheap paper.
on May 21, 2011
I originally bought this in hard cover from our local bookstore. I thought this would be a good way to read through the Bible in the Message version, which I find very insightful. I really enjoyed it, but found the font size way too small. So I bought a Kindle with the thought that books like this could be read much more easily with a larger font size. I was not disappointed at all - this book came out in the Kindle version the same week I got my Kindle, and I have been enjoying it more than ever. An ideal way to start the day!
on January 29, 2007
My husband and I are hooked on the Message Bible and I was happy to see it in this format for such a wonderful low price...in the bookstores they are expensive! I love that it's a "daily reading" and that it has Psalms as part of each reading (and other NT books further on I noticed). Our church is traditional with the KJV which I still love, but the Message brings God's word to life in a whole new way for our personal consumption and devotion time.