5.0 out of 5 stars Good History, Even A Non-Fan Of Sports Would Enjoy It
Published 24 months ago by Jeffery W. Turner

3.0 out of 5 stars pure propaganda
Not what I was expecting. I love the dallas cowboys football team, but I dont like this book. Pure negativety.
Published 18 months ago by urban ledgend

5.0 out of 5 stars Good History, Even A Non-Fan Of Sports Would Enjoy It, December 29, 2012
Jeffery W. Turner (Fort Worth, TX United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Dallas Cowboys: The Outrageous History of the Biggest, Loudest, Most Hated, Best Loved Football Team in America (Hardcover)
While I have lived in North Texas my whole life and played high school football I am hardly a sports fan and could care less if the Cowboyts win or lose. However, the Cowboys are part of life here and are truly larger than life. Having seen their games all of my life and being a history buff I bought the book for something different at a bookstore at DFW airport one Sunday on my way to Michigan on a business trip.

I started reading and I was instantly enthralled by it. It is well written, full of detail, but more importantly tells the story of the team and its effects on the local culture. It is not heavy on on footballl stats so if you want that this is not for you but yes the major games and win/loss records are in there since they are part of the story. Just as the many personalities from Tom Landry, Tex Schram, to Jerry Jones are. And yes many of the famous players are there to paint the rest of this fascinating sports history canvass.

So I would highly recommend this book, even to non-sports fans and yes even to haters of The 'Boys too.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Dallas Cowboys, September 26, 2012
If you are a football fan, a Cowboy's fan, or simply have Texas in your heart, this book, THE DALLAS COWBOYS is for you. Sneak into the clubhouse and enter the world of good ol' boy Don Meredith, speedster Bob "Bullet" Hayes, top-heavy Cowboy cheerleaders, seething Bob Lilly, the Clint Murchison ticker tape parades down the streets of Dallas, Tony Romo and his bracelet of beauties and into the calculating mind of Arkansas ousider Jerry Jones. It's all here. And as you read, you come to realize that professional football is more than a game, it is an attitude, a religion to some, a way of life to others, it's the embodiment of the American spirit, and the Cowboys are after all, America's team.

5.0 out of 5 stars An Instant Classic, December 4, 2012
This exhaustive and yes sometimes exhausting book is one of, if not the best sports books I have ever read. Now in the interest of full disclosure I have been a Cowboy fan for the past 45 years and a DFW metroplex resident for most of those years. As a college student at the University of Dallas I watched Texas Stadiuum being built and my wife and I [ still students at the time ] worked the very first event held there. This book, it's few factual errors being noted, is a must for the true fan. Mr. Patoski tells an honest story of the Cowboys, larger than life owners, players, politicians, celebrities, media and of Dallas-Fort Worth history of the times and he brought me both smiles and grimaces. Love em or hate em, including the current owner, the Cowboys remain America's Team.

5.0 out of 5 stars More then just a sports story..., October 31, 2012
... a first rate cultural history of Texas, Dallas and the special place football has in the state. The book not only shows the contrast between the Jerry Jones's Cowboy's of the 21st century and the 1960's version, but also the straight line of the team's metamorphosis from then to now. I went to UT(Austin) from 1973-1977---the writer knows this saga very well.

4.0 out of 5 stars detailed but wordy, October 27, 2012
I have been a Cowboys fan since I was a little boy. That said, I knew very little about the history of the franchise. I "purchased" the free 50 page sample of this book and found it to be an interesting read. The actual book lives up to the sample however, there is considerable bias and stereotyping of Southerners and Texans specifically. I am a patriotic Canadian and like to poke fun at Americans in general, but some of the author's comments go beyond even my limit. When it comes to the actual football history, the author spares no words in describing the situation. Despite the length of the book, it is an easy read and most Cowboy fans will find it an enjoyable journey.

3.0 out of 5 stars pure propaganda, June 14, 2013

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book, December 4, 2012
Lots of good Dallas info. Maybe too many details but well worth reading. Author is very Texas knowledgeable and I now want to read his other books.

5.0 out of 5 stars Must read for any Cowboys fan, June 5, 2014
I grew up a fan of the Staubach and Aikman era Cowboys, and learned a great deal from this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good book, May 17, 2014
The book was great and great I went to read this book I liked it. A lot thanks for the book
Owner . Cooper ryan beardmore
NBA BOOK IS THE BEST I LIKE THAT ATHOR.

4.0 out of 5 stars A Good Read, May 7, 2014
I enjoyed reading this book about my Cowboys. It was entertaining and historical at the same time. Lots of stories, lots of insight into the inner workings, and a big picture view covering the owners, the city, the cheerleaders, the media, game by game outcomes, the big name players, and the drama played out as they all interacted over the first 50 years.
Other books on the Cowboys are more detailed, personal, and "juicier," covering individual player/coach time frames (this one is written from the perspective of a reporter or analyst, not a player) but this book manages to put the whole team in perspective.
Obviously extensively researched, and nicely written. Not a cotton candy fast-read novel, but a book that I came back to every time during the course of a three week period without being tempted to read something else or getting bored at all.