4.0 out of 5 stars Nice Infectious folk-pop melodies
Published on May 8, 2010 by Erik C.

3.0 out of 5 stars My least favorite MPPA album!
I've only been a fan for a few years now, but in that short time, I have devoured all that Matt Pond & Co. had to offer. I love the strings, the rhythms, and soothing vocals. These are some seriously talented individuals, and even play live with the same vigor! (Although without the Cello since it's a bulky SOB)

My recommendation is to buy this album, AFTER you...
Published on August 8, 2010 by Randy Brown

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice Infectious folk-pop melodies, May 8, 2010
Erik C. (Clifton Park, NY USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Dark Leaves (Audio CD)
My first impression of the new Matt Pond PA release was a not so good review from Pitchfork Magazine. The reviewer labeled this album as just bland uninspiring pop melodies that seem to never go anywhere, paraphrasing of course. Now I have been a huge fan since Emblems, an amazing album, and of course, Several Arrows later, which I think is their best so far. I was a bit taken back with "Last Light" but grew to really appreciate it and now it is one of my favorites. The same can be said for this new release. The melodies from the new release did not immediately sink in for me, but it took a few listens. By about the fourth listen, the melodies became infectious, the lyrics inspiring, and now I just consider it just incredible beautiful music. The first six songs are just amazing, and its hard to find a favorite among these. The album does slip in quality at the end, hence the four star review. But all in all, this band is stunningly underrated and this is one of my fav releases so far this year along with Shearwater, The National, and Midlake. So before you jump to conclusions on the first listen to this, give it a chance, and the melodies will sink in and you will hear it. Thanks Matt Pond PA for another great album!

And just an update on Pitchfork, they are not the end all "authority" of music quality. I like a lot of music that they rate high, but not all of it. And I like many albums, like this, that are just deplored by Pitchfork. But I have noticed trends over the years and this magazine appears to consistently hate every release from certain artists, such as Matt Pond PA and yes, even Pearl Jam receives poor ratings. Midlake's new album is also rated very low. So don't take these ratings as the gospel...and Pitchfork seems to think they rate artists albums based on ingenuity and creativity. Well, sometimes basic melodies with nice lyrics are better than the creative crap they rate as high. So that is my rant and rave on Pitchfork...since they will not let readers comment on their reviews...

5.0 out of 5 stars Back to Basics, April 18, 2010
This review is from: The Dark Leaves (Audio CD)
With The Dark Leaves, Matt Pond gets back to the gentler sound of albums like Emblems and A Few Arrows Later, as opposed to the harder-edged sound of Last Light. For me this was an improvement as Emblems is my favorite Pond album. It's too early to say which tracks are my favorites, but I've listened to the album a couple of times already and enjoyed it from start to finish. If you're a Matt Pond fan then this is a return to from and a must have. If you aren't a fan yet, then this isn't a bad place to start. The Dark Leaves is another of Pond's excellent efforts with soothing folk melodies and smart lyrics.

That is all.

5.0 out of 5 stars It Grows on You, December 6, 2010
This review is from: The Dark Leaves (MP3 Music)
I'm a big Matt Pond PA fan, but after my first listen from his latest effort, I thought it was just okay. But after the magical 3rd listen, I felt this one is much stronger than I originally expected. Now it's one of my favorite albums he's put out. My advice to someone listening to this for the first time is have patience. It's worth the wait.

5.0 out of 5 stars Another Amazing Album, March 25, 2011
This review is from: The Dark Leaves (Audio CD)
This is just a great album. I was a little skeptical at first, and it took me about a year to buy it. But once it got it to my mp3 player. I must have listened to it for at least two-three week straight [and I have a 9-5 where I listen to music all day, so that is a lot of listening to this album].

My Top tracks: (in no particular order)

Starting
Running Wild
Specks (I love this song!)
Sparrows (Great chorus)
Brooklyn Fawn
Ruins
The Dark Leaves Theme
First Song

Also, if you like mpPA, you should check out all of the b-sides for this album. There are some really good ones!
-Starting 7" (two non-album songs: The Color Of Space (instrumental) - Stopping (one of my favorites))
-Remains (I don't know if this is a 7", but I found them on Napster and I think there are 3 non-album songs)
-Two songs from joining mailing list on their website [Spring Fawn - Sugarbush (another great song!)]

5.0 out of 5 stars Matt Pond's best Album, June 27, 2010
This review is from: The Dark Leaves (Audio CD)
What more could one ask for, great lyrics, great melodies and hooks to pull the listener in. Awesome! This is this great group's very best album, and it gets better with age. The more I listen to it the more attached to the cuts I become. With not a poor selection on the album, it's tough to even pick a favorite, so I'll give two to contend for the honor: Specks, or Sparrows, both addictive tunes that I never get tired of hearing.

I hope there are many more albums to come; this group has become my favorite.

3.0 out of 5 stars My least favorite MPPA album!, August 8, 2010
This review is from: Dark Leaves (LP + mp3) (Vinyl)

My recommendation is to buy this album, AFTER you have been enamored by his older albums mainly just to support your new favorite band. Dark Leaves just does not blow me away like basically the rest of their discography. The order of highest quality is as follows:

1. Nature of maps (Winner winner, chicken dinner)
2. Several arrows later
3. Emblems ("The Butcher" is one of his best)
4. Last light ("The Crush" brings serious guitar solos like never before)
5. Freeep*
6. Green fury
...
7. Dark leaves (Basically, only the first 2 songs remind me of the real MattPond)

* = Yes, this is an EP, however, the fact that MP provided the entire album for FREE to his fans grants him eternal street credit! Despite being free, this has like 8 tracks, some intrumentals, but honestly, some truly excellent tracks. Get it!

Happy listening.

Note: some of my current favorites besides MPPA are: Ted Leo & RPhs, Pinback, Aloha, Rise Against, Benton falls, Minus the bear to name a few.

The Dark Leaves
The Dark Leaves by matt pond PA (Audio CD - 2010)